56J Carburetor hiccup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56J Carburetor hiccup

Can anyone tell me what might cause the 4-barrel carburetor to spill gas all over the place? I haven't run the car for 2 years. After replacing a shorted battery and some baked wiring, I was ready to go.

I primed the carb with some gas, and after a few tries the engine finally caught, started and roared, and fuel spilled out of the carb in great quantities.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Never ran into this before.[B)]

Joe H.

My quick response to your situation as described would be that the float is stuck in the down position allowing the pump to flood the carb bowl. Another problem could be a pin hole in the float allowing it to fill with gas and the result would be the same. After sitting for so long the float may be stuck with the needle valve in the open position.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
    SDC member since 1975
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks a lot, John. I'll look into it right away this week and post my findings.

Joe Hevesy.

quote:Originally posted by jclary

My quick response to your situation as described would be that the float is stuck in the down position allowing the pump to flood the carb bowl. Another problem could be a pin hole in the float allowing it to fill with gas and the result would be the same. After sitting for so long the float may be stuck with the needle valve in the open position.

John Clary
      Greer, SC

Life... is what happens as you are making plans.
      SDC member since 1975

Comment

The carb could have rubbish in one of the needle valves and not allowing it to seal properly causing your flooding problem. Since the engine hasn't been run in two years a piece of dried sediment in the fuel system could have broken loose and lodged in a needle and seat. Bud

Comment

Before you tear into anything try rapping the carb with a screwdriver handle or the like. The float may come loose and you're good to go. If that doesn't work, open it up and see.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks again, guys. Someone else mentioned the carb rapping so I'll give it a try. But if that cures it, would it still be a good idea to clean the whole carb at some point, or would that be overkill?

Joe Hevesy

Comment

Working...
            X