Illinois Woman Killed in Stude Wreck 6/26/2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Woman Killed in Stude Wreck 6/26/2009

Illinois Valley features local news, sports, events, business news, local government news and more for La Salle County and Bureau County, Illinois. Part of the Shaw Local News Network.

(copy)
    Moline woman, 86, killed in crash
    06/28/2009, 11:21 pm

An 86-year-old Moline woman was killed Saturday in a vehicle accident on Interstate 39 near Oglesby.

At 3:30 p.m., a collision took place between a 2003 Volkswagen driven by Julia A. Hoffman, 49, of Rockford, and a 1962 Studebaker driven by David J. Kahn, 39, of Moline near milepost 52.

Julia M. Hogan, 86, of Moline, was riding in the Studebaker and was pronounced dead at the scene by the La Salle County Coroner's office.

The events of the crash are being reconstructed by the coroner's office and the Illinois State Police.

==============================================================

(copy)
    One killed south of Oglesby

Monday, June 29, 2009

By Jeff Dankert
    A Moline woman died in a two-vehicle accident on Interstate 39 on Friday afternoon.
    Julia M. Hogan, 86, of 2948 11th Ave., Moline was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident by the La Salle County Coroner’s Office. Her name had been withheld Friday night until kin could be notified.
    Hogan was the passenger in a 1962 Studebaker Turino driven by David J. Kahn, 39, of the same address. Kahn was transported St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, where he was in critical condition as of Saturday morning.
    The driver of the second car, Julia A. Hoffman, 49, of 1326 Cosper Ave., Rockford also was taken to St. Francis Medical Center, where she was in serious condition.
    The events of the accidents, which took place at 3:20 p.m. on I-39 at milepost 52, south of Oglesby, were still under investigation by Illinois State Police and the coroner’s office over the weekend.
    Police received the call at 3:20 p.m. The southbound lanes of I-39 were closed about 1½ hours, according to the report.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

That is very depressing on several levels. I wonder if Mr. Kahn was an SDC member?

Doug

1950 Champion 9G F1

Comment

His name is in the roster

[IMG]
      Home of the Fried Green Tomato
      "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
      1964 Daytona HT
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

This is very very sad indeed. Illinois is one of those states with 65mph speed limits for cars and 55mph for trucks. When my Brother and I had our trucking business, he complained about the speed limits. I tried to adhere to the speed limits but had several close calls due to people running up from behind and not anticipating the speed disparity and resulting "closing rate." Invariably, you would see a cell phone up to their ear as they swerved by. I recall a trip to Rockford where the interstate was closed for a while due to a fatality from a car rear-ending a truck at high speed. It is too early to speculate in this case, but it is a sad occasion regardless.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Cell phones cause a lot of close calls and accidents, too. I have trucker friends who use them while driving and they KNOW the hazards. I have trucker friends so used to sitting in the outside lane that they seem content just to see the rear of the truck in front of them and rely on reflex to save them in a panic stop. Then they get bored and play telephone. I commit some traffic sins, too. I drive quickly, but I always have a view way down the highway and I know what's ahead. I know what's behind me because I likely just passed it. I know my vehicle and keep it safe. I know the road ahead is more important than the person on the other end of the phone. I'm never bored behind the wheel. And I never stay beside another vehicle. Pass it and be done with it. Like boats, crap happens when you're close to shore or other boats. Take the road less traveled and keep away from the other drivers. I wish our SDC member a quick recovery.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

'Sure would like to know what happened. I've driven that stretch of 39 many times and it is as wide-open, clear, and safe as you can imagine. Highly unusual to have a wreck under those road conditons, unless it was raining or something. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have some friends who were waiting to make a left into their street off of HWY 299 a few weeks ago. A woman with a pickup, who wasn't paying attention, rear-ended them at sixty miles an hour. I saw the car and didn't recognize it. George and I guessed that it was a Subaru or something. They were driving a Ford Tarus. The Ford was pushed into the opposing lane and slammed into a new Lincoln. Both cars were destroyed. The Lincoln's right front wheel, torn off, on one side of the road and the left on the opposite side. Thankfully, all the occupants survived and the safety systems did their jobs. The Lincoln's occupants were a married couple, octogenarians, and largely unharmed.

It's sad, really, that we have to race around at such a frenetic pace. Not only does one miss the scenery, which we have a lot of here in Trinity, but we endanger ourselves and everyone else on the road.

My heart goes out to Mr. Kahn and the family of Julia Hogan.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Having just come back from California, I have to agree that the 65/55 speed limit disparity for cars/trucks is a positive safety HAZARD. If the outside lane is occupied by trucks all doing the legal 55 (haha), then the cars that are permitted to do THEIR legal 65 are basically constrained to the use of one lane. So you have managed to effectively turn a 4 lane highway into a 2 lane one.

Alberta has long since eliminated their 2-tier speed limit, and traffic flow has improved with no increase in collisions.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I completely agree, and I live in California. Not because I'm one of the idiots whom drive the higher limit, but because I actually drive the lower limit. I have a jeep and I commute on Purpose in the truck lane following the trucks as my jeep gets about 5mpg better at 55 than it does at 65. My thing is the people whom are in the other three lane are always going way over 65, my guess 70-80 mph, every morning.
                  The other day my wife had to go pick up her paycheck, we drove across town on I50 then merged onto business 80, which 90% of the time is a traffic jam. Out of no where this guy in an acura rockets around me, which I'm looking ahead and seing traffic at a complete stop not more than 200 yards away. As this guy pulls the nascar slingshot move off my rear bumper into the next lane he quickly finds him self about two car lengths from a vehicle that was nailing his brakes. This guy jams his breaks attempts to swerve into my lane then realizes I'm right next to him, goes the other way nearly takes out a suburban and lucky for him the acura has good brakes. He stopped a good 3" from the back of a pickup. The look on the guys face in the acura was priceless! If he hadn't just crapped him self at that moment I'd be very suprised.

Comment

www.esterdahlmortuary.com.

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Comment

That is truly sad, it sounds like they were indeed a Studebaker family.
                      My condolences to the family of Julia and David.

This kind of accident with serious injuries and a fatality to all three people involved, sounds to me like a head-on type of crash or similar.
                      Of course I don't know if that is possible, on that very safe section of Interstate 39 that Bob Palma mentioned or not.

Reporters! You would think if they were going to call the Gran Turismo Hawk a Torino, they would at least get that right! [xx(]

StudeRich
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The lady and her grandson are listed for one SDC membership. I find this strange. No disrespect intended. I feel bad about one lost life and the other in serious condition, not to mention the '62 Hawk that is probably totaled, unless they were thrown out through the windows or doors. A better description of how the accident happened and pictures would sure help to clear up the questions. I wonder if they were on their way to or from a car show. It doesn't seem as likely that they were out for a pleasant drive on an Interstate.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very sorry to see anyone killed or in an accident. Without starting a rant about how stupid people are on our highways-I will say that there is an exit at the 52 mile post,and I would suspect a 'merging'type of accident.
                          I live just north of the 54 exit,about a quarter mile from the interstate.

Oglesby,Il.
                          " He's not happy unless there's some piece of $#%& in the driveway to work on"
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

In British Columbia there are signs posted at regular intervals along the highway which state that the right hand or outside lane is for ALL traffic and the left lane is for passing ONLY. (Very)loosely interpreted that means that people in the right hand lane must do the speed limit of 100 kph while people in the left lane can do whatever - if they can get away with it. Considering that, there are surprisingly few accidents.

Terry Godkin

Comment

David restored his late grandfathers GT Hawk several years ago. Did a great job.
                              I am very sorry to hear about this acident. I knew both parties.

Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO
                              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                              Gary Sanders
                              Nixa, MO

Comment

Working...
                              X