Wooden Rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden Rotisserie

I finished the top side installation of the floors in my coupe. To weld the under side I built another wooded rotisserie like the one I made a few years ago for the Speedster. Works for me.
    Bill

http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Do you have any pics on how it connect to the firewall and in the trunk. How much weight can that hold?

57 & 58 Packards and Larks

Comment

Hi Bill- Looks like you are on your way with your project! I like the rotisserie! If it helps you get results like the Speedster, I can't wait to see the results!
      Best Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1958 Cushman Eagle
      -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

58PW

Nothing to do with a wooden Rotisserie but this is how I mounted my 54K to my rotisserie.

Front through the body mounts

Second shot of the front mount on the firewall

Mount for the rear

Steady as a rock and spun easily.

FYI

Bob

Comment

When I built my rotisserie to do the Biz coupe, I simply took some channel and angle iron I had layin' around and picked up on the front body mounts as well as a couple of holes on the seam where the cowl meets the firewall. Then in the trunk, I used the trunk latch catch attachment point as well as a couple of the decklid hinge attach points. Worked out well - ask Allen.

Had balloon casters on it and we simply pushed it and body across the lawn and up into his trailer.[^]
          Since my rig was height-adjustable, I was concerned about flexing that might occur if I didn't have the rotation points in alignment. Since I had some NOS big truck U-joint assemblies here, I incorporated one into one end. Then I could raise or lower either end and not worry about pulling structure out of whack.[:I]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

How fast can you spin that sucker?

Comment

With my rotisserie, I never pushed the envelope as to spin speed. I was worried about making the roof even higher and the floorboards bowl shaped![:0][xx(]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1963 Cruiser
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Lets see who can spin their car the fastest; post the video on youtube.

Comment

DANG! I KNOW I would win! Allen, can you spin mine so's I can enter by proxy???[]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1963 Cruiser
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

Comment

Here is what I did.

We bolted the car to the cieling via the lift. When we went to do some work we simply lowered the car and the frame came off. This was compact and reliable, though there was little access to the body.

Alex Nelsen
                    1954 Champion Coupe
                    Lizella, GA
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

I would not do this without the rear quarters attached because without it the body flexes behind the rear seat. The doors are welded shut.

In the trunk, there is a 2x4 screwed to the floor of the trunk using the three existing holes between the body mounts. Its backed up with a 1 1/2 angle iron. 3/4 inch plywood is screwed to the 2x4. I put two holes in the channel for the trunk rubber to attach one more 2x4 to the inside of the trunk to steady the trunk pivot. I added three holes in the front of the trunk by the seat and a 2/4 on the top and under the trunk floor holds the plywood in the front of the trunk. (I'll use these three holes to mount a chain to hold the body when I put it back on the frame after painting.) A one inch pipe goes the length of the trunk and sticks out the back for the rear pivot.

On the firewall, there is a 2x6 deck screwed to the firewall everywhere there is a hole. There is a rout in the 2x6 for some bump in the firewall so it screws down flat. Holes were made on the inside of the front body mounts to screw a two by four to the inside on each side. Plywood on these is screwed to the 2x6. The plywood closest to the firewall has a one inch floor flange on it and a short piece of pipe goes through the plywood sandwich and is held together at the front with a 1 1/4 muffler clamp. It is the sandwich in the front that keeps the car from moving front and back and keeps the front rigid on the firewall. (Rev 3 three will have this pipe more parallel to the axis of rotation.)

A video of the turning is at the link below.

Be careful.
                      Bill
                      http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X