Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-96

Hi
    Dose anyone know if a 1960 T-96 transmission with over drive, will fit in a 1962 Lark 4 door sedan with a 259 V8 that has a standard 3 speed and if so are they strong enough.

Thanks for your help, Gene

Gene Shambaugh
    Gene Shambaugh

A T-96 is nowhere near strong enough to handle the torque and power of a V8. Don't think it would bolt up either.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Nope, wrong Input Shaft, wrong Bolt pattern, not to mention way too weak as Mark said.

A late '62-'64 Stude. T-10 4 speed, or a T-86 3 Speed with or without Overdrive are your only choices.

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Years ago we had a new 77 Dodge Aspen wagon, 6 cylinder that had a 4-speed transmission that Chrysler Corp had actually converted to a
        4 speed with overdrive in 4th gear. Was this of the T-10 family of transmissions. It was my understandinf from talking to the dealership st the time that Chrysler just took some 4-speed transmissions that had previously been used in muscle cars and changed the 4th gear to an overdriven type, so these transmissions
        should have been very beefy. Are these transmissions some sort of viable conversion for Studebakers?

Comment

No that was a variation of the Chrysler/Dodge 4spd. I had one in a '77 Dodge D100 pickup with a 225 cid six.

3E38
          4E2
          4E28
          5E13
          7E7
          8E7
          8E12
          8E28

59 Lark
          etc

Comment

I think that was based on the A-833? In any case, yes, it should be plenty strong.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

ford did the same thing to the top loader. but they went to a alum. case and tailshaft.just was not the same after that. i converted a lot of trucks from the alum. trans to a ford top loader 3-speed.a better trans. i did rebuild a alum. toploader but i had the countershaft holes drilled out and a bushing installed in bothnends.i'ts still being used.so any time i rebuild a alum case i always bush the countershaft holes.

2006,f-150,2x4,v-6,5-speed manual,8ft bed, will post stude info when i get it on the road.

Comment

Thanks Guys for all your help. That's what I needed to know. If anyone knows where I can find a three or four speed with over drive, I would appreciate you dropping me a line.

Thanks, Gene

Gene Shambaugh
                Gene Shambaugh

Comment

I believe Fairborn Studebaker has an adapter for putting a T-5 behind a Studebaker V-8.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Hi, I don't know much about a T-5. Is that a 5 speed with the high gear being over drive. If it is that would really be nice! Do you know where I can get one?

Thanks, Gene

Gene Shambaugh
                    Gene Shambaugh

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Drifter22

Do you know where I can get one?
                      A Mustang 5.0 or '84-'86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe/Cougar XR7 or Camaro/Firebird specialty wrecking yard, would be a good place to start, they all used them.

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X