Anyone have a copy of the Avanti ad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a copy of the Avanti ad?

Could someone post (or email me) a large, good copy of the Avanti outside the cocktail party at the early 60s modern house? I believe Egbert and Lowey are in the background.

I'd like to add it to my screen saver slide show at work.
    Thanks...

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Is this what you are looking for?

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2

Comment

No, not quite. It was a gold car...I believe it was also done as a dealer postcard...

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

No, not quite. It was a gold car...I believe it was also done as a dealer postcard...

Craig

Comment

That's it!

Thanks...
          It reeks of early 60s periodness (to coin a phrase). BTW: what's up with thay guy on the left's jacket? Green & gold?

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

What's up? You said you liked the "60s Periodness". Looking at both pictures, I have to wonder if someone sought out the owner and said: "Hey buddy, you left your lights on."[B)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Looking at both pictures, I have to wonder if someone sought out the owner and said: "Hey buddy, you left your lights on."[B)]
              I surmised they were left on to illuminate the way for the caterers bringing more Hors d' oeuvres. And chilled champaign for Mr Loewy.
              Later on, they'll put the new Henry Mancini LP on the Hi-Fi.
              The hosts just bought a new RCA color TV (the ones with the round picture tube), they've invited us over next Sunday to watch Bonanza...in color!

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Not if the Russian were to drop the bomb. I think then they would all be running for the fallout shelter. Does anyone see the black circle with the three yellow triangles.

"I know nothing"

Sargent Schultz

Comment

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

That's it!

Thanks...
                    [font=Arial][blue][i]It reeks of early 60s periodness (to coin a phrase).
                    And you were expecting some with laser pointers and others talking on cell phones~in 1962!??!? Anyway, some addtional information can about the residence and location can be found on page 31 in the Bonsall "Avanti!" book. It reads:

"This photo and a slight variant were used in several of the early Avanti brochures, and the story behind them is an intriguing one. Before going to Studebaker, Sherwood Egbert had been associated with McCullough Motors. Egbert, McCullough, and Russell Wade, a Palm Desert, California, real estate agent, were good friends and also members of the El Dorado Country Club in Palm Desert. When Egbert wanted publicity shots of the new Avanti he contacted Wade and asked him to see if he could arrange for a location in the vicinity of the country club. Wade secured the house of a Nr. Smith, and, since Raymond Loewy lived in the area, invited him to participate. In the above photo Russell Wade can be seen in the striped jacket immediately behind the car, Mr. Smith is at the front door of his house, and Raymond Loewy is standing on the front steps next to the ornamental lantern. The photos, incidently, were taken by Tom Kelly who reportedly also did the famous Marilyn Monroe calender photo."

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E
                      And you were expecting some with laser pointers and others talking on cell phones~in 1962!??!?
                      Not at all, I wasn't being a wise guy, that's a great period photo.
                      Yes, although I was just a kid, I do recall 1962 and the "modern" conveniences of the time. My parents skipped the hi-fi and went straight to a huge Akai reel to reel stereo tape recorder with pre-recorded tapes.
                      Reminds me of my parents getting dressed up on Friday nights for dinner and dancing "at the club".

Anyone know if the house still exisits? The AOAI had a meet in Palm Springs, anyone have photos of the house?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

All of those people, that look to be able to afford a new car, and only one couple is even looking in the direction of a NEW Avanti. No wonder they didn't sell many <G>.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the story on it Craig. Thats not too far from where I live. Wonder what the house looks like today.

Comment

ISTR Mr McCulloch went on to become a really big-time developer. Wasn't he behind Lake Havasu, and moving London Bridge?

On fashion commentary, you quickly lose you generational prejudices in Studedom. Most of us like to thin of our dads or grandfathers as stodgy and un-hip. This is majorly un-so, dudes. Those loud sport coats and miraculous neckties were the biggest manifestation of male peacockery since the days of Beau Brummel. Hard to believe guys who dressed like that would hold back your allowance or set an early curfew.

I'm rather a conservative dresser myself, or like to think so. On rare occasion though, I will wear an ascot (it looks good with a BSA uniform, for those <i>formal</i> Scout meetings...). But I can't wear an ascot like Ray Loewy did, and I doubt anyone ever will.

Comment

Working...
                            X