Fun at Muncie Dragway Test & Tune w/ Ted & Richard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at Muncie Dragway Test & Tune w/ Ted & Richard

Muncie Dragway's Test & Tune Wednesday Night, August 5, proved to be entertaining. Ted Harbit e-mailed that he and Richard Poe were going with their R2 and R1, respectively, 1963 Lark Custom 2-doors. My brother Stanley was also going to be there with his 1967 Fairlane 427, now 425 HP with dual quads.

Noblesville, Indiana's Riverview Hospital, currently Jim Turner's domicile while he recuperates, is about a third of the way to Muncie from Brownsburg, so it was good to visit Jim on the way across the state to Muncie Dragway yesterday afternoon. Muncie was running a full quarter-mile last evening, just as God intended drag racing to be. (A little editorial comment, there...)

It was good to be back at Muncie Dragway watching Ted and Richard participate; the first time I had been to the strip since Ted's May 9th "unpleasantness." (No, I was not there May 9th, either.) I asked Ted if they had a special, commemorative plaque on the new post holding the left lane scoreboard. He said, "No, but there's a pretty big pile of dirt down there, where they had to unearth things to get it back in position!"

Traction wasn't quite as good as the previous weekend, so Ted and The Stude Tomato did not post the remarkable, steady 12-second times characterized by his outing a few days earlier. Ted and The Tomato made five runs. Times were from 12.974 - 13.675. Terminal Speeds ranged from 102.55 - 108.42.

Ted's third run was amusing. He was approaching the eighth-mile on a good run when I noticed the drivers door having popped open and being held on the safety! Ted wasn't fazed; he unlatched the door, swung it wide, and slammed it shut...and still posted a 13.187 ET at 106.77 MPH on that run!

Richard Poe's remarkable, charcoal R1/4-speed 1963 Lark Custom 2-door remains what must surely be the fastest R1 in the country. He frequently gets into the 13s, but not last night before I left. He had made six passes by that time, posting ETs from 14.062 - 14.587. His terminal speeds ranged from 94.14 - 97.04.

However, Richard may have done better after I left: He was far back in line for another run when I left about 10:00 PM. It's 85 miles and almost two hours to get home, so I needed to head out. I called him this morning to check and there was no answer, so if you did better on that last run, Richard, please post!

Two items of Studebaker amusement were to be had during competition. The better of those involved not Ted Harbit, but Richard Poe. Richard's third run, to be exact.

To set this up: These were practice runs, where you run heads-up against anybody who happens to show up in the other lane, unless you've previously scheduled a grudge match. You might have a f*rt-pipe rice rocket in one lane and a rail dragster in the other, but the lights come down at the same time, and may the faster machine/driver combination win.

Most folks reading this will remember the black 1955 Chevy 2-door sedans featured in the movies Two-Lane Blacktop and American Graffiti.

Well, there was a clone at the Muncie Dragway last night. Kind of a combination of the two, a nicely-engineered, primer-black 1955 Chevy 2-door sedan, void of any exterior trim. The Muncie competitor was a wicked-looking straight-axle gasser, high all around and even higher in the front, with no front bumper and the requisite radiused rear wheel wells. Power was a 496" big-block Chevy rat motor with 4-speed, running through mean-sounding open headers and ingesting air through a monstrous hood scoop. And it sounded and ran good, too.

Now you're probably getting ahead of me, but that's OK...I'll tell the story anyhow.

So this gasser clone snorts and rump-rumps up i
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for posting! That story of Mr.Poe and the gasser is classic!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Cool stuff. My comment should do nothing to take away from the good time had by all, but still...
      There is something seriously wrong with a 500 inch big block Chevy that barely dips into the 14's.

Comment

can you say GEARING?

Comment

WOW, what a story. Sure are some good times being run lately up there by the Studebakers.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Cool stuff. My comment should do nothing to take away from the good time had by all, but still...
            There is something seriously wrong with a 500 inch big block Chevy that barely dips into the 14's.
            True, Dan; I agree.

I actually went over to have a look at the gasser clone in the pits after the race with Richard. I mostly wanted to see what engine and transmission were in it.

The owner/driver was there, so I engaged him in conversation. I complimented him on the car's workmanship because, as we know, "projects" like this can sometimes be engineering disasters. But this one seemed pretty nice. He allowed that he "had some work to do on the transmission," but didn't say what that was.

The race itself seemed "clean," too; both cars sounded good and steady up through the gears, although it was easier to hear the gasser because I was on that side of the track and it had open headers. There were no apparent missed shifts, obvious backing off, or other irregularities in the course of that run. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob! And Richard..... and Ted!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

great report and great writing, Bob!

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
                53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Great story Bob! [^] You really do have a talent for using writers' license with some of the words, I love it.

Quote: "Only a set of polished Cragar mags suggests that Richard's car wasn't accidentally detoured onto the drag strip by a senior citizen who got lost on his way to Wal-Mart for a package of Depends."

Some day, I'd like to hear a conversation between you and Biggs trying to outdo each others' rare, never heard long words! [^] [:0]

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Thanks Bob! And Richard..... and Ted!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1963 Cruiser
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President two door

What he said! LH
                    Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Bob wrote "Richard's car wasn't accidentally detoured onto the drag strip by a senior citizen who got lost on his way to Wal-Mart for a package of Depends."

I was trying to find the Old Country Buffet to use my Senior Club card.

Good job again Bob! I had one more pass and had a 60' time of 1.993 and a second 8.99 1/8th mile on the way to 14.113 1/4. My 60' times were all between 2.069 and 1.993.

You can't go wrong taking your Studebaker to the drag strip and racing with good Studebaker friends like Ted.
                      Richard
                      The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Who knows?
                        The Chevy might have had only a few passes on it, and the Stude running right on the numbers after a thousand passes...
                        The fact that everybody was out having a great time is way, way cool!
                        Yer' giving me the itch bad....
                        I was ready to go to the new (to me) 1/8th mile track 21.3 miles from my place last Saturday night...
                        But they rained it out early due to rain on Friday night and the forecast for more rain Saturday afternoon...
                        You guessed it... Not a drop fell Saturday...
                        Oh well...
                        Great to read Ted out there flogging (and go Richard!)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

True, Dan; I agree.

I actually went over to have a look at the gasser clone in the pits after the race with Richard. I mostly wanted to see what engine and transmission were in it.

The owner/driver was there, so I engaged him in conversation. I complimented him on the car's workmanship because, as we know, "projects" like this can sometimes be engineering disasters. But this one seemed pretty nice. He allowed that he "had some work to do on the transmission," but didn't say what that was.

The race itself seemed "clean," too; both cars sounded good and steady up through the gears, although it was easier to hear the gasser because I was on that side of the track and it had open headers. There were no apparent missed shifts, obvious backing off, or other irregularities in the course of that run. BP
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Great entertaining writing for sure.

Any idea what the real boost psi is on the Tomato and PBW? Or their rpm across the stripe? I wonder how the weights of the Lark and the Fairlane compare.

When they were new, the Ford 427's were probably one of the most difficult of the muscle era engines to get parts - even Shelby had problems getting 427 engines. The legend of the Ford 427 FE in all its variations have followed it in the collector market - along with the money that collectors are willing to pay. The prices of 427 FE parts is so high that it supports a whole cottage industry of companies making repro parts for several versions of the Ford 427 engine, including the S.O.H.C.

Either that 496 '55 gasser was very sick, or it was just a cruiser with sound effects. My naturally aspirated pump gas 496 'Camino has run 101 mph in the 1/8th, and 125 mph in the 1/4 mile - in street legal trim.

Still, that is quite the image of the unlikely pairing of the "R1 That Could" vs. a thundering Two-Lane Blacktop '55, with the Stude emerging victorious.

Thomas

Comment

The PBW was able to give a little more boost than the Tomato and we contribute that to the PBW having the two smaller belts rather than the single wider belt on the Tomato.

By blue printing the superchargers, using the high output pulleys, sandblasting the pulleys, etc. the PBW could get to almost 8 psi at the carb (about 6 in the manifold) in the first three gears but would only get to about 7 psi in fourth and would start dropping off about 5500 rpm and cross the line around 5 psi.

The Tomato will get to about 7 psi in the first three gears at the carb and about 6 in fourth and also starts to drop off about 5500 and is about 4 at the line.

We are guessing the reason for the extra psi in the first three gears is due to the engine revving up much quicker than it does in fourth.

Both cars cross the finish line at about 6200 to 6300 rpm. When we tried the 4.89 gears in the PBW it crossed the line at about 6700.

For some reason the Tomato is heavier than the PBW. In 2007 at the Pure Stock Drags (didn't get weighed in 2008 due to rain out) the Tomato with driver weighed 3558 and the PBW 3440. A good part of that was due to more fuel in the Tomato. Stan's 427 Ford weighed 3513.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

Great entertaining writing for sure.

Any idea what the real boost psi is on the Tomato and PBW? Or their rpm across the stripe? I wonder how the weights of the Lark and the Fairlane compare.

When they were new, the Ford 427's were probably one of the most difficult of the muscle era engines to get parts - even Shelby had problems getting 427 engines. The legend of the Ford 427 FE in all its variations have followed it in the collector market - along with the money that collectors are willing to pay. The prices of 427 FE parts is so high that it supports a whole cottage industry of companies making repro parts for several versions of the Ford 427 engine, including the S.O.H.C.

Either that 496 '55 gasser was very sick, or it was just a cruiser with sound effects. My naturally aspirated pump gas 496 'Camino has run 101 mph in the 1/8th, and 125 mph in the 1/4 mile - in street legal trim.

Still, that is quite the image of the unlikely pairing of the "R1 That Could" vs. a thundering Two-Lane Blacktop '55, with the Stude emerging victorious.

Thomas

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2

Thomas
                              True, Thomas, about the 1955 gasser clone.

I don't think it was sick or ailing, but certainly agree it should do much better. There was no readily-apparent reason for his barely getting in the 14s. Had there been, I would have mentioned it, in fairness to him.

He certainly had a good launch and 60-foot. But nobody shifts a 4-speed faster than Richard Poe; I mean nooooobody! So the gasser's driver surely lost just a little to Richard with each shift. Or to paraphrase the Alan Jackson hit, "It's all right to gain a little bitty [at each shift]."

(Remember, Ted Harbit told me personally that he has never, and could never, shift a 4-speed as fast as Richard Poe. That's saying something, and Ted was dead serious.)

So who knows about the '55 gasser clone?

It sounds like you've been racing for a while, too, so you know the old adage about "what can happen on any given Sunday....!" (or, in this case, Wednesday evening...) [8D]

'Glad you enjoyed the post. It was indeed a fun evening at Muncie Dragway. Good weather, good friends, and fast Studes...and the concession stand had a cheese-drenched, seemingly 50/50 ratio on the nachos & cheese (burp). BP

Comment

Working...
                              X