O.D Trancmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.D Trancmission

Dose anyone know if a transmission out of 6 cylinder 1951 Champion with over drive will fit a 1962 259 V8 with a 3 speed. According to the tag on the engine fire wall mine was a 6 cylinder, but it's a 259 now. The guy I bought it off of never told me this and I don't know what all was changed when this was done. Any help would be appreciated

Gene Shambaugh
    Gene Shambaugh

No they aren't the same

[IMG]
    Home of the Fried Green Tomato
    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
    1964 Daytona HT
    sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

What's different? My transmission has the long tail stock. It looks like a T-85, but there's no solenoid or governor on it. Thanks for the reply. Gene

Gene Shambaugh
      Gene Shambaugh

Comment

The '51 Champion six used a Borg Warner T96 short yoke output transmission. For the '62 V8 you need a T86 long slip shaft output.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

One easy way of telling a 6 from a 8 tranny is look at the top inspection cover . The smaller tranny has 4 bolts in it and the V8 trannys have 6 bolts.

[IMG]

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Is your car a 51 champion or a 62? and it sounds as if the transmission is not an overdrive either...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Unless I have missed something, I have the impression that you have a 51 champion with a later V8 engine and a transmission that works in it. If so, then a transmission compatible with the V8 must have been installed together. Are you having problems with it, or are you just curious about what you have?

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It sounds to me like Gene has a '62 V8 with three speed that was originally a six. He desires to switch to overdrive and has access to an OD trans from a '51 six.

Won't work. If he finds a T86 long tail OD, he's golden.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a 1962 Lark 4 door sedan with a 259 V8 with a straight three speed. I would really like to have over drive. I bought it in PA. last year and was suppose to have O.D.,but it just a 3 speed and it has bad bearings or gears in first and second. Then I find out after looking thru the parts manuals that I bought later, it came from the factory with a 6 cylinder. Sooo, rather then fix the 3 speed, I thought if I could find a 3 speed with O.D. I would go that route, but I haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price close. I found several at very good prices on the West coast, but they wouldn't ship them, pick up only and I live in FL.. So I guess I'll fix my 3 speed.

Gene Shambaugh
                  Gene Shambaugh

Comment

I think SASCO might have those 6 cyl OD transmissions NOS.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I think SASCO might have those 6 cyl OD transmissions NOS.
                      Dick Steinkamp
                      Indeed, Dick. The fellow here might want to check out the last entry on the first page of the April 2009 Co-Operator; the guy who accidentally bought an NOS transmission for a 1959 Lark Six and has no use for it. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

But Gene needs the V8 trans, not the six!

Gene,
                        The T86 OD is not rare in the Southeast!
                        If you must rebuild, find what you want and rebuild it if necessary. You'll love the overdrive and it will suit your topography perfectly.
                        We often see these at swap meets. I know, there aren't many Stude swap meets in your area.
                        Have you joined your local SDC Chapter? Members in your vicinity are probably sitting on what you want. Network, and let your wants be known.
                        If you're not a Chapter member here's a link to folks near you.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                        Brad Johnson,
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Gene, no transmission set up for a six will properly work for a V8. Brad is quite right. You really will love the T-86! Have a little more patience and keep looking. Remember though, you'll need the dash-lever and it's linkage to go with it. The B.W. overdrive is manually activated. Also, you'll need the wiring harness and kick-down switch. All of these parts and pieces are available. Some will require a bit of sleuthing about, still, you will be very glad for the effort.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                          X