This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-12 Gear Ratio

A friend of mine has bought a 1955 E-12 Stake bed truck from NM. 224 V8 4-Speed. He would like to know the rearend ratio. No tag on back cover. Thanks

Carl

The only way to know for sure is to pull the cover , rotate the ring gear around and look for the ratio stamped on the side of the gear.
    Ratios could have been 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88.
    Any of these could have been ordered with the truck, 4.10 probably most common in trucks operated in flat areas, with the other ratios used in hilly/mountainous areas.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28
    4E2
    59 Lark
    etc

Comment

The only way to know for sure is to pull the cover , rotate the ring gear around and look for the ratio stamped on the side of the gear.
      Ratios could have been 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88.
      Any of these could have been ordered with the truck, 4.10 probably most common in trucks operated in flat areas, with the other ratios used in hilly/mountainous areas.

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28
      4E2
      59 Lark
      etc

Comment

It must be a 4.10. Out on the hiway it seems to be just right about 55 MPH. The truck has 43K on oddometer. Very little rust. Looks better that most 90 models

Comment

It must be a 4.10. Out on the hiway it seems to be just right about 55 MPH. The truck has 43K on oddometer. Very little rust. Looks better that most 90 models

Comment

Not to pick nits here, but the book shows only 4.10, a 4.88 & a 5.57(!) available for the series 12 of of '55. None of which I'd wanna drive around on without overdrive!

Sounds like a nice truck tho. If it were mine, I'd be looking for a New Process 5-spd W/5th over.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not to pick nits here, but the book shows only 4.10, a 4.88 & a 5.57(!) available for the series 12 of of '55. None of which I'd wanna drive around on without overdrive!

Sounds like a nice truck tho. If it were mine, I'd be looking for a New Process 5-spd W/5th over.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Biggs. He is taking the bed over to get it redone. I will tell him about the 5 speed. He has about 200 acres of land. He mostly drives around the place and to the store and back. He also bought a 56 F##d 3/4 Stake bed.

Comment

Thanks Mr. Biggs. He is taking the bed over to get it redone. I will tell him about the 5 speed. He has about 200 acres of land. He mostly drives around the place and to the store and back. He also bought a 56 F##d 3/4 Stake bed.

Comment

Thanks Mr.Biggs, my parts books only go back to 1957 so I guessed that similiar ratios would have been available in 1955, guess I was only off on one.

3E38
                    4E2
                    4E28
                    5E13
                    7E7
                    8E7
                    8E12
                    8E28
                    4E2
                    59 Lark
                    etc

Comment

Thanks Mr.Biggs, my parts books only go back to 1957 so I guessed that similiar ratios would have been available in 1955, guess I was only off on one.

3E38
                      4E2
                      4E28
                      5E13
                      7E7
                      8E7
                      8E12
                      8E28
                      4E2
                      59 Lark
                      etc

Comment