PDA

View Full Version : AC REMOVAL QUESTION.

63t-cab
07-22-2009, 04:03 PM
As I get ready to remove engine from my Champ,I need to remove the AC parts under the hood.problem is I have no way to transport the truck to a shop that can capture the freon prior to dismantal,any suggestions for me so I can keepa going forward?

Joseph R. Zeiger

StudeRich
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, do you have any EPA agents in the neighborhood? [}:)]

StudeRich

41 Frank
07-22-2009, 04:56 PM
One option if it has the York compressor is to turn the valves at the compressor end of the hoses all the way in and remove the hoses from the compressor,this will capture the freon in the system,all you'll lose is the freon in the compressor which should not amount to much. Alternatively you could leave hoses hooked up and unbolt compressor and move it to the side. Be sure and wear safety glasses!!!

Lark Hunter
07-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I haven't looked close at the engine compartment of an air conditioned Champ, but most vehicles I have worked on have had enough room to unbolt the compressor and carefully set it out of the way. They are a pain to work around, but it usually can be done. LH

Warren Webb
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Before you do anything, remove the cap from one of the charging valves & depress the pin to see if there is any freon in the system. There may be no freon in it. Whatever you do, make sure all the lines and ports that are removed are capped off well to prevent any moisture from contaiminating the system.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

jclary
07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Not to be a "Smart Alec"...but from my experience someone asking how to capture the freon in an old Studebaker AC could be accused of bragging.:):):)

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
SDC member since 1975