Well we thought it was a compliment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well we thought it was a compliment

WE were driving our Studebakers on Saturday. Now you know how people honk and wave it goes with the territory driving a Studebaker. Well there were 4 Studes in a row and behind me was another club member in a King cab pickup. We were traveling up 41 its a two lane road speed limit 55. This guy comes up behind the pickup flashing his lights on a cell phone honking his horn. Well there are turnouts for slower drivers to pull off the road also every once in while a slow traffic lane for us to keep up our speed but allow others to pass. Most of the road is marked no passing mountainous road scary stuff to pass most of the time.
    Well this jerk passes the pickup gets behind me I'm in the 55 President. Flashing his lights honking the horn nowhere for me to go. I'm going 55 to 60 fast enough. The street is marked no passing well he risks his life and ours and passes anyway. When he goes to pass Bruce who is driving my 54 Commander, Bruce thinks gosh he's honking gonna give him a thumbs up, so Bruce turns his head to look at the guy as he wizzes by the guy flips him off and honks swerves back in front of him. Well Bruce had a smile on his face then a look of shock. It is not funny, It is not Funny. Maybe if I say it so many times it won't be funny. Its also sad that people have no respect for the road or any other drivers on it. I was so worried that he would get into a head on and run into us. I was glad that he got the heck away from us . anyhow just wanted to share.

Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
    Fresno,Ca
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

quote:Originally posted by Anne F. Goodman

When i was running dirt cars we used to sit around and talk about taking an old claimer or demo derby car out on the road and rub some of the rude folks that on the road.

I still think it would be fun today, with a big cell phone painted on the side.

Comment

When bozo's like that come up behind you, you wish you had a 2 Ton HD Transtar/Diesel with an insecure load of bricks on board.[B)]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

What is it with people today? It blows me away when you are doing 55-60 and people have enough, well, lack of brains to pull a stunt like that. I completely agree, since when do people think that being in a hurry is worth more than me and my families life. It is sad, and I see it every day on the roads around california.

Comment

Then again, there's always the chance he went over the cliff and is having to suck moisture out of cactus for three days until someone finds him. [}]

Comment

Nothing gets my goat more than when some idiot HAS to pass or tailgate just because I'm in an old car!!!!JERKS!!! When someone smiles and waves,tho, it can make everything all better.[8D]

Comment

The years go by and some things never change - do any of you remember some of the old driver's ed movies like Disney's "Mr Wheeler", or some of the awful ones like "Blood on the Highway"?

There always seems to be a certain percentage subset of drivers who may otherwise be nice good people who become the proverbial horse's ass once behind the wheel - power does that to some people.

Just the other day I was driving by a local trio of schools, two elementary and one middle school. Posted 35 mph speed limit which I was doing, and one legal lane in each direction. A Lexus fills up my rear view mirror - then passes me IN THE BICYCLE LANE! Good grief. This actually happens too often, this time I really lay on my horn and get the digit salute in return. This person got exactly one car length ahead of where they were as they pull in behind the car that I was following. That is a lot of trouble for little gain. At the stop light I blare my horn and get more fist waving in return. Finally, a lady (well, not really) gets out of the Lexus and starts screaming at me that I am a bad driver - I tell her she doesn't own the road - she tells me I am a slow driver - its useless but I point out how little she gained with her driving stunt. Then she unleashes 100 lbs of fury on my car and actually dented it with her fists. She took off and I filed a police report - but apparently I didn't get the license plate number correct. Yeah I know its not smart to provoke a nut driver into a confrontation, but I also feel that is exactly why some people will drive as if the road really is theirs, and theirs alone - because no one ever tells them they are wrong. I'll probably still toot my horn at self centered driver's, but not continue to blare the horn after that.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
              Packrat junk collector
              '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

In Ontario,Canada we have a "hot line" phone number to call the police & report the vehicle licence plate & offence.The owner gets a letter from the authorities.If reported again (he-she) gets a visit from the police & has to take driver classes & is reported to their insurance company.No matter how fast you go it's never good enough for some drivers.

Comment

Comment

It is always nice to hear of a moron driver getting his car squashed due to his stupidity. I have had the misfortune of folks who think that because I am in an old car I must be slow, I mean, I usually drive 5-10 miles an hour over the speed limit, and they will have been going about the same, but as soon as I get near them, either an on ramp or a turn, they think they have to floor it to get around me. At first I just thought they were actually maintaining a speed faster than me...but no, most pass and slow down...sometimes slower than I was driving in the first place... So now when I see one of those and they floor it to get around me...I floor it too. Usually at around 85 they give up. but some don't and I usually call it quits at around 90..cause after that it isn't worth it...but as soon as the pass me, they slow back down to the speed they were at before...and sometimes I catch up with them...oh well...

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

So now when I see one of those and they floor it to get around me...I floor it too. Usually at around 85 they give up. but some don't and I usually call it quits at around 90..cause after that it isn't worth it...but as soon as the pass me, they slow back down to the speed they were at before...and sometimes I catch up with them...oh well...
                      I'm sorry, but I have to say it. You are a horse's rear end. You don't drag race a car passing you. This is just as dangerous as anything Anne mentioned. I have seen this now and then and if someone drag races me while trying to get around them, I start drifting to the right until he backs down or I hit them (I haven't hit them yet). This is how bad accidents happen. Those cars that do get by you probably slow down on purpose because of your antics.

This is the reason I don't get a motorcycle. I've seen everything down here from passing on double yellow lines and passing on the bicycle lane, to motorcycles passing between the lanes and between cars at freeway speeds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Tom,

I'm not sure I understand how less dangerous it is to "....start drifting to the right until he backs down or I hit them...". This also seems like how bad accidents happen.

Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The NEW Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by r1lark

Tom,

I'm not sure I understand how less dangerous it is to "....start drifting to the right until he backs down or I hit them...". This also seems like how bad accidents happen.
                          If I'm going to hit somebody, I'd rather hit the idiot drag racing me than the innocent person coming at me in the oncoming lane.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

met a nut last Sunday coming home from Carroll County with my girlfriend and two other passengers in the Cruiser.

Posted limit was 60, I was averaging 70, in the left lane as there was slower traffic on the road. Saw a late model 4x4 pickup coming up fast behind me as I was approaching yet another slower car. The 4x moves to the right lane and tries to pass, but we reach the slower car too soon and he had to back off.

Once we pass the car, the 4x again moves to the right lane, but this time pulls alongside me and comes about a foot over the line towards the Cruiser! [:0]

As he pulled away I'm afraid we were a bit too shaken to get the tag number.

A. Charles Eck, Jr.
                            Essex, MD

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

'64 Cruiser 'Louise'
                            '57 Commander 4 door sedan 'Bluebird'
                            '66 Ford F-250
                            '66 Ford F-100
                            '53 John Deere 50
                            '41 John Deere H All-Fuel
                            '41 John Deere B All-Fuel

Comment

Anne, it's a fact that too many morons drive on our roads. It's unfortunate that these same morons reproduce and live among us. It's not in a particular state of our union, but it's all over. I see these jerks all the time. I really try to get out of their way, hoping they'll run into a tree or something, just not some other innocent driver.
                              I'm glad that you survived.
                              Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X