Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify the engine of my Hawk

Hello from Germany,
    first of all I want to say sorry because my english is not that good.

My question: My car is a 1956 Flight Hawk built in South Bend. Until last week I thought the engine is a 185 cui champion named 56G. But the new rear main oil seal did not fit ... The number on top of the left side of the engine cannot be read anymore, but down on the left side of the engine I found the number '524807-4'. Who is an expert to tell me what kind of engine it is (year, cui, horsepower)?

Many thanks for your help!

Roger
    Roger

Quality of speaking English is irrelevant when speaking Studebaker. (Feel free to make this an iconic quote.) You did fine and welcome to the forum. I don't know which engine you have, so I am not the expert you are waiting for. But that person does live within this forum.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Your engine block casting number identifies this as a 1950 to '54 170 cubic inch engine. Yes, it would have smaller main bearings and rear seal. On the side of the block near the casting number you should find a date code. It will be a letter (D, E, F, G, or H) followed by some numbers. If you can't find it don't worry. It's enough to know that this is a 1950-'54 engine as far as ordering the correct parts.

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Gruss Gott und willkommen!

Ist Ihr Name ein Hinweis auf Ihrem anderen Auto? Ich habe ein '88 in meiner Fahrstrasse.

Now I'll be surprised if my German is anywhere near as good as your English :P

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for all your answers.

I did not find the data-code - but now I know all about the engine I need to know.

Maybe I can find the correct engine (185 cui) for my car - I will try.

Nate: German is a very difficult language to learn ... Yes, my name tells something about my Porsche 944. It is one of the first cars ever built, the first registration was in april 1982.

Roger
          Roger

Comment

One more Thing: Here is a photo of my car (I hope it will work):

Studebaker Flight Hawk, 1956 Oldtimertreffen Büsum (Germany)

Roger
            Roger

Comment

Roger, that Hawk is magnificent, it has a very good paint finish on it. Did you paint it in Germany? Are there many Studebakers in Germany and what models do you have over there? Regards Brian.
              Brian Greenall
              Melbourne, OZ
              sigpic

Comment

Hello Brian,

I bought the Hawk in 2002 with this paint on it. The seller told me, that this is the original paint from 1956 - I am not shure if that is true.

In Germany there are only a few Studebaker cars. My car is the only Flight Hawk registered in Germany. Sometimes on meets we see one ore two pre-war cars. In Germany people rather often choose old Mercedes or Porsche. If it comes to cars from the USA, we meet quite often Cadillacs and Buicks.

Roger
                Roger

Comment

Working...
                X