PDA

View Full Version : WHO NEEDS Steinkamp's Ute??



bams50
07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Why bother with all that high-falutin' bodywork and paint and such- this is all you need!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/040.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/041-1.jpg

Take a 4 door, cut off the roof at the B pillar, chop off the center section, and slide the back half up. Tack it down. Done!

To make a fancy tonneau cover, build a frame from square stock, hinge it at the front, attach original trunk in stock position, add a second lid ahead of that, and cover with the roof tin you cut off. Few pop rivets, tack the rear doors shut, dab of primer, and it's off to work! Now don't you feel silly, Dick??:D

I'm having fun but the truth is, it's pretty ingenious; and I think the proportions are pretty good! I may build one, just a little more finish work. We don't need no steenking El Camino![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag3-1.gif

clonelark
07-21-2009, 10:12 AM
There will be 20 more of these things by Pheonix, some better than others.

http://i32.tinypic.com/411sz.jpg

4961Studebaker
07-21-2009, 10:45 AM
[:0][:0]

At the car corral. There was another ute at the Clarion, I got distracted [:p] by other cars and didn't make it back to photograph.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_6686.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_6687.jpg

Now Mr Quinns would be nice. [:p]
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_6638.jpg
ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

5859
07-21-2009, 10:48 AM
That is closer to a business coupe than an el camino.

bams50
07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Same one, Kev. Did you happen to get any pictures of inside the trunk or the "cab"? I wish now I had taken more for reference when I build mine:)

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag3-1.gif

Roscomacaw
07-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd like to see that done with a 2-door. ;)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

tutone63
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I saw that thing (both of them, and I prefer the Quinn version!) But I used to drive an old el camino, and I saw that thing and just couldn't believe it! I had to snap some photos. I think that if it were tried with a two door, you would have to extend the rear to get any box length of any value. But it would be worth a try. I was impressed with the simplicity of it and the overall product.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh54/tutone63/63larkside-1.jpghttp://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/images/smilies/035.gif


1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

StudeRich
07-21-2009, 01:14 PM
It looks like the roof has (actually COULD have had) the 1966 Studebaker Flow-through ventilation system! [^] :D

StudeRich

ROADRACELARK
07-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Rich,

If it didn't....it sure does now.;)

Dan Miller
Atlanta, GA.

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
Road Racers turn left AND right.

StudeMann
07-21-2009, 02:22 PM
About 30 years ago on Vancouver Island when I first began to notice Studebakers , Colin Horton (now deceased) operated a Studebaker 'Junkyard' and shop on his property along the Island Highway at Cobble Hill. He built a 'Studechero' similar to this. However, I think it had a proper box in the back like Dick's Ute. IIRC, he actually combined components from a Ranchero (or Falcon) and a 64 Stude.

Do any of the old timers from the Northwest remember this car?

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
Jim Mann
Victoria, B.C.
Canada

PlainBrownR2
07-21-2009, 04:31 PM
The Richard Quinn version is actually stock, and it's only the second Business Coupe I have seen that had the option installed. Studebaker actually offered an option to where the trunklid on the Business Coupes was removed, the back seat was taken out, and that pickup bed was slid into the rear. From what I was told it was also offered on the Hudsons as well. Nevertheless, when I saw the first one the first thought was "take that El Camino [:o)]"

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
[IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
[IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

55s
07-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Ontario Chapter had a member (H.L. Lockhart, since deceased) who used to own a Studebaker dealership, then started his own thriving exhaust and muffler business using Lark "El Caminos". I believe he had about 5 or 6 of them to keep up with the business, and eventually was able to replace them with new machines.

Many years ago, when Studebakers were cheap and plentiful (and they still are) this was the business edge that gave him a good start.

I doubt if any are left - I'm sure they led a tough but useful life at a time when nobody wanted them. (late 60s, early 70s)

Paul

candbstudebakers
07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
too each his own, I think I might be sick.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/IM000994-1-1.jpg

barnlark
07-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Not for me, either. Not sure what the point was on that red one. Like, Bob said, to each his own, though. They are giving up on it, too.

MikeValent
07-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Parked in a handicapped spot; nice piece of subtle humor, eh?

That thing reminds me of my old 88 Mustang GT convertible (also red inside and out)- it's so homely that it's actually quite attractive.

MikeV
Pompano Beach, FL
83 Avanti 377I

4961Studebaker
07-22-2009, 08:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by bams50

Same one, Kev. Did you happen to get any pictures of inside the trunk or the "cab"? I wish now I had taken more for reference when I build mine:)


Looked through my photo's, no, I didn't get any internal shots of the Red one, but I did of the Factory B.Coupe. Hello Mr. Quinn. :D[:o)]

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_6640-1.jpg

ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

Skinnys Garage
07-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Here's a couple shots of my friends '62 "Lar Kamino". I found it several years ago and knew it would fit right in his Studebaker collection. Maybe I'll go talk him back out of it. I could "touch-up" the bodywork, remove the rear door handles etc. (leave the ejection seat option of course;)) and make a cool parts hauler![:p] These things seem to be all the rage!:D
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/LarKamino1.jpg
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/LarKamino2.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/my59Lark.jpg
Skinny
Watertown, SD

jclary
07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

Here's a couple shots of my friends '62 "Lar Kamino". I found it several years ago and knew it would fit right in his Studebaker collection. Maybe I'll go talk him back out of it. I could "touch-up" the bodywork, remove the rear door handles etc. (leave the ejection seat option of course;)) and make a cool parts hauler![:p] These things seem to be all the rage!:D

Skinny
Watertown, SD


OK Folks...I know it is easy to go with the flow and call these things "Lar Kamino" as a play on words. However, we are STUDEBAKER people. I think it is time we used such terms as "Lark Express", or "Hawk Express", after all...it was the "Coupe Express" that started all this and it should be so honored! (Just a minor bit of nit picking from me.):):):)

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
SDC member since 1975

Skinnys Garage
07-22-2009, 10:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by jclary


quote:Originally posted by Skinnys Garage

Here's a couple shots of my friends '62 "Lar Kamino". I found it several years ago and knew it would fit right in his Studebaker collection. Maybe I'll go talk him back out of it. I could "touch-up" the bodywork, remove the rear door handles etc. (leave the ejection seat option of course;)) and make a cool parts hauler![:p] These things seem to be all the rage!:D

Skinny
Watertown, SD


OK Folks...I know it is easy to go with the flow and call these things "Lar Kamino" as a play on words. However, we are STUDEBAKER people. I think it is time we used such terms as "Lark Express", or "Hawk Express", after all...it was the "Coupe Express" that started all this and it should be so honored! (Just a minor bit of nit picking from me.):):):)

John Clary
Greer, SC


John, I agree with your nit pick 100%. On this forum I could have used "Lark Express" and most would have understood the meaning and got it. I was thinking more small town cruise night or car show and how much less time I would have in explaining "Lar Kamino" to the masses. The free time saved with the easy to relate play on words would give me more time to explain that it's not a 289 Ford motor and "No! AMC never made these!":D:D;)

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/mytoygarage/my59Lark.jpg
Skinny
Watertown, SD

clonelark
07-23-2009, 04:45 AM
To me, the red one looks more like a flower car for a funeral. I've seen several Cadillac flower cars of the 52-53 era

http://i32.tinypic.com/411sz.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
(nit pick opinion warning)

I wouldn't tarnish the good Studebaker use of the 'Express' name on that thing.
Sure, it's different.
But it took a decent Stude car and turned it into a useless Stude that looks 'different by mis-design'
You can't even open the trunk lid with that $12 chunk of sheet metal screwed on the back.
People with SawZalls can be dangerous.
One more Stude off the finite list.....The counter is running[V]
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by jclary
OK Folks...I know it is easy to go with the flow and call these things "Lar Kamino" as a play on words. However, we are STUDEBAKER people. I think it is time we used such terms as "Lark Express", or "Hawk Express", after all...it was the "Coupe Express" that started all this and it should be so honored! (Just a minor bit of nit picking from me.):):):)

jclary
07-23-2009, 07:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

(nit pick opinion warning)

I wouldn't tarnish the good Studebaker use of the 'Express' name on that thing.
Sure, it's different.
But it took a decent Stude car and turned it into a useless Stude that looks 'different by mis-design'
You can't even open the trunk lid with that $12 chunk of sheet metal screwed on the back.
People with SawZalls can be dangerous.
One more Stude off the finite list.....The counter is running[V]
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by jclary
OK Folks...I know it is easy to go with the flow and call these things "Lar Kamino" as a play on words. However, we are STUDEBAKER people. I think it is time we used such terms as "Lark Express", or "Hawk Express", after all...it was the "Coupe Express" that started all this and it should be so honored! (Just a minor bit of nit picking from me.):):):)



:)Morning Jeff... Point well made! I guess we should distinguish the good from the bad by reserving the well done customs as "Express" and keep the "Camino" terms for the crappy ones built with a hatchet and hammer!:D:D:D

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
SDC member since 1975

bams50
07-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Jeff... what do you mean, did they change the design since I saw it? Because the whole back cover was, as I said, hinged, and the whole area was open...

You say it's a waste, but some of us like the concept. I may build one, thereby making something different and useful out of an otherwise unwanted car. You can hate that one too if you want;)

I'm sure it's hard for you given your record of all the 4 door Larks you've made an effort to save <rolleyes>



Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag3-1.gif

DEEPNHOCK
07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
So that starts my exploratory committee for the unofficial campaign to be head judge for division 8/9????[:0]
My platform?
(Besides having a porta-potty at the end of each row on the show field)
A) Mandatory judging for the 'Display Only' class.
B) 25 point automatic deduction for AARP membership sticker*.
C) * 25 point bonus 'if it covers a paint chip'.
D) If trailered, the trailer and tow vehicle gets judged too.
E) 25 point bonus if owner is awake when judges finally show up.
F) 3 point deduction if lawn chairs are not color coordinated.
G) 350 point deduction if the word 350/350 appears anywhere on judging sheet (or windshield card)
H) 5 point bonus if the word McKinnon is used instead of SBC or Chevy.
J) Expulsion from next event mandatory if B!&$# post appears on forum within 30 days of event.
K) 10 point deduction from next event if no participation in parking lot evening festivities were recorded and photographed.

And that's just the beginning......
I am for Studebaker show CHANGE!;):D
Jeff[8D]
(Campaign contributions can be sent directly to the Jeff Rice campaign slush fund and bailout 'new'retirement plan. I endorse this exploratory campaign extortion ad - Jeff)


quote:Originally posted by jclary
:)Morning Jeff... Point well made! I guess we should distinguish the good from the bad by reserving the well done customs as "Express" and keep the "Camino" terms for the crappy ones built with a hatchet and hammer!:D:D:D



[quote]Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

(nit pick opinion warning)
I wouldn't tarnish the good Studebaker use of the 'Express' name on that thing.
Sure, it's different.
But it took a decent Stude car and turned it into a useless Stude that looks 'different by mis-design'
You can't even open the trunk lid with that $12 chunk of sheet metal screwed on the back.
People with SawZalls can be dangerous.
One more Stude off the finite list.....The counter is running[V]
Jeff[8D]

jclary
07-23-2009, 08:15 AM
So far...this is the most serious submission for the much coveted Chief Judge position in the SDC. In light of this...I nominate Jeff Rice for chief judge and request that those who are better connected to the SDC officials quickly move to accommodate Jeff's dream![8D]

John Clary
Greer, SC
http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/jconln/HPIM0372-2.jpg
Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
SDC member since 1975

DEEPNHOCK
07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I won't argue with you Bob, because you have all the facts.
I saw it up close and looked at it.
I never said 'hate'..
Didn't see it opened up, did you? Any pic's of it opened?
I know it was a project, and that it was not 'finished'.
Also put in my reply a warning that it was my opinion, to boot.
(Ha!...To Boot... A pun about a Lark trunk;)[:p])
Glad you have the tally sheet on all the Larks I have owned.
Tell me how many it was.... (I know)
I never rolled my eyes either, but I did just let out a forum reply induced sigh;)
(smilie included for redundant effect;))

Hey...BTW.. Did that Iowa Zip Van guy get in touch with you?
I sent him your e-mail address because I know you were looking for an inexpensive Zip Van. Thought you might want to eyeball it while you were out west in Iowa. I didn't see it.
Jeff[8D]



quote:Originally posted by bams50

Jeff... what do you mean, did they change the design since I saw it? Because the whole back cover was, as I said, hinged, and the whole area was open...
You say it's a waste, but some of us like the concept. I may build one, thereby making something different and useful out of an otherwise unwanted car. You can hate that one too if you want;)
I'm sure it's hard for you given your record of all the 4 door Larks you've made an effort to save <rolleyes>

bams50
07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Yes I did see it open, which is how I knew it was hinged and had a second trunk lid, as stated in my first post. No I didn't take any, which is why I asked Kevin if he took any with it open in another post.

My tally sheet shows zero, since you never have mentioned any. Plenty of folks say they should be saved, but only a few of us do. How many have you saved??

And no, didn't hear anything on the Zip Van; and didn't call since I had already committed to saving another- what?- 4 door Lark;)

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag3-1.gif

DEEPNHOCK
07-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Then I have erred.
I retract my previous statement and apologize.

You have your facts wrong on your tally sheet about Larks I have owned.
Lot's of stuff I have never mentioned on the forum...
My tally sheet is in the laundry;)
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by bams50

Yes I did see it open, which is how I knew it was hinged and had a second trunk lid, as stated in my first post. No I didn't take any, which is why I asked Kevin if he took any with it open in another post.

My tally sheet shows zero, since you never have mentioned any. Plenty of folks say they should be saved, but only a few of us do. How many have you saved??

And no, didn't hear anything on the Zip Van; and didn't call since I had already committed to saving another- what?- 4 door Lark;)


http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/1937CEBearfootingArtwithLabelgif-1.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/SDClogo4forum.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/StudebakerTruckFarmerStickerA-1.jpghttp://www.racingstudebakers.com/avatar_01.jpghttp://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/GatorDadBigjpg-1-1.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

klifton1
07-23-2009, 09:12 AM
The car was not built by the owner. It looked to me like the builder started with a pretty fair car. Should it have been saved? I know Jim was enjoying it as is.
Klif

55 Speedster
63 Avanti R2
63 Lark R2

bams50
07-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Klif, I bet he was enjoying it- and should be. Bonus is it hacks off the occasional critc;) should it have been saved? Looks to me like it was![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag3-1.gif

4961Studebaker
07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

So that starts my exploratory committee for the unofficial campaign to be head judge for division 8/9????[:0]
My platform?
(Besides having a porta-potty at the end of each row on the show field)
A) Mandatory judging for the 'Display Only' class.
B) 25 point automatic deduction for AARP membership sticker*.
C) * 25 point bonus 'if it covers a paint chip'.
D) If trailered, the trailer and tow vehicle gets judged too.
E) 25 point bonus if owner is awake when judges finally show up.
F) 3 point deduction if lawn chairs are not color coordinated.
G) 350 point deduction if the word 350/350 appears anywhere on judging sheet (or windshield card)
H) 5 point bonus if the word McKinnon is used instead of SBC or Chevy.
J) Expulsion from next event mandatory if B!&$# post appears on forum within 30 days of event.
K) 10 point deduction from next event if no participation in parking lot evening festivities were recorded and photographed.

And that's just the beginning......
I am for Studebaker show CHANGE!;):D
Jeff[8D]
(Campaign contributions can be sent directly to the Jeff Rice campaign slush fund and bailout 'new'retirement plan. I endorse this exploratory campaign extortion ad - Jeff)



I second the nomination.

Lets see.
A. I could agree with this one...All inclusive judging/participation is a good thing.
B. I don't qualify for the AARP deduction (every point helps right?)
C. ok
D. Tow vehicle/trailer get judged....I hope they like Uhaul orange if a trailer is needed. I will spray paint yellow if that helps. :D
E. Be alert and awake.....Lets see,...Sure I can bring a cooler full of Vault or Mt Dew.
F. Rats I'm going to need to buy some new Chairs.
G. WHOO HOO, No 350 pt deduction for me! Unless head judge (Deepnhock) gets too TECHNICAL. Dispute/grievance form printed, and on ready.
H. Might loose on this one, HOWEVER, I could write on sheet I'd like to have a McKinnon [:p]
J. Mandatory 30 day wait on griping.....[xx(]this one could be TUFF
K. After party, Tell me the Time and Place [8D],

The views expressed by this poster are not necessarily the views of this poster, therefore the views of this poster shouldn't be held against the poster, unless everyone agrees with the poster, thus the poster agrees with everything posted by the poster. Not affiliated with the Jeff Rice campaign slush fund whatsoever.[:o)]


ChopStu
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q14/kkad0711/IMG_5406-1.jpg

cool 1953
07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
A work in progress..I gess.

clayton-rip chicken hawk!

Dick Clemens
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Jeff: I have submitted your name to Mimi Halgren for Chef Judge;).
In case people havn't read Mimi's post on the judging forum you should. If only our powers to be in Washington could be so decisive.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

clonelark
07-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Ok i found a pic of the rear open in tutone63's Cedar Rapid pics, hope he dont mind me posting it. (you can chew me out by e-mail)
http://i31.tinypic.com/erzzah.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/411sz.jpg

bams50
07-25-2009, 05:12 AM
Dang, I was hoping it would show the inside from the rear. Can't believe I looked but didn't take the picture:( I haven't looked at everyone's pictures yet because of the dial-up. If I get a minute I'll look tonight when I have hi-speed at the other house.

I did get the contact info for the owner, and I'm going to ask him for pictures.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.patrioticon.org/images/flag3-1.gif

DEEPNHOCK
07-25-2009, 06:15 AM
MMMMmmmmmm
Chef judge.....
Wonder what meat will be substituted in division nine??[:0]
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by Dick Clemens

Jeff: I have submitted your name to Mimi Halgren for Chef Judge;).
In case people havn't read Mimi's post on the judging forum you should. If only our powers to be in Washington could be so decisive.

4961Studebaker
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

MMMMmmmmmm
Chef judge.....
Wonder what meat will be substituted in division nine??[:0]
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by Dick Clemens

Jeff: I have submitted your name to Mimi Halgren for Chef Judge;).
In case people havn't read Mimi's post on the judging forum you should. If only our powers to be in Washington could be so decisive.



Only the best Chef Jeff. Kobe [:o)]

Edited for my spelling [:0] of Kobe from Kobi :(:D

Dick Clemens
07-25-2009, 10:57 AM
How about some southern BBQ with sweet tea? Chef Deepnhock,[8D] like the sound. When its hot on the show field you could fry eggs for us.:D

studedick from the lower Ozarks

DEEPNHOCK
07-25-2009, 11:52 AM
You mean the local cats are safe, don't you?;)
Jeff[8D]


quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker
Only the best Chef Jeff. Kobe [:o)]
Edited for my spelling [:0] of Kobe from Kobi :(:D