'53 Radio Specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 Radio Specs

Was a push button radio an option for '53 Commanders?

Tim-Custom '53 Commander Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ

Restoration pictures at http://www.jimsrodshop.net/31.html
    Car History at http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=30556
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Yes, the model number is S-5327. Bud

Comment

What Bud said, yes the 8 Tube Philco/Studebaker Push Button Radio was an option, but so was the 6 Tube Philco Manual Tuning Model.

And the Clock, Cigar Lighter, Automatic Transmission (starter Switch) and Fog Lights, if you were trying to fill all the holes in the dash! [:0]

StudeRich
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by paintim613

Was a push button radio an option for '53 Commanders?

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

A 1953-1955 radio will fit, but a 1953 radio should not have the CONELRAD symbols on the dial face.

There were about a half dozen of these radios in the parts lot that I sold to Bill Cathcart years ago. If you want one, you might check to see if he has one left.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have an original 53' radio I can sell.

Alex Nelsen
            1954 Champion Coupe
            Lizella, GA
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

If you need a radio, I can supply you with either a manual tune or pushbutton completely restored radios. Bud

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

A 1953-1955 radio will fit, but a 1953 radio should not have the CONELRAD symbols on the dial face....
                When did CONELRAD symbols firsst appear on Studebaker radios? CONELRAD began in 1951 and by law all radios manufactured from 1953 to 1963 were required to have the CONELRAD markings.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

'64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Some '53's had them... mine did... AND DOES. Somewhere I have the dates of what radios should have them... but it will take considerable searching to find that bit of trivia. I purchased my '53 in '63 and am assuming that it is the original radio.

duane miller

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Deaf Mute

Some '53's had them... mine did... AND DOES. Somewhere I have the dates of what radios should have them... but it will take considerable searching to find that bit of trivia. I purchased my '53 in '63 and am assuming that it is the original radio.
                    Thanks for that info. The reason I was asking was because my '53 radio also has the CONELRAD symbols. I have had mine since '66 having bought it from the second owner (who only had it a few weeks). No radio is shown on the build sheet so the radio must have been a dealer install which was common in those days. I am pretty certain that the radio, back-ups and windshield washers were installed when the car was bought new. Is your '53 a LA-built car? Mine is. Perhaps the LA cars got CONELRAD radios before SB cars.

Comment

1953 Studebaker items like the Accessories booklet and the radio folder/manual do NOT show the CONELRAD symbols on the radios.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                      X