July TW and BP's article on David Blackmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July TW and BP's article on David Blackmer

Got my TW yesterday, earlier than usual, and really enjoyed this issue. Bob Palma's article on David Blackmer was very interesting with excellent photos, and was put together for the page (excuse the lack of proper terminology!) attractively by Art/Ann. Great job! Bob, what a stroke of luck to be sitting near the Blackmers at dinner at the SNM and cousin George recognizing the name from production orders he'd seen earlier!

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    '64 Daytona Hardtop
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Thanks, Bill; 'glad you enjoyed it.

You do wonder how long we would have been at the table with the Blackmers before conversation revealed David's identity, had not George recognized the name...maybe 10 minutes?

'Twas an enjoyable dinner, for sure. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just got my TW yesterday. I sat down at the breakfast table thismorning with my PB&J and started to thumb throught the thing. I saw Bob's article and decided "what the hey, I will read this one first" (usually I read the presidents message and the mail first before going into any of the articles) I was very well done! Very informative. I enjoyed it tremendously!

I was totally surprised to see my question included...as I had spaced off that I had asked it!(I of course remembered it as soon as I saw it, and am glad that his opinion was what it was!) But I wanted to thank you, Bob for including it in your interview. It made my day!

1963 Lark, 259 V8, two-tone paint, Twin Traction. Driven often, always noticed!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

Got my TW yesterday, earlier than usual, and really enjoyed this issue. Bob Palma's article on David Blackmer was very interesting with excellent photos, and was put together for the page (excuse the lack of proper terminology!) attractively by Art/Ann. Great job! Bob, what a stroke of luck to be sitting near the Blackmers at dinner at the SNM and cousin George recognizing the name from production orders he'd seen earlier!
        Darn! You beat me to it[:I]. I was going to comment on how great the article is. So, what Bill says. And, I found the magazine test cars build sheets most interesting. I have all those tests so now I'm going to have to search my archives and refresh my mind as to what they said about the cars.
        In addition to Bob's excellent writeup, be sure to read Lark Parker's piece too. Ready-to-wear dentures??
        One other thing I was going to mention was the article in Custom and Modified Studebakers. The writeup failed to mention that Ron and Janie Butts live in Martinsburg, WV and it didn't mention their granddaughter, Emily, who is in the picture. These two cars are too spectacular to see only in black and white. Ron is the absolute craftsman. While the '31 Dictator was perfect in my eyes when he bought it, it didn't satisfy him and he has completely gone through the car at least a couple times and tweaked it to where in a rod show there is absolutely nothing that could lose points.
        I posted color pix of his cars quite some time back. See this for the '59 Lark:

And this for the '31 Dictator: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...erms=Ron,Butts

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia. '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Daytona convertible, '53 Commander Starliner, Museum R-4 engine, '62 Gravely Model L, '72 Gravely Model 430

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Here we go again not even done with June and people already have July , by the time I get mine they will be reading August, maybe if some could copy and print it here on the forum I could be able to read it also, it is a sore subject with me..Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Great job on the Blackmer article, Bob. It brings to light a previously unknown part of Studebaker history and helps us connect a few more dots. Had I not spotted David's name tag while we were still milling around before the banquet, we probably would not have sat at the same table and none of this likely would have happened. The fact that our paths crossed was sheer chance, and it sure turned out well.

Thanks again for putting the effort into doing this, Bob.

George

george krem
            george krem

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tutone63

I was totally surprised to see my question included...as I had spaced off that I had asked it!(I of course remembered it as soon as I saw it, and am glad that his opinion was what it was!) But I wanted to thank you, Bob for including it in your interview. It made my day!
              Hey, it was a good question, Nathan. Appropriate and thought-provoking. Thanks for asking it. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was extremely impressed with the Blackmer interview and writing and I have passed that on to Bob.

It was so impressive, in fact, it looks to me as though Bob could fill in for Barbara Walters on the View when she retires. What say you Bob?[)]

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
                sigpic
                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Don't worry Bob, I paid for the airmail service and only got June a couple of days ago. I'm also getting tired of the comments when I don't have the mag.

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John C'mon move over here and learn how to drive on the RIGHT side of the road and get your T/W before any body makes any comments. I think you would be an asset to our continent.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Thanks Dick, I once considered that when I had an american fiancee, but I prefer living in a country with a national health system. We don't have the risk from Gun loonies either as our govt banned many more dangerous weapons. But hey, there is no other country in which I feel so at home.

John Clements
                      Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                      Lockleys South Australia
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Dick Quinn just pointed out a spelling error in the interview of which I was not aware: The name Barbara Niel[u]son</u> should be Barbara Niel[u]and</u> at the bottom of Page 11.

I was not aware of her last name and Mr. Blackmer had apparently forgotten it, so consider it corrected here.

Dick attached this related link, in case anyone is interested:

Thanks, Dick. BP

(Edited to add the link.)

Comment

I took my copy over to Vince Granatelli. He remembers David. I'm sure he will pass the copy on to Andy.
                          Denny L

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Green53

I took my copy over to Vince Granatelli. He remembers David. I'm sure he will pass the copy on to Andy.
                            Denny L
                            Oh crap. Would you have Vince tell Andy not to sue me for using his name in my story. I had him confused with someone else. Fictional.

If I had meant him I would have referred to him as Mr. Andrew Granatelli

Tell him I don't have any money, my wife is a big Granatelli fan, and I used to drink STP when he had an interest in the company.

Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.
                            sigpic
                            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Sorry John but it is a subject that does get me going, and I will not start an argument with you over it either, but I will buy you a beer when you come over to one of the nationals or when ever, if that doesn't happen I will have Ian Mackellar buy one over there the next time he sees you, I did get my July before the end of June so things are looking up, and Bob that is one super article and one can always learn something new from turning wheels, thanks for doing it...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X