School me on Stude rear ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Stude rear ends

Last Friday we final got the time at the shop to put the new rear brakes on my 63 lark wagon. While up in the air I figure I would run the car through the gears to make sure the trans was working right. well that was ok but seems that the passager side axle is bent. need to find a axle now. What I want to know is

1 are both axles the same size or is one shorter then the other?

2 are the 6 cyl axles different the the V8?

3 how many years did Studebaker run the rearends that were in the 63 models.Up here there is little in the way of Studebakers around and so far all I can find is a rearend from a 51 Stude pickup.I`m wondering if these axle might fit.

fitzee

The 27 axle was used '59-'65, the 44 axle was used '53-'65

Yes the Sixes and '59-'64 259 V-8's have the lightweight Dana-Spicer model 23 or 27 axle assemblies with smaller axles.

The 289's, Hawks and Wagons have the Model 44 with larger axles, but all are tapered until the middle of the 1965 model year and on when they went to flanged axles, in both 27 & 44.

Good news: Stude. axles all interchange left to right.

Bad news: No, a Truck axle will not work, different length and larger wheel bearing.

StudeRich
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not sure where you are in Canada, but I have a few spare tapered axles, here in Alberta.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

His profile shows him to be in NewFoundland Gordon.
        quote:Originally posted by gordr

Not sure where you are in Canada, but I have a few spare tapered axles, here in Alberta.

Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I will add that some say those tapered axles will fail and break off, even in a car that's driven gently. They recommend converting to the flanged axles, readily available, for safety reasons. I have never seen this happen personally. When I build my R2-powered car, it will have the flanged axles from Fairborn Studebaker in it.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

studerich, missing in the list you gave for the types of dana's used(23,27,44) was what was used in 1966. i wondered if they used something else?
            There is a really nice '66 listed on craigslist in Albany NY. I have a buddy that is asking about it.
            please enlighten me.Rich

64 GT R1 4sp Hawk(pkg)
            Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC
            64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
            Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

There is no real reason to change to a flanged axle, the tapered ones have worked for years , I know there has been some that have failed but the % is small, In all my years and all the Studebakers I have had I only had one break, also Ted raced them for years and when he and I talked one time about it he was not against them but did figure the flanged were better so he started having them built, here again to each his own. they do cost a few bucks to change over and how many CASO's want to spend the bucks? not me.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Since I am no longer involved in the sales of the flanged axles, I feel free to comment. Bob is right in that the percent that have failed is small; however, it only takes that one time and you have ruined a quarter panel or WORSE and the price of the flanged axles is a bargain.

The older the tapered axles get the more likely there is of breakage. Think of all the times the car is accelerated, brakes applied, backing up, etc. and metal fatigue. Just like a wire that is bent several times, it will eventually break.

I'm not trying to scare anyone but just because you have not had one break is no reason to think one won't. I never broke one on the '51 running stock class even with seven inch slicks but I kept close watch and when one started to wobble, I would change it right away. I probably replaced a dozen or so over the years.

I did break one on the PBW and was really lucky that it broke SETTING ON THE TRUCK ON THE WAY HOME! It had just run 110 mph at the strip! I don't recall how many we changed on the PBW and Tomato before we got the flanged made but there were a few.

Two things I would suggest when running the tapered axles is to keep the axle nut torqued to specs and keep an eye on them and if one starts to wobble, get it changed.

Ted

quote:Originally posted by candbstudebakers

There is no real reason to change to a flanged axle, the tapered ones have worked for years , I know there has been some that have failed but the % is small, In all my years and all the Studebakers I have had I only had one break, also Ted raced them for years and when he and I talked one time about it he was not against them but did figure the flanged were better so he started having them built, here again to each his own. they do cost a few bucks to change over and how many CASO's want to spend the bucks? not me.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Comment

Since our Studes have been through so many hands, it's difficult to know how hard they've been driven. I usually buy the Hawks with 289" and 352" V8s, so I always assume they've been run hard. I personally know of three Golden Hawks which have broken axles.

However, back in the day, the father of one of my friends was selling his 259" FOM sedan because he couldn't keep axles in it. "Just a cheap junk design." I kept my mouth shut, because I knew his teen-age son hated that 4-door old man's car and every time he drove it, he'd rev it in neutral and yank it into low to make it burn the right rear tire.

Bottom line, as Ted said, if yours is wobbling, it may not be bent, but fatigued and on the way to breaking off.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by am not r2

studerich, missing in the list you gave for the types of dana's used(23,27,44) was what was used in 1966. i wondered if they used something else?
                    Quote, the same post #2: "but all are tapered until the middle of the 1965 model year and on when they went to flanged axles, in both 27 & 44."

So what this means is the Diff. is the same Dana/Spicer except the spider gears or TT Hubs have finer splines and so does the Pinion shaft, so a different Diff. Yoke is needed and of course the finer splined Flanged axles to fit the Diff.

The Axle Housing for flanged, is different also. So the Fairborn Axles do not fit a [u]flanged</u> Studebaker Axle Assy.

Fitzee; be sure to check that Wagonaire with a wobbling wheel with the Wheel/Tire removed or a different Wheel, it may NOT be the axle!

StudeRich
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had one break on a 64 Avanti and it isn't a good feeling.....ie., no brake pedal, no emergency brake and not able to slow down by down shifting.....just at the mercy of friction between the concrete and backing plate to slow you down.

Does Fairborn sell flanged axles for the 23 and 27? These have fewer splines than the 44.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by nels

Does Fairborn sell flanged axles for the 23 and 27? These have fewer splines than the 44.
                        The smaller diameter axle shafts would not be a good thing, so there would be no market for stronger ends and weaker shafts!
                        They [u]might</u> be OK, if you are re-powering with a 2.0 Liter 4 Cyl. import engine.

I am pretty sure Phil can only afford the setup fees for one type only: a replacement for tapered 44's.

StudeRich
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk
                            Two things I would suggest when running the tapered axles is to keep the axle nut torqued to specs and keep an eye on them and if one starts to wobble, get it changed.

I hope the NOS axles I purchased from you in Cedar Rapids will last for quite some time, Ted. I don't plan on taking it to the track, just the highway. They're going in my TT 44. If it ends up wobbling, I pop the $500 for the flanged next time.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

The 27 axle was used '59-'65, the 44 axle was used '53-'65

Yes the Sixes and '59-'64 259 V-8's have the lightweight Dana-Spicer model 23 or 27 axle assemblies with smaller axles.

The 289's, Hawks and Wagons have the Model 44 with larger axles, but all are tapered until the middle of the 1965 model year and on when they went to flanged axles, in both 27 & 44.
                              Great info, thanks. how can I tell if it is a Dana-Spicer 23 or 27 or if it is a 27 or a 44 without pulling it apart? The rearend was replaced in this car cause when ordering brake shoes I found out that it had 10" shoes on the back and the 6 cyl cars came stock with a 9" shoes on the back. other then this telling me it was from a V8 car I don`t know how to ID it.

gordr, when I find out what I have I might be in the market for a axle if I can`t find it here.

Comment

Working...
                              X