need a car carrier recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a car carrier recomendation

I have a friend who needs a car moved on the east coast. Anyone have an idea? I don't, but promised to ask here.

Edit:
    The Landie is currently residing in Bethleham Pa. and needs to go to De Pere Wis.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

A little more info, perhaps, Ron. East Coast is a big area. Budget, time constraint, type of car?

Comment

I'd get a Cottrell C-10 LTB. It'll hold ten cars and will easily hitch up to a Kenworth or Peterbuilt of his choice. He can get one around $100K for a one or two year old unit and he can make money moving cars all across the country.

[)]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Yes, more details needed.

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'd buy it for the ladders
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

I'd get a Cottrell C-10 LTB. It'll hold ten cars and will easily hitch up to a Kenworth or Peterbuilt of his choice. He can get one around $100K for a one or two year old unit and he can make money moving cars all across the country.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Is the bottom bed level solid or can you park on it and work under the car? Looks like an alternative to a lift.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I'm pretty sure Ron's friend just wants a car moved.
              Not start his own car hauling business.

3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28

59 Lark
              etc

Comment

I'll check with George later today. See, the fellow involved is his friend from the Guns N Rovers page. Suffice it to say, the car involved is a Landie. I believe the recipient is in upstate New York. The car is coming from two states or so south. That's all I know. I'll ask George which thread he got this info from.

Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

From that description I would say either Peg's Trucking or the guy that BAMS50/Bob A. recently used. I believe that guy is from the York,PA area. An advantage to his equipment is that there would be no height limit. Some carriers have height restrictions that may apply in this case. (They also have length and road clearance requirements, but they wouldn't apply in this case.) Either contact BAMS50 or maybe he will post the contact information here.

Edit: Maybe Bob A (BAMS50) would like a road trip after the SDC International. If running, he could drive it. I guess that you would have to disconnect the four wheel drive to tow dolly it.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just had Pegs haul a car from Bellingham to Novato, CA. Called on Monday of last week, picked up Thursday, delivered today. $550. Great driver and equipment (11 car hauler).

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've had good luck with Uship.com. You place the max you want to pay and shipping companies bid for your load. The trick is to wait a week as the bids tend to come in a bit lower as they start bidding for the load. My lark was moved from San Francisco area to Palm Springs for $225.00. You get to see feedback from others on the company. I've been quite pleased.

Comment

I tried uship recently and didn't get one reply, other than from uship telling me it was time to relist- and I didn't even name a price.

I'm trying to get a Wagonaire from CA to NY currently, but haven't gotten below $1500- and that's for a car that can drive on and off a transport. I've heard of cheaper, but haven't seen it yet. If anyone has any leads, I'd be glad to hear them. If not, I'll have to decide if it's worth biting the bullet and paying that much for a much wanted- but unrestored- car...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I used "Dependable" to move my Wagonaire from CA to AL. Driver was great, treated the old thing as well as he treated the high dollar Benz that had to come off to get mine down and off. $900 total. Mr. Biggs can atest to the driver and his professionalism.

Bill, Many Fords and one great Stude!

Comment

I would love that deal, Bill! First thing I did was call Dependable, and they told me over $1400 Keep in mind, these companies are mostly just brokers, so there's no telling who or what trucking company will pick it up. Still, I'm not worries about handling, they all do quite well.

Do you have a specific contact or number at Dependable? Might be worth another try.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I used McNutt for the Meteor. It came from Eugene OR. $1595 door to door including the extra $100 for a non-running car. DAS wanted $2250.

ErnieR

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I tried uship recently and didn't get one reply, other than from uship telling me it was time to relist- and I didn't even name a price.

I'm trying to get a Wagonaire from CA to NY currently, but haven't gotten below $1500- and that's for a car that can drive on and off a transport. I've heard of cheaper, but haven't seen it yet. If anyone has any leads, I'd be glad to hear them. If not, I'll have to decide if it's worth biting the bullet and paying that much for a much wanted- but unrestored- car...

Parish, central NY 13131

On its way to a 15.097 Island Dragway Great Meadows NJ Spring 2006.

Comment

Working...
                              X