1950 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Land Cruiser

I am new here and would like to say hello and ask a simple question. I am looking at a 1950 Stude Land Cruiser It has a 6 cyl and I was wondering if it is the same as the Champion engine or is it the same.

James,
    Welcome to the Forum!

The '50 Land Cruiser is a wonderful car!

The Land Cruiser Commander six is 245 cid. The Champion six is only 170 cid.
    In 1951 they replaced the 245 with the 232 V8.
    Land Cruiser was the top of the line, long wheel base luxury Studebaker.

Lucky you!

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks would anybody know of some speed equip for these engines and where a guy could get them.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

This brings back memories. A friend named Harry had a 1950 Land Cruiser when he died. I have not found out what happened to his car.
        As others said, the 1950 Land Cruiser engine is a different design and much larger than the Champion engine. For 1950, the front fenders are much longer on Commanders, including Land Cruiser, than they are on 1950 Champions or 1951 Champions or Commanders/Land Cruisers.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes the body differences I know about but I am not real savvy on the engine options of the Stude. As for the name Harry that was the name of my Great Grandfather. His full name was believe it or not Harry Studebaker.

PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA

Comment

Bill Cathcart, somewhere in New England, is our guru for 6 cylinder engines, specifically the 170s. If anyone knows about hop up for the Commander 6 he will. His ads appear in Turning Wheels, or, I suspect, he can be found in the Vendor's List on the SDC homepage.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
            X