Got an axle "wet mag" tested, came home with an R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an axle "wet mag" tested, came home with an R1

Updated picture locations so I can show my dad the R1 engine I found.
    Just letting you know I didnt find another one. - 7/18/2009 - Tom

So I go pick up the axle at the machine shop downtown and after I
    dropped the name "Studebaker" in regards to getting a price quote
    on getting my Avanti R1 shortblock rebuilt, he says "hey, you a
    Studebaker freak?" I said "not as much as I used to be, but I
    guess so". He says that he just went to pick up what he thought
    was a Ford 289, but it turned out to NOT be a Ford, and now he
    doesnt want it. He asked me to identify it. So we walk out to the
    yard, and sitting on some pieces of wood is a chrome valve cover R1
    (or R2) V8!! Its complete, from carb to pan, spark plug wires, the
    tell tale larger harmonic balencer and vent tube from the pan. He
    says that the women he got it from said it was a "289" and it was
    her ex-husbands. Was left at the house after their divorce, the V8
    needed to be gone now that the house was in escrow. He asked, "what
    year is it?" I said "63-64". He says, "so its a Studebaker engine
    huh? Did they all have chrome valve covers?" I said, "no it was an
    option". He says, "do you want it? How about 100 bucks?" Before I
    could even think about it, my mouth said "I can do it for 100, sure".
    He then told me that he offered it to another "Studebaker freak" in
    town for 150 bucks, & he passed on it (Doh![B)]), thats even after he
    found that it turned over!

I have no idea what condition is, but it DOES have newer core plugs &
    he said that it had some plastic on it - it blew off. We havent had
    any rain lately, so it might be OK inside. I think I will first pull
    the plugs & see if it turns 360 degrees, then pull the heads to check
    out the cylinder walls. If that looks good, maybe pull the pan on it
    and check the rod bearings?? He mentioned that he drained the oil out
    of it, and there was no water in it, just clean oil. The rockers look
    to be clean and grime free, and the paint on the block and heads look
    to be "recent" - as in not 40+ years old.

I am glad my axle was bent. Sure glad I didnt blow 600 bucks on a set
    of flanged axles I didnt need right now.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

You'll get more then that for 1961 Delco GM style distribitor. BTW, it's 64 engine. (Sept 63 production) You should report the engine number to the Jet Thrust registry.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    63 Daytona HT
    63 Lark 2 dr.
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm..!

And here I thought you ment a Yamaha R1 !

Mike

Comment

Thats not the correct distributor?? I remember the hoopla over the
        "window distributors", but I didnt know that it was only one year! Is
        the air cleaner correct? What is different with my 63 Avanti R1?

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Thats not the correct distributor?? I remember the hoopla over the
          "window distributors", but I didnt know that it was only one year! Is
          the air cleaner correct? What is different with my 63 Avanti R1?
          Tom
          The R1 in my '63 Hawk came with a dual point Prestolite distributor.

The air cleaner is not like the stock one on my Hawk. On mine, the top cover extends down over the air filter. With the one on your engine, the side of the air filter will show when it is sandwiched between the two halves of the air cleaner. KMUL221 provided a link to one (with photo) in an earlier post:

I think the Delco window distributor was used on V8 engines in '60 as well as '61. The fuel pump looks like a standard one, not the higher capacity one used on the R1, but i would have to go look at my car to be sure. The water pump housing doesn't look right either. I think it is a replacement. Still, it is one heck of a good find. Congrats! Dale

Comment

Yah ... I have the one thats listed on ebay on my Avanti, but I was
            under the impression that the Super Lark & Super Hawk got a different
            air cleaner. The fuel pump looks to be the same high output one that
            is on the Avanti R1, & the water manifold looks like a standard Hawk &
            Lark water pump manifold. Was there a different one for the R1 Hawk
            & Lark? The water pump is a "rebuilt" says on the sticker. I have a
            feeling that the engine was rebuilt, but they didnt use hi-temp paint.

Tom

Comment

Tom, the pulleys on that car are definitely for a Lark/Hawk, they are too close to the block for an Avanti, and appear to be stamped steel.

It appears that this engine may have been with factory A/C. If the outermost pulley on the crank is wider than the one next to it, and you'd be willing to sell it, let me know. If the engine runs you are one lucky SOB as there's more than what you paid for it in bolt ons that I suspect you wouldn't use anyway.

good find!

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Oh, that fuel pump is a factory Stude pump but not a R1 pump. you probably knew that though

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Ya did good!
                  Saving that engine from a scrap fate is a great thing!
                  Being there at the right moment and not hesitating makes all the difference.
                  Sometimes you stike gold!
                  Congrats!
                  Jeff[8D
                  ]
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Tom,
                    Talk about hittin' an home run!!!! Boy you sure did here. Way to go Tom! Lookin' forward to your internal investigation results.
                    Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

OK, now that I'm more coherent (got a pot of coffee made)

the engine is from a Lark or Hawk for sure by the serial number.

It did apparently have factory A/C on a second look as the normal location of the heater hose fitting on the water manifold is blocked off (it would have been covered by the A/C compressor) if you haven't guessed I would be real interested in buying that lower pulley as that is what I'm missing. Alternately if you want to use it I'll sell you all the other brackets and pulleys, but they won't do you any good as an Avanti owner.

It has a Lark/Hawk damper and pointer. This is well worth 2-3x what you paid for the engine all by itself.

The fuel filter appears original, but not sure about the mounting.

The fuel pump is from a late Stude V-8 and is original style. There's a fuel filter in that bowl so if you decide to use it check the filter first at a minimum.

The air cleaner is aftermarket. This is somewhat disappointing but given all the other goodies on that engine and the price I think you still made out like a bandit.

The distributor, as JP already pointed out, is from a '61 Lark. This is not a bad thing; the dual point Prestolite was a great dist... before it prematurely wore out, as they all do. The Delco "window" is fairly desirable among Stude owners simply because it's reliable and durable, and easy to set the dwell.

I can't see enough of the carb to tell, but it *looks* original. It's missing the "kicker" though.

again, nice score. You done good. If you sold the damper and trashed the rest (not that I'm suggesting you do that) you'd probably make money.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Lucky find! You could peddle that thing, buy the flanged axles and STILL have some handsome change in your pocket!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi, Tom,

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

(Now, I figure you might share part of the profits or some R1 parts, since I was the one who suggested you have the replacement axle magnafluxed.)

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

... the water manifold looks like a standard Hawk &
                            Lark water pump manifold. Was there a different one for the R1 Hawk
                            & Lark?
                            Sorry Tom. I meant the water pump itself, not the water manifold. The water pump looks like many of the rebuilts we get nowdays for the regular V8. Dale

Comment

Will the front pulley assembly from the Avanti R1 fit the crank in
                              this R1? I sware that fuel pump looks just like the one on my Avanti,
                              you SURE its a standard pump? I thought the standard pumps were a lot
                              smaller, and flater. Yah .. the water pump is a cheapo rebuild. I
                              wish I knew what happened to the rest of this car! I asked the guy I
                              got the engine from if he had any contact info .. he said that the
                              woman was selling the house .. and she was GONE!

It was truely 'meant to be' finding this R1. I think that I will find
                              out what lurks underneath, and then decide what to do. If this is a
                              rebuilt (or low miles) motor, then I am tempted to run it for a while
                              in the Avanti, with the speed parts from my Hawk motor. That will be
                              a Edelbrock carb, HEI distributor, R3 cam w/Chrysler lifters, and the
                              high flow ported heads I spent about $2000 bucks on 10 years ago!! It
                              also gives me an R1 engine (without matching bellhousing) that I can
                              use to mount the T56 6 speed trans!

On another note .. I got my bumpers back today from Vernes .. OMG are
                              they beautiful! I just ripped the paper off where that HUGE rust spot
                              used to be for over 10 years, and you can use it as a mirror. WOW! He
                              does GOOD work .. Jon Myer was right!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X