WHO NEEDS Steinkamp's Ute??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHO NEEDS Steinkamp's Ute??

Why bother with all that high-falutin' bodywork and paint and such- this is all you need!

Take a 4 door, cut off the roof at the B pillar, chop off the center section, and slide the back half up. Tack it down. Done!

To make a fancy tonneau cover, build a frame from square stock, hinge it at the front, attach original trunk in stock position, add a second lid ahead of that, and cover with the roof tin you cut off. Few pop rivets, tack the rear doors shut, dab of primer, and it's off to work! Now don't you feel silly, Dick??

I'm having fun but the truth is, it's pretty ingenious; and I think the proportions are pretty good! I may build one, just a little more finish work. We don't need no steenking El Camino![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
    Parish, central NY 13131

There will be 20 more of these things by Pheonix, some better than others.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

[:0][:0]

At the car corral. There was another ute at the Clarion, I got distracted [] by other cars and didn't make it back to photograph.

Now Mr Quinns would be nice. []

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

That is closer to a business coupe than an el camino.

Comment

Same one, Kev. Did you happen to get any pictures of inside the trunk or the "cab"? I wish now I had taken more for reference when I build mine

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'd like to see that done with a 2-door.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I saw that thing (both of them, and I prefer the Quinn version!) But I used to drive an old el camino, and I saw that thing and just couldn't believe it! I had to snap some photos. I think that if it were tried with a two door, you would have to extend the rear to get any box length of any value. But it would be worth a try. I was impressed with the simplicity of it and the overall product.

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

It looks like the roof has (actually COULD have had) the 1966 Studebaker Flow-through ventilation system! [^]

StudeRich
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,

If it didn't....it sure does now.

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA.

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                  Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

About 30 years ago on Vancouver Island when I first began to notice Studebakers , Colin Horton (now deceased) operated a Studebaker 'Junkyard' and shop on his property along the Island Highway at Cobble Hill. He built a 'Studechero' similar to this. However, I think it had a proper box in the back like Dick's Ute. IIRC, he actually combined components from a Ranchero (or Falcon) and a 64 Stude.

Do any of the old timers from the Northwest remember this car?

Jim

"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada
                    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
                    Jim Mann
                    Victoria, B.C.
                    Canada

Comment

The Richard Quinn version is actually stock, and it's only the second Business Coupe I have seen that had the option installed. Studebaker actually offered an option to where the trunklid on the Business Coupes was removed, the back seat was taken out, and that pickup bed was slid into the rear. From what I was told it was also offered on the Hudsons as well. Nevertheless, when I saw the first one the first thought was "take that El Camino [)]"

[IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010531-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/55%20Studebaker%20Commander%20Streetrod%20Project/P1010550-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=right]
                      [IMG=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201964%20Studebaker%20Commander%20R2/P1010168.jpg[/IMG=right]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Ontario Chapter had a member (H.L. Lockhart, since deceased) who used to own a Studebaker dealership, then started his own thriving exhaust and muffler business using Lark "El Caminos". I believe he had about 5 or 6 of them to keep up with the business, and eventually was able to replace them with new machines.

Many years ago, when Studebakers were cheap and plentiful (and they still are) this was the business edge that gave him a good start.

I doubt if any are left - I'm sure they led a tough but useful life at a time when nobody wanted them. (late 60s, early 70s)

Paul

Comment

too each his own, I think I might be sick.

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Not for me, either. Not sure what the point was on that red one. Like, Bob said, to each his own, though. They are giving up on it, too.

Comment

Parked in a handicapped spot; nice piece of subtle humor, eh?

That thing reminds me of my old 88 Mustang GT convertible (also red inside and out)- it's so homely that it's actually quite attractive.

MikeV
                              Pompano Beach, FL
                              83 Avanti 377I

Comment

Working...
                              X