Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New puppies in the fleet.

First, the black Avanti I bought from Bob Peterson:

Still sporting a coat of dust it picked up when I drove through a construction zone in Kickinghorse Pass on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Second, here is Pogo, new addition to the household:

Pogo came home with me just last night, and she's still kind of lonely for her mama and her littermates. She's 10 weeks old, and her mama is a Basset hound, and papa is a border collie cross. Pogo looks a lot like a Beagle, but I think she may grow a little bigger than your typical Beagle.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

The new dog is very cute.
    The old dog needs a bath and has cataracts.

Comment

A Basset-Border Collie-mix mix should be interesting.

I've had Bassets for almost 20 years...very mellow.
      Quite a difference from the reputation of Border Collies: high energy, always on the go.
      Should be a fun dog.

Nice car. What options are on it?

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Options? AM radio, and heater. Or was the heater standard equipment? It was an R2 car with Powershift. Powershift is still there, but the R2 has been replaced by a 259. I think, if the engine proves to be as sound as it appears, that I will hang a Paxton on it.

No power steering, no power windows. Pretty plain-Jane Avanti.

Comment

A hound that will round up the cows !

[IMG]
          Home of the Fried Green Tomato
          "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
          1964 Daytona HT
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I love your new friend Pogo. Bassets are my dog of choice not purebreds though. I just love the Bassadors. I have had Basset and Llasa Alpso and Basset & Pit Bull too. Great loyal Dogs.

Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Commander Regal Coupe
            Fresno,Ca
            Mabel 1949 Champion
            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
            Gus 1958 Transtar
            The Prez 1955 President State
            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
            Fresno,Ca

Comment

Thats a cute dog! I myself am a dog lover. I have learned from experiece, however, that dog hair is VERY hard to vaccum out of a Studebaker's carpet and upholstry! (but give it a ride every once in awhile anyway...they love it!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

Lots of room for Pogo to run AND, lots of Studes for him to keep corralled.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                Vancouver Island Chapter
                http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Gordr, from the looks of your place your are a few miles out , but I will bet you get your TW before I do, you should have come down sooner and taken home a few more of the last cheap ones before I closed the yard...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Gord, how come that old bus is parked way back in the corner? I thought you were working hard on that thing a few months back. It ought to be a ppl-hauler by now, huh?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

Gord, how come that old bus is parked way back in the corner? I thought you were working hard on that thing a few months back. It ought to be a ppl-hauler by now, huh?

Bob- What you're seeing there is the " Parts " Bus- the other one is up close to the garage. You have to visit Gord's to truly understand the scope of his collection! Evan

Evan Davis
                      Prairie Bulletin
                      Saskatchewan Chapter
                      Prince Albert, Sk
                      Evan Davis
                      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

whew! I feel better. Now I can sleep tonight.

Comment

Good looking collection, but don't forget to spray weedkiller under those cars. The acids in the grass will eat those cars in no time.

sals54
                          sals54

Comment

Update for June 27:

I decided to tear into the passenger door today, and fix the window regulator. Stuff like that has to be done for me to get an out-of-province inspection anyway. Took the interior door panel off; it was mostly held on by the door and window cranks, and badly warped to boot.

The window was off the regulator pins, and both nylon rollers were busted. I took all the guts out of the door, and blasted the crud out of it with compressed air and a vacuum cleaner. I lubed up the regulator, and reinstalled that. Discovered that the pinch channel in which the glass sits was all but totally rusted away. I think the glass remained in there mainly by force of habit. I pried the rusty channel off the glass (didn't take much effort), and then hacksawed the rusty channel between the spot welds that held it to the roller track support, and twisted each piece off individually. That went very easily. I robbed the pinch channel off a 2-door Lark window, and welded that to the roller track support. The replacement was only 25" long compared to the original's 29", so I cut it in the middle, and left a 4" gap, but the glass is well-supported at both ends. Bumped it back on the glass with a rubber mallet, and it fit nice and secure.

Got the window back on the regulator, with some rollers robbed off a Lark window regulator. Lubed up the vent window pivot, and set the tension on it, then reinstalled the vent window assembly, which of course is also the front track for the main glass. Then I installed the rear guide track. Window cranks up and down real slick, now, but I noticed the inner door skin was starting to crack around the area where the fixed pivot mounts (just aft of the interior door handle). There was evidence of an old repair there, mainly a thick glob of hardened resin. I ground that area out with my Dremel tool, then made up a Z-shaped piece of steel strip, with a hole drilled so it could be held under the front screw of the pivot base. This bridged the crack, and I then used a pop rivet to secure the other end of the strip to sound fiberglass beyond the crack. Then I mixed up a glob of fiberglass-reinforced filler compound, and slathered that over the area I'd ground, and more or less embedded the steel "splint" within it. That has eliminated motion on the crack, which before was noticeable when cranking the glass to the very top. Now all that happens is that the top of the large rectangular opening bellies inward about a quarter inch when the window is cranked up. I plan to do something about that before buttoning it up; probably another steel splint. I remember having to do much the same with my previous Avanti. I'd say the weakness in that area is a design flaw.

Next, I tore the interior door panel apart, because it was so badly warped that it could not be properly fitted to the door. Got the stainless trim, the arm rest, and the fabric all separated from the Grade A, No. 1 cardboard making up the panels. I have several half-sheets of nice thin mahogany-faced plywood that are dead flat, even after being stored for years in the barn, so I'm going to use that. I've taken the cardboard, and soaked it down with the garden hose, and will repeat until it softens a bit, and then press them flat with an iron. Then I ought to be able to accurately transfer the outlines and hole locations of the original panels to the plywood, which is no more than .020 thicker than the original cardboard.

Since I had torn the fabric slightly at the top front of the interior door panel while stripping it from the cardboard, I figured I would take down the already-sagging headliner, and use some of that material for a patch. So I got to work stripping that. The "roll bar cover" in this car car was just a strip of cardboard covered with foam-backed fabric, and attached to the roll bar with drywall screws (!) and finishing washers. Took that down, and the side bolsters for the headliner, which appear to be the original cardboard, similarly covered. Found several mud-dauber nests while doing this, thankfully unoccupied. I fou

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

Update for June 27:

I decided to tear into the passenger door today...
                              I need a nap after just READING that! [:0] [|)]

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X