Avanti rear gears??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti rear gears??????

What gears were in the avanti's when sold?sounds like they were steep gears i.e. (4:10)[8D]

Depends on the transmission, my '63 R1 with 3 spd MANUAL had a 3.73.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I believe 3.73 was standard but 3.31 to 4.09 could be ordered. My 1st Avanti was originally shipped to Hawaii and had a 4.09 open end rear axle. It eventually came to Canada and then later purchased by me. I changed the rear end to a 3.31 for better cruising (R1 with A/C).

Comment

I believe 3.73 was standard but 3.31 to 4.09 could be ordered. My 1st Avanti was originally shipped to Hawaii and had a 4.09 open end rear axle. It eventually came to Canada and then later purchased by me. I changed the rear end to a 3.31 for better cruising (R1 with A/C).

Comment

I was under the impression for Avanti's (automatics anyway), 3.31 was standard. I've also heard all cars were changed to a 3.73 as standard after a certain point. I do know my '70 Avanti has a 3.31 rear.

Gee...isn't figuring out what was standard and not with Studebakers fun?

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

3.54 was another ratio available.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Mine is an automatic that came with 3:31. According to theavanti.com website's technical data (haven't checked Bob Johnstone's site) 3:31 was standard for automatics and 3:73 was standard for 4-speeds.

Comment

It seems like 3.31 was std in 63 for the R1 and 3.73 for the R2, also in 1963. Then in 64 all had 3.54 as standard.
                I think gears offered were 2.87 through 4.89 or 5.13 (?). I know there were some production 4.55 axles built.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tluz

Mine is an automatic that came with 3:31. According to theavanti.com website's technical data (haven't checked Bob Johnstone's site) 3:31 was standard for automatics and 3:73 was standard for 4-speeds.
                  Usually it had more to do with whether an R1 or an R2 Engine was ordered, they wanted the R2's to PERFORM! and they usually have 3.73's.

At 35.9 cents for Super Premium, Chevron Custom Supreme 100 plus octane (White Pump), that was not a concern! []

StudeRich
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To add to the confusion, my OEM [u]Studebaker Avanti Workshop Manual</u> says in General Specifications, page 7:

Not Supercharged
                    3-speed - 3.31
                    4-speed - 3.73
                    Auto - 3.34 (sic)

Supercharged
                    4-speed - 3.73
                    Auto - 3.73

Optional ratios: 3.07, 3.31, 3.73, 4.09, 4.55

Note that 3.54 is not listed as available.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

Note that 3.54 is not listed as available.
                      Jack, when it comes to Parts Issues, I have found the Parts Catalogs and even the Sales brochures, to be way more accurate than the Shop Manual.
                      Notice I did NOT say they are PERFECT, however!

I am sure you remember when we all bought those traction bar equipped Twin Traction complete 44 axle assy's in 3.54, 4.09 etc. at Newman & Altman at giveaway prices, about $125.00 in the 1970's! [^]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

FWIW, the green pages Jet Thrust Engine Equipment Parts Manual does list the 3.54 ratio as available for Model 64V only.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Be aware that a 3.73 and up swap will require a different carrier, if yours is lower.. (and vice versa)
                          Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I believe the 3.92 and up NUMERICALLY takes a different carrier than the 3.73 and down NUMBERICALLY.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Be aware that a 3.73 and up swap will require a different carrier, if yours is lower.. (and vice versa)
                            Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Comment

My notes said 3.73, but I write funny...
                              If I erred I apologize.
                              Just don't want people to shop and need extra stuff...
                              Jeff[8D]

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Chicken Hawk

I believe the 3.92 and up NUMERICALLY takes a different carrier than the 3.73 and down NUMBERICALLY.
                              Ted

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Jeff[8D]
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X