New Yuma Studebird Pictures (3/21/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Yuma Studebird Pictures (3/21/10)

Restoration process started in 2003. We mistakenly had two different amateurs work on it until April, 2009. At that point we got it to Jim's Rod Shop here in Yuma and now the work is being done professionally and correctly. Car history is in my 2nd post on this thread. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE NEW PAINT JOB.

Restoration pictures from last summer at http://www.jimsrodshop.net/31.html

Tim-Custom '53 Commander Starlight in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Well thats cool! More pics!! Any more history?

Comment

I didn't know there was another Ute.

Alex Nelsen
      1954 Champion Coupe
      Lizella, GA
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Car History; Purchased by my wife's dad and uncle in about 1955 after being totalled by insurance company after headon collision. Currently has 18,000+ miles on original 232 Stude V-8. They did custom work in their body shop. Removed roof and replaced with '39 Chevy truck roof which is removable, shortened cab, lengthened trunk (to store roof) and replaced trunk lid with 30's Plymouth hood, added continental kit. In profile closely resembles a '57 T-Bird even though it is a much larger car, of course. Replaced '55 Chevy hood ornament (it is rechromed and for sale) with correct '53 Stude ornament. Chevy parking lights and '55 Fairlane grill. Not sure if hood is Stude. Original V-8 side emblems intact. Dash and instrument cluster being restored to original condition, steering wheel replaced with correct '53 steering wheel, as is the radio.

We have converted 6V to 12V, added AC (the one pictured to be replaced with much cleaner unit). PB and PS to be added. Upholstery was redone in 2004 and since damaged (by amateur resto guy) so our son-in-law will redo, add headliner, carpet trunk after current work is done. Ivory over red paint job to match current. Originally black paint, repainted green before current.

Will be used as daily driver when finished. I will post finished pictures. A one-of-a-kind Studebaker not for the purists but lots of sentimental value to us. My wife was born during original custom work process.

Tim in Yuma, AZ

Comment

Sweet! Looking forward to see those finished pics.

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Our car really cannot be compared to Dick's Ute. His is a world class custom. Ours, hopefully, will turn out to be a head turner that elicits lots of interest and questions. Good PR for SDC. If it turns out anywhere, and I mean anywhere, as nice as his did we will be tickled pink.

Tim-Custom '53 Commander Starlight aka The Studebird (under restoration) in Yuma, AZ

Comment

Just in case anyone else has as much trouble as I did finding the Stude in the pictures I posted the link. http://jimsrodshop.net/31.html Very interesting project.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Tim just sent me these... What an interesting car! [8D]

Comment

The new pictures Matthew posted for me were taken on 3/18 at restoration shop here in Yuma. The glass, V8 side emblems, continental kit, and parking lights to be installed in next few days. Dash, steering wheel, radio, PS, PB, AC soon thereafter as all parts are ready to go. Upholstery, headliner, carpet, and trunk will be done by my son-in-law in Phoenix to finish up a process that started in September, 2003.

If you have not read the car's pretty interesting history, it is at http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...TOPIC_ID=30556 or above.

Final interior/exterior pictures should be posted in June or July (knock on pot metal).

Tim in Yuma, AZ

Comment

Love the custom work. I see the fin design was changed from the original. I prefer the new fin, good call. I too am finning my 56 Power Hawk and have mocked up a similar fin design, that will be a little rounder on the top, and will not have as much definition as it blends into the top of the rear quarters. Also, plan to french in 56 Pachard Clipper tail lights. Nice Job guys! Hope mine turns out as nice.[]
                    Would love it if you could e-mail me the pictures directly.(I have a different computer to which I recieve my e-mails, making it easier to save these pictures,)
                    Thanks
                    Good Roads.
                    Brian

Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Man, that's awesome!!!!![8D][][^]

Chris Dresbach