PDA

View Full Version : Herb Shriners 64 Avanti

idahobob
07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Just joined the club I have a 63/64 Avanti R4935 that belonged to the late TV host Herb Shriner. Supposedly he and his wife were killed in Fla. in this car. On the inside engine compartment on the wheel well is a tag that has the code RQ3564 does anyone know what this means. The car has round headlights and the exterior color was what the code on the bill of sale said it was (Avanti Red)and has been painted white. the interior is the red that the code also calls for. i have a letter that states the car was sold to Herb in 1963. This car is in great shape and the only thing changed on it was, the supercharger was taken off to accomodate the AC.
I also could use an ignition switch with keys sinc I have missplaced (lost) the keys.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

Idahobob

doug
07-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Possibaly the number is off a donor car if parts were replaced after an accident.

Look on the S.D.C. home page for links to vendors that have ignition switches or contact an old time locksmith th make another key.

Retired
07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Get a production order from the Studebaker National Museum. Studebaker International should have the ignition switch w/keys.
Turning Wheels, monthly magazine of the SDC wil have all the information you need to order the aformwentioned.

Richard

Retired
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
The RQ number is the body tag number the other is the serial number which can be found on a plate welded to the frame rail below the dip stick.

Richard

fstst56
07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
I got my production order from Nostalgic Motor Cars
in Wixom, Michigan. Got it the same week I ordered
it. Might take quite a bit longer from the Museum.

JDP
07-20-2009, 07:42 PM
It sound like the car was rebody'ed with a donor car body, of maybe even just had the serial tag moved to another car. As I recall, the car hit a tree very hard, killed both Herb and hos wife.

JDP/Maryland

fstst56
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Mr Shriner and his wife were killed instantly April 23,
1970 returning from an appearance in West Palm Beach when
their Studebaker Avanti crashed into a palm tree.
Brake failure was given as the cause.

Mr Shriner owned about 2 dozen vintage automobiles at the time.

studegary
07-20-2009, 09:47 PM
R4935 is a 1964 Avanti that was built in August 1963 and should have square headlight bezels.
The 3564 body number does not seem like it would be correct for that 4935 serial number.
Did you check that 4935 is on the frame plate? If it is, you can get a build sheet for your Avanti from the SNM. This will not only give you the original body number, engine number, etc., but will give you the key numbers. If you have the original locks and ignition, a good locksmith can make replacement keys from the key code numbers.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

JBOYLE
07-21-2009, 10:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by fstst56

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
Not a widespread problem I hope!

Seriously, I've never heard of a brake failure in an Avanti...any
one know more?

BTW: The best known car he had was the Phantom Corsair custom...

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Gunslinger
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Back in the 1980's the '63 R1 Avanti I owned suffered brake failure. I was lucky...it was very low speed and no traffic...I was able to let it drift into a parking space and stop against the curb with no damage. The problem was the master cylinder...rebuilt it and problem solved.

I sold the car several years later and was in contact with a subsequent owner to fill in some of the car's history for him. He told me had the car painted and when he brought it home, guess what? The brakes failed and he went into a tool bench in his garage and caused $1800 damage to the car! I don't know what the problem was that time but it looks like the car is keeping up its traditions.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Skip Lackie
07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
My recollection is that Herb Shriner did a lot of his own car work and had worked on the brakes himself that day. "Brake failure" can mean a lot of different things, including failing to tighten the brake hoses sufficiently. Not trying to libel Mr Shriner, but that is how I remember the story.

Ernie Kovacs was another TV personality that also died in a car crash, though he was driving a Corvair. Kovacs was an inveterate cigar smoker, and it was supposed that he was trying to light a cigar when he missed a turn.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Lark Hunter
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I know I am veering off topic here, but I have heard this way too many times when a loss of brakes is concerned. "The pedal went to the floor, so I coasted for a quarter mile until I found a parked car to crash into." "I put it in neutral and rolled down from 60 MPH... I finally veered into a parking lot and slammed into a curb to stop." That is very scary to me. I cannot be the only one to have thought quickly enough to stab the parking brake pedal, gear down, do SOMETHING to slow the car down as quickly as possible. My closest call was my own fault... After driving a car (not an Avanti, though) with diminishing stoppers for about a year, the combined effects of a weak master cylinder, shoes way out of adjustment, and a leaky wheel cylinder, all conspired to leave me wildly pumping a limp brake pedal at 50 MPH with a fast approaching red light. The car ahead of me slammed on the brakes and stopped, so I had nowhere to go. I quickly shifted from 4th to 3rd to 2nd gear as I pulled the parking brake lever while holding the release button so I could modulate the rear brakes to keep them from locking up. This all happened very quickly, and I eeked to a stop with about 10 feet to spare before I really knew what was happening. I even limped the car 6 miles home using the same methods. No offense meant to anyone here, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.:D LH

07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lark Hunter

I know I am veering off topic here, but I have heard this way too many times when a loss of brakes is concerned. "The pedal went to the floor, so I coasted for a quarter mile until I found a parked car to crash into." "I put it in neutral and rolled down from 60 MPH... I finally veered into a parking lot and slammed into a curb to stop." That is very scary to me. I cannot be the only one to have thought quickly enough to stab the parking brake pedal, gear down, do SOMETHING to slow the car down as quickly as possible. My closest call was my own fault... After driving a car (not an Avanti, though) with diminishing stoppers for about a year, the combined effects of a weak master cylinder, shoes way out of adjustment, and a leaky wheel cylinder, all conspired to leave me wildly pumping a limp brake pedal at 50 MPH with a fast approaching red light. The car ahead of me slammed on the brakes and stopped, so I had nowhere to go. I quickly shifted from 4th to 3rd to 2nd gear as I pulled the parking brake lever while holding the release button so I could modulate the rear brakes to keep them from locking up. This all happened very quickly, and I eeked to a stop with about 10 feet to spare before I really knew what was happening. I even limped the car 6 miles home using the same methods. No offense meant to anyone here, and I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.:D LH

This could have been my story too except that mine is a little wilder.
In mid-'61 I was driving my Lark Cruiser to Providence (RI) from the Quonset Point area. I had five sailors in the car with me. I was crusing about 50 mph in the right lane of a very busy four-lane undivided highway. Suddenly the truck ahead of me cleared a large chunk of sheet metal. I couldn't clear it and I had no choice but to hit it (cars beside me in the left lane). The chunk bounced up, hit the left rear wheel cylinder squarely, pushing it in to the drum. Of course my brakes were then gone. I was going down a hill and there was a red light at the intersection at the bottom of the hill. I yanked on the parking brake, but it was also taken out by the collision. So, I dropped the Flight-O-Matic in to Low. That slowed me in Second until it dropped into First. I slowed more but was still rolling toward the stopped cars. I swerved on to the shoulder and dropped the tranny into Reverse- loud noise and lurch, but it stopped, engine still running (and the tranny still working). The sailors bailed out on me and hitched from there. I guess I called my wife collect from a pay phone (long before cell phones)and she called the dealer that serviced the car. They picked me up and took the car to their shop. I think they had to replace the brake line, the wheel cylinder, the backing plate and the drum, probably a $200 bill including the tow. With their help I was finally able to convince the insurance company that it was collision damage and they did pay the bill (less my deductible). I drove the car for three more years putting over 65,000 miles on it and the tranny never gave any problems.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%20broken%20circle.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20002.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20004.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20006.jpg

07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

My recollection is that Herb Shriner did a lot of his own car work and had worked on the brakes himself that day. "Brake failure" can mean a lot of different things, including failing to tighten the brake hoses sufficiently. Not trying to libel Mr Shriner, but that is how I remember the story....

That's the story I remember too. Maybe they weren't wearing seat belts or maybe he was going really fast. I remember seeing an Avanti in a wrecking year in California that had been in a head-on collision with a pickup truck. The driveline was pushed so hard that the rear wheels were cocked in from the differential being pushed back. Neither occupant of the Avanti received severe injuries, but the truck driver was killed.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%20broken%20circle.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20002.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20004.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/Copy%20of%201-1-08%20006.jpg

sweetolbob
07-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Paul Johnson

quote:Neither occupant of the Avanti received severe injuries, but the truck driver was killed.

Apparently shattering fiberglass provides great energy adsorbtion :D

Bob

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/P1000416.jpg?t=1227109182

Huck
07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Years ago at a Detroit Autorama I saw an early Corvette that had been in a major crash. The body was cracked all over but the two occupants escaped injury.

Gary Hildebrandt

JBOYLE
07-21-2009, 05:22 PM
When I bought my Avanti I took it to work one day, a coworker said a friends mom had an Avanti and was T-boned...the car was totaled, she walked away.

And here recently someone posted a shot of a crunched Avanti. It looked bad but there wasn't any mention of anything bad...injury wise.

At the risk of being mordid (who me?...as a kid, plane crash causes were okay for dinner table conversations [:0] ) I haven't heard of any other fatal Avanti wrecks.
Have any of you? (I've always thought tge Avanti was a fairly safe car...for the time...no need for gory many details...:D)?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

MikeValent
07-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I remember that crash,or at least remember the reports about it. And remember thinking at the time that I knew exactly what had happened with his brakes. I believe his car swerved off the road and straight into a tree. I was a University if Miami (back when it really was "Suntan U") student, and I think he lived in Vero Beach then.

A very short time before his crash, I had been driving my 64 Avanti on Ponce, a low-speed two lane road that ran by University of Miami's baseball field (no baseball stadium in 1963, just a field). I was going no more than fifteen miles an hour, rubbernecking to see if the team was out there practicing. Suddenly my Avanti swerved to the right, right front tire squealing. I hit the brakes and the car stopped just short of the curb.

The wheel was turned fully to the right and I could see the entire right front brake caliper had broken away from its mount. It was still on the disk, rotated forward as far as its flexible brake line would let it go. I've always thought that Shriner got caught by the same failure. That I was very lucky; he and his wife weren't.

At, say, fifty-five miles and hour if his right front brake broke off like mine did, it would have first swerved him off the road. Then the brake line would probably have snapped, leaving him bouncing across the road's drainage ditch, heading for the trees with no way to stop and no time or traction to turn. And even with seatbelts (no shoulder harnesses at that time) a head-on crash in an Avanti puts your head through the windshield.

MikeV
Pompano Beach, FL
83 Avanti 377I

07-22-2009, 01:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

When I bought my Avanti I took it to work one day, a coworker said a friends mom had an Avanti and was T-boned...the car was totaled, she walked away.
And here recently someone posted a shot of a crunched Avanti. It looked bad but there wasn't any mention of anything bad...injury wise.
At the risk of being mordid (who me?...as a kid, plane crash causes were okay for dinner table conversations [:0] ) I haven't heard of any other fatal Avanti wrecks.
Have any of you I've always thoughthge Avanti was a fairly safe car...for the time (no need for gory many details...:D)?

I think I have seen more examples of "happy endings" in Avanti crashes than "sad". For another, I found a wrecked '64 sitting in a salvage yard back in '69 or so. Sometime later I just happended to meet the a man at Ben Begiere's Studebaker (San Leandro, CA) who getting some custom work done on his Avanti. Turned out he was the former owner of the wrecked Avanti and the car in the shop was a replacement. He told me that he had wrecked a '64 some months earlier and it turned out to be the one in the salvage yard (in a foreign car salvage in Berkeley, CA of all places). He said he and his family (four total) were driving on a rain-slick highway when a Ford sedan coming the other way lost control, went airborne and landed on top of his Avanti. The roll bar held up and no one in his car was injured. The front of the car was flattened and the front body was smashed, but from the cowl back was intact (except for the roof to the roll bar). He also told me he had just had a new short block and a new Powershift put in it 1500 miles earlier. So, I left Ben's, went to Berkeley and bought the remains for $250. By then the front seats, the dash and the air conditioner, and the rear end were gone, but it was still a deal. That engine went in my '64 Champ pickup then later went to JDP for a '64 Daytona convertible basket case which then went to Skip Lackey, then to Nate, then back to JDP and ended up with Jim Turner where, as far as I know, lives on.

stugatsr2
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM

What is the going price? tks,JNP

studegary
07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by stugatsr2

What is the going price? tks,JNP

1960 to 1966 Studebaker production orders are item number 2734 from the SNM. You need to provide the serial number (on the frame plate on a 1963-1964 Avanti) along with $25 plus $3 S&H in the US.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

bubbastude
07-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Here is the news article about it
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=950&dat=19700424&id=ltgOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PFcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3883,6275307

1956 Commander parts car
1958 President
1960 Champ truck
1964 Daytona HT

bezhawk
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I posted a couple of weeks ago about Lew Schucarts' Avanti I was re-doing.
This car was wrecked in or about 1968 and as a result the driver died in the accident. Check it out here: http://bez-auto-alchemy.blogspot.com

Bez Auto Alchemy
573-242-3530

http://auto-alchemy.com

idahobob
07-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Members

Thanks for all the responses I am very appreciative. I will start going throug the car this weekend and go over everything you all have suggested. I will also let you know if something new developes.

Thanks again i am so glad i joined your fine organization.

Bob o. (idahobob)

fstst56
07-22-2009, 07:57 PM
JNP,

I paid $ 150.00
For that I got a copy of the production order,
a copy of the invoice and a copy of the 5 page
vehicle inspection report.
Nostalgic Motor Cars phone # is (248)349-4884.

fastfritz
07-22-2009, 10:01 PM

My recollection is that Herb Shriner did a lot of his own car work and had worked on the brakes himself that day. "Brake failure" can mean a lot of different things, including failing to tighten the brake hoses sufficiently. Not trying to libel Mr Shriner, but that is how I remember the story.

Oh my goodness...............I just read a 1973 article on the Phantom Corsair (Hemmings Special Interest Automobiles) and they list the owners of the Corsair and their history with the vehicle. They stated that exact reason for the Avanti crashing and killing Shriner and his wife!

Frank Remlinger
SDC# A004602R
http://automotivemachine.net/smleftsdcaps.jpg

Laemmle
07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
When this happened I was a college student in Florida..the Studebaker dealer (Trojan Motors) told me that Herb worked on the brakes on this car....I understand that the jumper tubes were not installed correctly....Mr. Shriner assumed they were correct....never consulted the shop manual either....

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
Not a widespread problem I hope!

Seriously, I've never heard of a brake failure in an Avanti...any
one know more?

BTW: The best known car he had was the Phantom Corsair custom...

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

HawkGT
07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
[quote]Originally posted by 53k

I think I have seen more examples of "happy endings" in Avanti crashes than "sad". For another, I found a wrecked '64 sitting in a salvage yard back in '69 or so. Sometime later I just happended to meet the a man at Ben Begiere's Studebaker (San Leandro, CA) who getting some custom work done on his Avanti. Turned out he was the former owner of the wrecked Avanti and the car in the shop was a replacement. He told me that he had wrecked a '64 some months earlier and it turned out to be the one in the salvage yard (in a foreign car salvage in Berkeley, CA of all places). He said he and his family (four total) were driving on a rain-slick highway when a Ford sedan coming the other way lost control, went airborne and landed on top of his Avanti. The roll bar held up and no one in his car was injured. The front of the car was flattened and the front body was smashed, but from the cowl back was intact (except for the roof to the roll bar). He also told me he had just had a new short block and a new Powershift put in it 1500 miles earlier. So, I left Ben's, went to Berkeley and bought the remains for $250. By then the front seats, the dash and the air conditioner, and the rear end were gone, but it was still a deal. That engine went in my '64 Champ pickup then later went to JDP for a '64 Daytona convertible basket case which then went to Skip Lackey, then to Nate, then back to JDP and ended up with Jim Turner where, as far as I know, lives on.

As a follow-up to 53K's story about the engine from Ben Begiere's, I bought a 289 that they rebuilt when the owner wrecked his Cruiser, and put the engine in a Wagonaire, drove the wagon for around 40,000 miles then sold it. The guy who bought the Wagonaire drove it another 30 or 40 thousand, then put the engine in a better body and drove that one roughly another 100,000 -- all on the Begiere engine with nothing major done to it as far as I know. Shows the Great quality work by both Studebaker and Ben Begiere's!

Gene Nagle
1963 Hawk R1

Skip Lackie
07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by 53k

Paul-
I guess you could say that that R1 engine lives on, but in suspended animation. I saw Jim Turner at Cedar Rapids, and asked him about the status of the 64 Daytona convertible. He said that it was still waiting in line to be restored. He intends to eventually rebuild the engine. This made me feel better, since I think that some of the rings were stuck (due my inattention).

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

07-23-2009, 06:06 PM
[Paul-
I guess you could say that that R1 engine lives on, but in suspended animation. I saw Jim Turner at Cedar Rapids, and asked him about the status of the 64 Daytona convertible. He said that it was still waiting in line to be restored. He intends to eventually rebuild the engine. This made me feel better, since I think that some of the rings were stuck (due my inattention).
Washington DC

Thanks for the update. Funny thing is I didn't know my post made it. When I finished and clicked on "Post..." I got a timeout error message so I assumed that I was SOL and I didn't feel like typing that much again:).
FWIW, I had installed new rings and bearings and had the valves ground only 2,000 or so miles before JDP got the engine. The engine had gotten noisy and I thought I had a bad bearing. Turned out to be a cracked flex plate[:I]. Replacement rings and all bearings were standard- no wear to measure when I had it torn down.

Skip Lackie
07-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Paul-
You might want to tell Jim that the next time you see him. I don't think JDP put many miles on the engine, and all I did was start it a couple of times. All it may need is to have the rings freed up.

Skip Lackie
Washington DC

Stude8
07-28-2009, 10:49 PM
For Idahobob;
Send me a private email at "studeracer_37@yahoo.com" I have two photos of the Herb Shriner wreck taken in 1970 at the Police impound area in Florida after the fatal crash.
I was a contributing editor to AOAI newsletter then and had a mutual friend who was acquainted with Shriner and his wife at that time. He made the photos for me but we elected not to publish them at that time. Front end damage was significant and passenger side windshield was broken from impact. Car was red exterior but interior color is hard to confirm from these images taken through a wire fence some distance away in the dark even with flash camera.
The newspaper reports quote Police theory was mechanical failure but other was Shriner simply fell asleep at the wheel and ran off the road into a palm tree.
Stude8

1928 Commander GB

Chucks Stude
07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't know how much of this is true, but here goes. The story illustrates how strong the Avanti is. In 1972, I went to New Braunfels, Texas to look at a set of seats and other parts out of an Avanti. When I got there the seats and a few other parts were still there, the engine having been bought by someone else. The proprietor told me that the parts came out of an Avanti that was totalled on I-35. The driver allegedly drove north out of San Antonio, drunk, with a group of police after him. They could not catch him. He blew a tire, went airborne, eventually landing upside down, and going backwards down the freeway. He began hitting those wooden stumps that they use to hold up barracades on the side of the road. He would have lived, but one of those wooden poles knocked the gas tank loose, and it hit him in the head. The seats did have blood splatter on them, but as to the truth of this story, I was never able to confirm. I didn't buy the seats.