58 commander 2 door value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 commander 2 door value

Being new to this forum, does anyone have accurate knowledge of the value of these vintage cars? Ther is a 58 commander 2 door hardtop available locally that the owner wants a resonable offer on. I have not seen the car yet but it is supposedly in nice shape, but needing some work. If anyone out there is familiar with values, I can elaborate more on it's condition. Thanks - B.V.

There is such a wide range on price. Are you able to post pics. Maybe one of each side of the car, one of the interior and one of the engine compartment and inside the truck. Then we would be better able to accurately help you out.

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

There was a lising for a Prez HT recently here: http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1212823831.html

You can see it doesn't look bad from the outside. And at $1600, not a bad price. AND it's only 150 miles from my house. However, today the owner sent INTERIOR pix.

I know, I know, only needs a complete $3000 interior and a few drops of paint. I passed.

John

Comment

There were 3846 hardtop {sedans - not Hawks} built for 1958. I don't have the breakout by series handy.

I would need more to go on to give you a guesstimate of value/price.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the info all of you. I got over to look at it, took some pic's,and still have a lot of doubts of it's value. I don't have the know-how to get bthe pic's here,but wife say's I can E-ail them to anyone that wants them. The car is all there(being prepped for quick paint job) but to me it needs a lot of work. It was way overstated on it's condition. Rockers are being patched, but should be replaced. Trim/chrome is there, but needs straightening/replating. Interior is complete, but needs lots of attention. Frame/chassis appears ok, but rust is apparent on all pieces. I felt this is a $500-$700 car. I would be surprised if it was that rare as to be worth what the owner feels it is, being in the thousands of $. I wish I could post the pic's, but if anyone is interested, I will get them to you via E-mail. Thanks again for all your interest.- B.V.

Comment

Bill,
            it's a pretty rare car alright. But low production numbers aren't what determines value - demand drives value. There were a total of 1,171 President hardtops produced. A small number by most calculations, but unless there's considerably more demand for THIS model than there are surviving cars, their value isn't all that high.

Experience is shown that the old car value guides don't reflect real world proof. Of course, you have to understand that those "value guides" are printed to sell copies - not as some verifiable, irrefutable point of reference. Many folks that have a car such as this one in question will project the price of a top notch example onto their rusty hulk - as if with a few snaps of one's fingers, the hulk could be made like new again. There's no hard, fast figures for these cars. Ebay is where the truth is told. Whatever someone is willing to PAY for a given example (an INFORMED someone) is what a car's worth.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1963 Cruiser
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I sold this very nice 58 Commander HT for 14K, but it was a exceptional car.

JDP/Maryland
              JDP Maryland

Comment

And a whole different economy too![:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1963 Cruiser
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am asked a lot "what is your car worth?" My reply is "what someone will give me for it." If your buying an older car, it is what you are willing to pay, not necessarily what some book says.

Comment

Working...
                  X