55 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 pickup

Does anyone have a photo of the 55 E series pickup interior with an in-dash factory radio and below dash speaker? My truck has this configuration, but the speaker cover is missing. If I can't find one, a photo would give me a starting place toward fabricating one....thanks

Doesn't the speaker go above the radio? At least in mine, I have a knock-out solid panel that can be replace with a louvered one for the speaker.
    sigpic

Comment

I have one that is not installed, but I will try to get a picture of it up this evening.

John and Tracy Smith
      Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

The speaker for the truck goes under the dash...hump center,,,as I think was discussed in another thread, I believe that the cut-out area probably was a designer intended idea for the speaker that never got into production. Instead, the stock speaker is a rather ugly grille and speaker assembly that is located under the dash at an angle that allows for a little leg room for any passenger unlucky enough to have to sit in the middle. Somewhere I have one of those installation kits with pictures but I am too lazy to go out in the hot attic of my shop to look for it. I also have a 1955 truck accessories booklet that shows it. Rather than install one in my truck, I have opted for a period correct motorola aftermarket radio made for my truck. It is mounted below the dash with a built in speaker and works fine for me. I really suspect that dlhiggins1's truck probably has the correct radio in it and would like to see a picture. He e mailed me a picture of his truck and it looks terrific!...now if he will just take a snapshot of the interior

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, do you have a picture of the one in your truck? We would like to see it , if you do.

John and Tracy Smith
          Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

This is the aftermarket Motorola in my Truck. It has '55 radio knobs on it but I doubt that they came on it. They were on it when I bought it at a swap meet. It is rather plain but it works. Sorry about the focus, but all the light was supplied by the flash and it is hard to focus in the dark.
            [img][/img]
            The factory radio requires the ash tray to be move over near the glove compartment.

John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The following R series C cab has a factory radio with the speaker in the correct location. This truck could be a fun "Knock Around" truck barring any serious mechanical problems. Great patina...but looks very very used!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

We found this in the box that came with our truck, so we have never actually seen it installed. It sounds like the other posters have given you a good idea as to placement, but here's a picture of the speaker front and back.

jclary, thanks for posting your picture. John's kind of jealous that he doesn't have a working radio!

John and Tracy Smith
                Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

Hey Tracy, I have a tube tester and I also know of a place in Riverside, CA that just might have the tubes (LOL)!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Hi John and everyone else kind enough to reply....haven't posted a reply until now as I just switched computers from a PC to a MAC.....now that this has been at least somewhat accomplished, I will take a photo of the interior , specifically the radio and speaker, and figure out how to get same posted. If anyone has gone the route of installing an aftermarket radio, but has the factory speaker cover laying around, let me know, I would be a willing buyer. As an aside, I was told by one of our vendors, that the speaker was mounted below the dash as an in dash mount would have subjected the speaker to excessive heat from the engine. John, if you have a close up photo of your "correct" hub caps, please send it to me. My new e-mail address is david.shadowranch@gmail.com. Thanks once again, David

Comment

Hi....attached two photos, one exterior and the other, the radio/speaker installation. The two photos are taken at the lowest resolution the canon camera allows. If they are not correct for posting on the forum, please let me know how one further compresses the photos. This is my first attempt at posting photos.

It appears the speaker had another cover component installed at some point. Would like to know what it looked like so I can either find one or fabricate one. Also, is the heater a factory installation? Your thoughts on these matters would be appreciated. Aside from this part of the "project", I found a shop manual and purchased wire harnesse(s) from Studebaker West. Just received them today, but they look good. If anyone has installed a harness like these and has any "pain saving tips", they would be appreciated. Again, thanks for your input.

Comment

Whoops, the photos are a bit large. How can they be downsized?...thanks

Comment

Your truck looks great. The radio is correct. The speaker looks to be one taken from a car and installed correctly for the truck. The ugly black crap around the speaker grille appears to be the remains of the sealing gasket that would have served as an "anti-rattle" gasket where the speaker assembly would have been behind the dash of the car it came from. Some of the speaker grille may have been cut off, but it is what would have been placed in your truck and in the correct position. Most that I have seen (and that is not many in a truck) are painted flat black to blend into the darkness under the dash area. In the center of the dash (above the lazy "S") appears to be a lighter where the optional "Map Light" should be. Your heater is an aftermarket. For the most part...your truck looks to have been well cared for and should be welcomed and appreciated at any Studebaker gathering.

John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Morning John and others...thanks for the input. First on the heater, what did the factory original look like and do you think there are any around. Think this truck came without a heater? I have not tried to use the heater, but will do so as soon as I put in the new wiring harness. As far as the speaker goes, the black paint is a good idea...actually the speaker is a unit that incorporates more than just the speaker....looks to be also an amplifier for the speaker or possibly a complete radio. Note the two small angle brackets on each side of the front ??? The photo supplied by John Smith above, is similar but without the two small angle brackets. It was the angle brackets that led me to think that there was another "cover". The lighter for this truck is located above the ignition key and appears to be a factory install. Think there are any "hoods" for the map light around? There is also a small light next to the start button???? John, does your truck have a dash or floor mounted start button? Lastly, any source for parts to fix the switch assembly on the old spotlight? I have more photos of the dash, but don't know that I want to clutter up the forum. I anyone wants to view same, send me an email and I will forward same to you.

Thanks, David

Comment

Your starter button (I think that is what it is) is located where the factory heater would have been. With the hood up and standing in front of the truck...the factory heater would be located just to the left of your instruments on the shelf. The factory heater is a "fresh-air" unit with incoming air taken from the vent tube built into the inner fender apron. On this and later model trucks, the blower unit is mounted on the inner fender apron. If yours came without a heater, the "cutout" for the blower is probably still in place. The air flows through a short piece of flex duct into the heater intake and into the cab through a door in the bottom of the heater. there is also a neat defroster duct in the top of the heater that sends warm air to your defroster slots at the windshield.
                              Originally, your truck had the start switch under the clutch.

As far as cluttering up the forum...many of us have been doing it without near as good a purpose or excuse as you have. However, you can go to the "Pictures" forum topic and post as many as you want. If, for any reason, you get frustrated and want to abandon that old ugly truck...I'll drive across the country and haul it off for you.

John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X