New paint over new paint????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint over new paint????

My car was painted with base coat and clear coat last week. I have not gone back to look but I am sure that it is not the color that is shown in the paint book. Can the painter paint the correct base coat [u]over</u> the clear coat and then put another clear coat over that now. Will it need to be sanded and lots of other things done first or will it be one of those, "wait a few weeks for it to cure etc." The painter told me before he painted the rest of the car that NAPA had gone to a different clear coat-I am wondering if that may be the problem.

Unnecessary Details:
    I picked up my 50 from the paint shop last week and the color just didn't look quite right although the paint job is great. I wanted to compare it with the other pieces so I didn't say anything at the time. The firewall, fender aprons, dash and inside window trim were done a few weeks back. They are the color I chose from the paint chart! When I got it home, I compared those pieces which were done earlier, to the rest of the car and there is a great difference. The pieces done first were the color that I had selected-a 98 Dodge truck Metallic Red. The paint and clearcoat came from NAPA. I know that its being painted at different times makes a difference due to humidity and other things. I am not talking about that kind of difference. I am talking about what my wife called a raspberry red when I brought the first pieces home and now she calls the new color pinkish. If the first pieces had been the color that the car is now, I would have dealt with it then but they were fine. To me it leans more toward an orange tint now. I have one of the gallon cans which has the code on it for mixing the paint. I plan to get with the painter and talk to him about what to do.

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

If the color is off that much then you have to let whoever mixed it know. The mixture is way off and it is not a brand or new clear coat type of problem, it is a mixers problem. Yes you can repaint over the clear that is on it as long as it is still fresh, not so fresh that it is tacky but you know. You will need to sand it down some, and what I like to use is 400 grit. Then you can respray color and reclear, but it is very important to sand the older clear down a bit first as it may try to lift otherwise.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

It must be sanded, otherwise, there will be too much material on the vehicle. Too much material will cause "problems" down the road. I forget the maximum number of mils in thickness, and YES it can be measured.

I would suggest, using a LONG block, and blocking it down, that way, it will be even better than before.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

In between bad weather, instead of taking my Avanti to body shop class, took my wifes Camry. Had to sand off the clearcoat from the hood & fender that I repaired. The paint will eventually peel if you don't take the clear off from where your painting.

I used PPG but, it was different than the instructor is used to. Was not as glossy as the clear that came with Toyaota but, car is a 2001 and , a lesson learned.

Also, if he had an paint booth with an oven, the paint and clear should be, more or less, cured. Usually it bakes at 140 for around 40 minutes in a booth.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.
          A fellow from NAPA came out and saw the difference in the color that was mixed for the wheels, firewall, and interior and that mixed for the exterior of the car. In looking at his materials he determined that both colors came under the same number(he had paint samples much like those from a house paint store). He said that they have different colors for the same number since colors vary even in the factory and must be checked when trying to match up fenders etc. to other painted parts on a car.

He said that the paint was mixed to match the color in the paint sample book used at the paint shop for the first batch. (this was the color I wanted) He didn't know why the same mix was not used for the second batch but said that the first fellow didn't work for them now and that the second batch was mixed by a different fellow.

He said that he would do whatever it takes to make me happy. I have not decided what to ask for as yet.

Jimmie
          Orleans, Indiana
          sigpicJimmie
          Orange County, Indiana
          1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Be firm and polite.
            Tell him you need [u]ALL</u> the primer, paint, and clearcoat needed to paint the car properly from scratch.
            It was their mistake, and if they read their paint suppliers warranty policy, it will probably be too thick if you do not remove the improper color paint.
            It is an in-house warranty issue for them.
            It is a long term paint job for you.
            Keep us informed of your progress.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimmie
            &lt;snip&gt;
            He said that he would do whatever it takes to make me happy. I have not decided what to ask for as yet.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
            X