Rear Leaf Spring Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Leaf Spring Bushings

Has anyone tried mounting the rear bushing outside of the frame using a fabricated bracket? Why not just cut a steel pipe of the correct dimension in half, weld some ears on each half and add a back up piece of flat stock bent to roughly fit over the half pipe with ears and bolt it to the frame in the original spot. The two halves would 'sandwich' the bushing as the mounting bolts are drawn snug. Some adjustment to the shackle length would have to be made.

quote:Has anyone tried mounting the rear bushing outside of the frame using a fabricated bracket?
    Not that I've ever seen.

Are we to assume all this cogitation is sublimated rage resulting from a session with the difficult-to-remove-and-replace upper rear spring shackle bushing? A few Studes get new bushings there once in a lifetime, twice if fortunate. The kit is gonna be a tough sell.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

Did that to a 53K. When drag racing use a Chrysler spring, bush it down to the Stude size in the front. In the rear the Chrys. spring is longer than the Stude and you have to make a bracket that bolts or welds to the frame for the rear shackles.

Comment

It may be true that the average Stude only needs new rear bushings once, but if you invented a kit to replace them you'd make a mint. The bushings on my avanti defeated a mallet, two sledgehammers and a torch before finally succumbing to a reciprocating saw. It took two days. I would have happily paid for an effective bushing-removal tool.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. No, I haven't invented anything. Just wanted to get a reality check or reasons not to try it. Scrap metal is real cheap, my neighbor is retired and has a welder, band saw and lots of time on his hands. Will report back after I try it unless someone chimes in with a safety issue.

Comment

Working...
          X