Unwanted hitchhikers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted hitchhikers

I just killed Six (6) black widow spiders underneath the Lark tonight. I'd seen their webs so I waited until sunset and went out to find them, then beat the h*ll out of them with my broom. [:0]

Granted, if the car moved a little more, this wouldn't happen... but I thought I'd pass along the warning anyway just in case.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I get Red Back spiders on my vehicles, and the little bastards can web it up over night. I got under my truck one morning to look at an oil leak and came face to face with one the little buggers[:0]

Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Clark, what's odd is that I've yet to SEE a Black Widow this year! Usually we're heavy with them. This year - not ONE! Not that I feel cheated, mind you.[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1963 Cruiser
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Out here in California, we get Black Widows regularly. I use the Wasp Spray that shoots 25 feet ! ! ! ! I had an encounter with some of those nasty ladies while working on 51 2R Pickup. I was lying on my back under the truck pulling the gas tank, and trying to get the last bolt out. I had my hands up and over the front of the tank to back wrench the bolt. Finally the rust got the better of the bolt and it broke. The tank fell down and scattering to the 4 corners of the undercarriage were about a dozen Widows and as many egg sacs. As you could imagine, when one has a touch of arachnophobia, heart palpitations ensued until I could extricate myself from under that trap. That was not fun at all.

sals54
        sals54

Comment

Sal, I shouldn't have to tell you to INSPECT FIRST when disassembling an old Stude in this valley! I've gotten VERY careful about where I grab or stick my fingers before I do so.

Heh - I have wondered if 4-speed Wagonaire or the fella that bought the GT Hawk from me have had any moments of discovery or they all got blown out in transit![:0][xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Picked a V8 Stude out of a sliding roof wagon in western VA one summer. Left the engine in the back of my pickup overhight and next morning there were 4 garter snakes in the bed. Shooed them away and by noon there were 5 more loose in the bed of my truck. All in all there were a total of 13 garter snakes (about 12-14 inches long and harmless) Then next day out came about a 4 foot blacksnake with a distinctive trace of a 12 inch garter snake clearly visible in its stomach.
            Snakes were going in and out via the missiing distributor, garter snakes were living in the "upstairs" quarters in among the pushrods and lifters while the black snake had taken up residence down below among the crank and connecting rods. When the engine was finally opened up it was clear that the black snake was sipmply going upstairs whenever he got hungry!!!
            USE CAUTION WHENEVER YOU TACKLE AN UNKNOWN.

Comment

Geez......... Spiders, wasps, birds - even possum, have I encountered in cars thru the years. Never a snake tho. Sure hope my luck continues![:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

Comment

Mr. Biggs nothing out of the ordinary to this point. We have those little fellows here as well. Always look for them! Not real fond of them or the Brown Recluse. Found nothing unusual when I cleaned it out, will have to fumigate though, many local spiders have found their way in and made a happy little home!

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

My #1 guy had worries about finding what Sal found. He left my car in the enclosed trailer for two weeks with a Raid bomb. Didn't find any dead crawlees but the peace of mind was worth it, I guess. He's deathly afraid of snakes since he was young and his brother fired a 20 gauge into a nest of them. Half a snake went up in the air and down the top of his rubber boot. No matter how far he ran, it just stayed in that boot...
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Spiders, snakes, bears........oh my

Comment

I put a bomb in my 36 Chevy after it came home. It was pulled out of a Cudzu patch in 1976 in Memphis where it had been sitting for at least 20 years. After my buddy told me adout the three snakes that dropped out of it while trailering it home I figured the couple of bucks for tape, plastic and the bomb was money well spent!

Comment

Got 4 more Widows nite before last, 2 small and 2 big. That makes 11 total so far... I just keep going out every night with the spider spray and looking for new webs I think we're slowing down now, though!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I have caught and released several Black Rat Snakes and King Snakes in the shed where I keep my cars. The snakes have never chewed a hole in a head liner yet. But the rats and mice they eat will. Mice will even chew the insulation off your wiring, cause a short and burn down the building with the cars in it. I don't think there are many chemicals more corrosive than mouse pee.

John Clary
                          Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                          SDC member since 1975
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Couldn't agree more! Black snake (rat snakes here in AL) are good buddies! I encourage owls, hawks and cats to hang around my place. Mice have not been a problem, just bugs!

Comment

If you guys had free range chickens you wouldn't have to worry about spiders, hornets or snakes. They eat all the bugs and peck the heck out of snakes. Of course, you also won't have any grass, flowers or vegetables in the garden. [:I]

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

Working...
                              X