The Stuff You Find While Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stuff You Find While Driving

I was making the 85 mile trip from southern Lakeland to Eustis to look at a '57 Dodge for work. While driving up FL-19 in Lake County, I see a guy in a business driveway with a ratty Avanti being flat towed behind it. It looked like he had pulled off because of mechanical problem. I turned around and went back because I'd hate to leave a fellow Studie stranded.

So I go back and the building belongs to the guy with the Avanti. He was just pulling the car out front to put a 'For Sale' sign on it. He's also trying to sell a '41 Commander 4-dr as well. As he's not hooked to the web and not a member, I figured I'd post these here in case someone might be interested.

The first car is a 1964(?) Avanti. While it needs a complete restoration, it is 99% complete. It's an R1 car with a 4-speed. No A/C. He's looking for $3500 or best offer.

The 2nd car is a 1941 Commander (Skyway?) 4-door sedan. This car is ruuuusssssstttttttyyyyy. The engine looks great with everything in place. The interior is a mess and the rubber is so bad that the rear window fell in by itself onto the package tray. The body code is a little different than I've seen before (11AB-7). I know this is a Commander (11A) but what's the rest mean? Anyways, he's asking $2500 OBO. I told him this was unrealistic as this looks mostly like a parts car at this point. He said if no one will pay for it, he'll let it sink...[xx(][V]. I'm sorry these pictures aren't great, but with all the weeds and other crap around it, I couldn't get a clear shot of it.

President Hub Caps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Nice pictures, Tom, seriously. Considering those prices, did he offer you a pull on whatever he was smoking?[:0] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Florida will take back to nature whatever you leave outside.
      No exceptions.

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Nice pictures, Tom, seriously. Considering those prices, did he offer you a pull on whatever he was smoking?[:0] BP
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Has the Avanti been under water? I'd bet they both were.

Comment

The roof on the Commander was badly rusted around the drip rail.

Is this a Skyway sedan? I really like the body style (if not this car). It had President hub caps, and not being familiar with these cars. If it was a President, I'd be tempted to throw $500 at it and practice my welding with it. Any idea why it's a 'AB'?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
            Any idea why it's a 'AB'?
            "11A" is the series, and the "B-7" denotes its a Land Cruiser body style. (Rear doors are hinged on the 'B' pillar.)

Craig

Comment

I think that body tag just looks odd because there is no space between the A and the B. It means '41 Commander (11A), Land Cruiser (B), Skyway (7).

HEY, you're not Wilbur!
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

A good demonstration of greed.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

A good demonstration of greed.
                  I don't know. It's obvious the cars are not worth what he's asking, but to an outsider, they are rare cars from a company no longer building cars. We see this all the time on Ebay.

As for the Commander, I may take another run at this guy down the road. I really like the '41 models and it appears to be a highline Commander. I promised myself after restoring one rustbucket to never do it again (restore or deal with bad rust). But it's mostly complete, and if nothing else, I could part it. I wish I could have got the drivers do open for a serial number but it was stuck. This was also one of the few '41's without the 'color band' at the nose.

Tom - Mulberry, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

So maybe you have discovered another non two-toned '41 Skyway. The other that I have in mind is Buzz Beckman's Pres. Crusing Sedan.

Comment

Thanks for posting Tom. I'll bet that Avanti could be had for a bit over 2000$. Looks like Ford wheels. jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Which looks worse, this Avanti or the one JDP showed a few weeks ago buried in the mud ? Its amazing how the folks who own these cars let them fall into the shape their in.

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

I like the wheels...
                          If Ford..a late 70s T-Bird?
                          Also, didn't Corvettes have something similar?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I hope this guy comes to his senses on the price so the cars don't spend another 10 years out in the Florida sun and moisture. By then all you will need is a broom and dustpan to take them away.

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

I wouldn't take that Avanti if you gave it to me.

Chris Pile
                              Editor: The Studebaker Special
                              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X