Just when you think you've seen it all! Now W/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think you've seen it all! Now W/pics

I've been talking about the impending paint job on the '63 Cruiser for several weeks now. A couple of times, as Saturday approached (the day my painter has access to his shop's paint booth), some minor thing got in the way, but I was patient thru it all. The last Saturday of June looked good, but it was my fault that someone else's car got painted instead of mine.
    The weekend before that, the painter came by my house to see the Cruiser. He'd not seen it even tho he'd agreed to paint it when the bodyman finished his repairs and finessed it so that it would take the paint nicely. This was on Friday - the 19th - and he balked at the clear coat I'd gotten for the job. Even tho it's about the most expensive stuff PPG makes, his complaint was that he couldn't deliver his best effort unless I went back and swapped it for the stuff he specified. Being it wasa Friday evening, I couldn't do the swap until at least Monday, which meant it would be the NEXT Saturday before the Cruiser could get into the booth. Then, because I didn't call him quick enough to tell that I'd swapped the clear, he let someone else get in line ahead of me.

So, Thrusday afternoon - July 2nd - he calls me and asks if I'm gonna have the car at the shop Friday morning. He'd not told me that the shop was gonna have Friday off, so he wanted to mask the car up on Friday morning and then shoot the paint early on Saturday before it got too hot.
    Now, even tho the car IS driveable (and I drove it less than half a mile from the house to shoot that little bit of IDYSD video), I didn't fancy driving it the 6 or 7 miles to the shop - right in town - without hanging lites and such on it to be legal. SO, I enlisted the help of my gearhead neighbor and his nice trailer to get the car to the shop. By 9AM, it was sitting IN the paint booth and I was getting excited about retrieving it in a few hours with it's Blue Mist coloration gleaming in the sun.
    The painter guy again looks in the box of paint supplies I've bought and says "UH-OH", they gave you the wrong stuff AGAIN. Of course, I groaned, grabbed the "wrong stuff" and headed out to the paint shop to exchange it. It would only take 15 minutes or so and I'd be back.

When I got back to the shop, the painter met me at the door. "I got bad news for you." he says. "There's no way I'm gonna spray that paint on that car until the bodyman straightens out some stuff he missed."

"WHA??? WHA'D he MISS????" He leads me back to the booth where he's stuck a half dozen bits of masking tape to point out the boo-boos. And they were THERE! I was flabberghasted that my body guy could have missed such glaring glitches - glitches that protruded outwards - not inwards. 4 of the six points were obviously glaring oversights of my bodyman - a guy with nearly 30 years of experience - the guy, by the way, who'd recommended this painter to do the honors.

I call my buddy back up, he brings his trailer back over (of course, he'd disconnected it already) and we haul the Cruiser back to my place. I was disgusted, to say the least. I pulled it back into the shop and walked away. I'd already talked to the bodyman on the phone and he'd agreed to come by and make things right on Monday.
    I DID get the car out to drive it for the aforementioned video clip, but it went right back into the shop after that.

Today, the bodyman comes out and runs his hand over the first two dents. He stops, looks at me with suspicion and I said "HEY! I haven't had a tool NEAR this thing since you finished with it 2 weeks ago!
    I confess, I was SO trusting of everyone involved, that it never occurred to me that someone would sabatoge the car. NEVER! But by golly, I opened the door and looked at the inside for the first time. There, showing the chipped sound deadener that I'd applied just two weeks ago, were obvious tool marks where the painter, I guess, figured out a way to get out of painting on his long weekend!

He (and he alone) was with the car during the time I was off chasing the reducer he specified. The car shows FOUR defini
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

You appear to be taking this much better than I would! [B)][:0]

I suppose it is always better to take the high road, but some folks sure make that difficult - hope it works out for you Bob.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island Chapter
    http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

That sucks! [xx(]

I've experienced a few horror stories with painters and heard many. Must be something in the fumes [^].

Hard to find a good one. When you do, pay them what they ask and stick with them.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

How in the he## did he think he'd get away with that? Laziness the only motivation, or did he try to say he'd fix them for you and charge more, Bob? Unbelievable.

Comment

You are a better man than I am. I am afraid I would have really blown up! I had a body man rivet the stainless trim to a Lark he was fixing after a hit and run situation. I was furious. He claimed he couldn't find the right clips for it. I was furious but not so quietly furious as you seem to be. Your a good man.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Oh, I'm HOT! No, HOT! But I have to play it cool until I get to confront him. I plan to be there the moment his boss (a nice lady in this case) walks in the door. Then I'm going to tell her what's gone on - just like I told it here.

This operation has been in business since the 30s! In fact, it was a repair garage starting in 1914. This gal took over the business from her dad, who'd had it since the 30s. It's one of the most respected body shops in town. They're struggling thanks to the turn-down and there's another painter they had to lay off that's still out of work. If this ass-hat gets let go, they'll have a painter handy to call back.

It was roughly 10 years ago that the Larkvertible got caught up in the revenge misdoings of a fired bodyman. Cost me over $2K in materials alone, to fix that fiasco! Different shop, of course.[8]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Take your body man to back up your story. You've had some bad luck, Biggs. I didn't exactly have Dick's Jon Falcon working on mine, but I wish they could all be like him. That's a paint job! [^]

Comment

For years, I have had people ask me who did the work on my cars. I have always answered that I did everything myself because I was too cheap to pay anyone else to work on them. Although that is not too far from the truth, I have trouble trusting others to do the work or take as good care of my stuff as I would. Except for chrome work, upholstering the seats, and installing headliners, I have done all my cars myself. At least I know who to give a swift kick to when things go wrong. When you do get the painting done, stay with the car and observe the work, if they don't allow you to, find someone who will. If they are competent, they should be proud to have you watch.

John Clary
                Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
                SDC member since 1975
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Can I suggest you get some photographs of the tool marks on the damaged areas? They might prove useful.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Obscene, Bob; just obscene. Inexcusable. Keep us posted...and try to avoid assault charges if the painter challenges you!

Forum decorum prohibits expressing a more graphic, albeit more honest, opinion.[}] BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I don't mean any harm or disrespect here, but about halfway down the thread I concluded that the painter DIDN'T want to do your car anyway.Sounds like just another BillyBob barroom promise.The fact that he wanted to work with the kind of materials he was used to working with (the 'right' stuff)would otherwise be a legitimate stance, but I feel that this was just another stall tactic.When he knew you were going to haul a$$ to get the correct stuff so he could do the job,that's when it got [}]'ed up. That way he wouldn't have to be bothered with painting the car at all.If this joker would have just manned up and said he didn't want to paint your car,it would have saved a lot of headache and heartache.At least the bodyman is stepping up to the plate to make his end of things right.Let the shop owner know that this guy is bad news, and let it go at that.From that point on, it's on them (the shop owner and the painter).And one wonders why people rattle-can,roll or PowerPaint their cars.I've been schmicked around like that,once with an upholesterer, and the latest go-round with a soda blaster.He did a hood for my car; did a good job and I gladly paid him what he asked.I wanted him to do the roof next, so we set up a tentative time that was good for both of us and it rained. The next week I called to re-schedule and said he'd get right back to me.Two weeks and three calls later;still nothing is set up.He sound sincere enough on the phone and has (supposedly)taken my cell phone, home phone and work numbers every time.Well guess what-he just lost my business.WTH is wrong with people?With the economy the way it is,you would think people would like to make an extra dollar or two.I work OT just about every week and I'm greatful for it.I'm not going to ask you how much you were going to pay this guy 'cause it's none of my business.Just hold on to that cash for a while until you run into someone that paints cars for a living.There are some fine folks out there who take pride in their work; it's just a matter of finding them.(I hope that's enough of a disclaimer to keep the 'high horse riders'from coming down on me.)Anyway, thanks for hearing me out, and I wish you the best of luck in getting your car "done"!!!

Comment

My bodyman's one cool guy. It so happens that he works at the same shop. Since my trusted painter of some years back has disappeared, I asked my guy if he knew of a capable painter I could hire. He introiduced me to this guy from their shop.

I wouldn't think there's any "bad blood" between them and it was readily obvious that my body guy felt guilty for what's happened since he was the one that set me up with this painter.

I just took some shots of the damage. I'll post a couple pics in a bit. It's SO obvious that the damage was done AFTER the refinishing.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1963 Cruiser
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President two door

Comment

Offensive, childish, chicken@#%t... can't think of a strong enough word. Un Be Lieveable[}] Makes it hard to NOT want to just apply a few open-hand slaps to the jerk...

Robert (Bob) Andrews- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob, I wouldn't go back. That is, I wouldn't trust these people with my car. Such a 'Prima Donna' painter just might sabotage the job or simply do a crappy one. If it were me, I would go back and give the owner a (respectful) piece of my mind! Respectful, because she's not responsible and her business has been around so long with such a good reputation, up till now. Perhaps, what might happen is that Mr. Prima Donna would get sacked and the laid off painter would be asked back.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

How about tracking down the laid-off painter, and getting HIM to paint the Lark? It ought to be possible to find a paint booth to rent somewhere in Visalia. Or simply jury-rig a paint booth from one of the portable garages and some big box fans?

Seems to me that there would be a criminal case against the jerk who did this.

Comment

Working...
                              X