Removing "c body" cowl mldgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing "c body" cowl mldgs

I need advice on removing and installing the cowl mldgs(between the wipers) on (1953-1961 "C body" coupe)without scratching up paint.I had a set rechromed(last remaining "bad" chrome on car)The set coming off(pitted)will be for sale.
    Thanks,
    Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
    (formerly chevpartsman)
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Ken,
    Use masking tape to surround the working area, at least a couple of inches wide. I hope you like working under the dash[xx(] because that's where you'll be. Seriously, it is as far as your arm is long to reach the nuts, (3/8's inch IIRC) I think there's only 4 or mabe 5. They also have a foam sealing washer under the nut to seal around the hole. You may get lucky and find some of the new style nuts that have a sealer made into them. That's all there is to it.
    Hope this helps What a beautiful car!!!

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK
      You may get lucky and find some of the new style nuts that have a sealer made into them. That's all there is to it.
      Hope this helps What a beautiful car!!!
      What Dan said. It would also help to have a helper outside the car while you're standing on your head under the dash. Also, the holes that the studs fit into are rather large so you can align the pieces. I doubt if the new style nuts would seal well enough. Seal them up good, however you do it though. It's one of the most common entry points of water to the cabin.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks fellas !........I have the old ones off and cleaned up the area in preparation to install new ones.....Ran out of day.....In process now wipers don't work. Don't see anything obvious...wires loose,etc.What have I likely done ?

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
        (formerly chevpartsman)

Ken Byrd
        Lewisville,NC

Comment

You must've interfered with the wiring somehow. Should be an easy fix.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ken,
            Git your trusty ole test light out and start at the wiper switch unless the motor runs and nuthin' moves. Then start lookin' at the mechanicals under the dash just where you was at for the chrome removal. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

I removed mine with the dash in. They will be installed with the dash out; what a pain to get to.

In the absence of the original foam washers I'll use dum-dum.

I suspect you've probably pulled a bullet out of the wiper switch. PITA. Simple fix for the triple-jointed folks.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Go Go Gadget Arm!

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Ken,
                  Git your trusty ole test light out and start at the wiper switch unless the motor runs and nuthin' moves. Then start lookin' at the mechanicals under the dash just where you was at for the chrome removal. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

Dan,
                  With "my trusty test light" I found I had power to the wiper motor.Somehow lost ground. Made a new ground wire...Wipers OK now !..Ready to start installing cowl mldgs.
                  Thanks,
                  Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                  (formerly chevpartsman)

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I removed mine with the dash in. They will be installed with the dash out; what a pain to get to.

In the absence of the original foam washers I'll use dum-dum.

I suspect you've probably pulled a bullet out of the wiper switch. PITA. Simple fix for the triple-jointed folks.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    33 Rockne 10
                    51 commander Starlight
                    53 Commander Starlight

Don't yet know what happened on the wipers........Lost ground somehow..Made new ground wire to cure that problem.....You are right I finally got cowl mldgs on......pain in the a** !
                    Ken

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                    (formerly chevpartsman)

Ken Byrd
                    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Before I dive under the dash, anyone know how the stainless '55 C-body moldings attach? Are they nuts and studs like the potmetal ones or something different?

nate

...tracking down leaks, one drip at a time.

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Conjecture on my part, Nate; I would suspect molding clips with studs. If the parts catalog reveals naught...well, either way, prepare thyself for contortion.[V] And expect they will be easier to remove than install unless you pull the dash.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                        X