Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many motor and trans mounts on a '63 Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many motor and trans mounts on a '63 Avanti?

I have a '63 R2 with auto trans. When you punch the car it downshifts fine, but when it changes back from 1st or 2nd there is a noticeable jolt. I have a '99 Trans Am that did the same thing and it needed trans mounts replaced. So I need to know how many motor and trans mounts (and their locations) on an Avanti. Thanks!
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

One on each front corner, and two under the tranny on the cross member. If they are original you can pretty well bet they need replaced.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

I have a '63 R2 with auto trans. When you punch the car it downshifts fine, but when it changes back from 1st or 2nd there is a noticeable jolt. I have a '99 Trans Am that did the same thing and it needed trans mounts replaced. So I need to know how many motor and trans mounts (and their locations) on an Avanti. Thanks!
      Could be stiffer shifting with modern ATF, or the throttle pressure needs adjusting.

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, I've got a trans filter kit and gasket on hand, but haven't changed the fluid yet. The car's been in the paint shop over two weeks. Do you recall looking at the transmission mounts when you were under the car taking pictures? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "adjusting throttle pressure" either??

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Could be stiffer shifting with modern ATF, or the throttle pressure needs adjusting.

JDP/Maryland
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Thank you! That's the info I was looking for.

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

One on each front corner, and two under the tranny on the cross member. If they are original you can pretty well bet they need replaced.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
          '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
          (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Ed, you can do yourself a huge favor by obtaining a cd that covers all the information & parts listings for your car. I picked up one from Ed Reynolds (Studebaker International) for only $20.00. It contains everything you could probably ask with all the explanations & directions as Studebaker published for their dealers, including how to adjust for the throttle pressure. Then you can apply things like "have the mounts broken or sagged" & picture how things like this could change adjustments. Does your car have the spacer under the left rear mount? Lots of good information contained there, & lots of support here.

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I've bought stuff from these folks before and need to order that cd.

quote:Originally posted by Warren Webb

Ed, you can do yourself a huge favor by obtaining a cd that covers all the information & parts listings for your car. I picked up one from Ed Reynolds (Studebaker International) for only $20.00. It contains everything you could probably ask with all the explanations & directions as Studebaker published for their dealers, including how to adjust for the throttle pressure. Then you can apply things like "have the mounts broken or sagged" & picture how things like this could change adjustments. Does your car have the spacer under the left rear mount? Lots of good information contained there, & lots of support here.

60 Lark convertible
              61 Champ
              62 Daytona convertible
              63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2)
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

Ok, try and follow me here.....much of what say will have to result in empirical testing.

Jack up the car, place good jack stands underneath. Find the rod that goes from the gas pedal to the linkage which ends up at the engine. Anyway on the linkage below the engine will be a movable rod...moving it either shortens or lengthens the rod. This is the way you adjust the throttle pressure/adjusting point. the only pain in the arz is that you have to drop the car test drive it and determine if the shift points are good, if not you have to repeat the process as many times as it takes to get it correct. I finally got tired of doing this and put in a manual trans! :-)

JDP, I've got a trans filter kit and gasket on hand, but haven't changed the fluid yet. The car's been in the paint shop over two weeks. Do you recall looking at the transmission mounts when you were under the car taking pictures? I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "adjusting throttle pressure" either??

quote:Originally posted by JDP

JDP/Maryland

Comment

Working...
                X