Who is participating at the Cedar Rapids drags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is participating at the Cedar Rapids drags

Just a heads up that the unofficial Studebaker drags will be held on Wednesday evening of the International Meet. It is a quarter mile track, track will open at 4pm, racing to start at 5pm. Track is located about an hours drive from the meet. For further info see the announcement by the Meet Chair Alan Meeker on the Cedar Rapids Meet Forum. How many here are ready to participate?

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

If I'm not racing, can I still park in the same area with the Stude group?

Comment

Usually not a problem Dave,but not all tracks go by the same rules. Some require purchase of a pit pass and signing of a release form. Maybe put something on the Cedar Rapids Meet Forum "drags" thread and someone from the Meet will see the question. I am in no position myself to find out from Al Meeker as I am loading to head to a Zone Meet. Or e-mail Al through his profile, his screen name is "52trucks"
      Edited for content
      quote:Originally posted by barnlark

If I'm not racing, can I still park in the same area with the Stude group?
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Darn ...Frank thats the same time as the truckers dinner ...too bad , that was so much fun in Omaha , think that was the highlite of my trip that year
        Guess we just can't get to everything

[IMG]
        Home of the Fried Green Tomato
        "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
        1964 Daytona HT
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I won't be there, but I HIGHLY recommend this "unofficial" event. Hopefully as a participant, but being just a spectator is still plenty of fun.

It's one of the few chances you get to see what your Stude will actually turn in the quarter mile. It will give you bragging rights for years [^]. It is a real adrenalin rush no matter if you are turning 13's or 19's. You can "grudge race" your best buddy (or worst enemy).

If you think that participating in a parade every now and then or tooling around town on Sunday afternoon gets you "Driver" status, think what a few passes down the strip gets you [:0].

I guarantee you that you will tell more stories about your afternoon at the strip than any other part of your experience at the meet.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Do you think they will let me run my motor home?

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I'll be there with my 64 Daytona, bad clutch and all, turning in some solid 18s.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank
                Usually not a problem Dave, but not all tracks go by the same rules. Some require purchase of a pit pass and signing of a release form.

Not a problem paying and/or signing, Frank, thanks. I'm used to that with my friend's top fuel rail team. I'd rather be with my car there, if there's room out of the way, than leave it in the lot unattended. My automatic with 3.07s aren't going to get it anywhere else. You're right, some tracks are easy going, some are sticklers. Sounds fun, either way. My money's on that R2 Hawk from Canada..[8D]

Comment

Bob..i am sure the will let you if you wish ha ha

clayton-rip chicken hawk!

Comment

Frank,looks like I will be there with the Challenger.It will be on it's trial run,see if it will make it or break it.
                    steve doerschlag
                    36 Dictator cpe
                    36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
                    37 Coupe express R-2
                    50 Champion convert
                    54 champion cpe
                    59 3/4 p/up 4wd
                    63 Custom R-2
                    63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
                    63 Avanti R-2
                    63 Avant1 R-2
                    64 Commander R-1
                    64 Challenger R-3
                    58 Packard hawk
                    64 Champ
                    2-63 Wagonaire's
                    62 E40 Transtar
                    55 3/4 T pickup
                    64 Daytona
                    Brand X :
                    70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

Frank I'll race you but I need you to chip in for the shipping to get it over there!

1958 Golden Hawk
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 Avanti R2
                      1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                      1952 Starlight
                      1958 Golden Hawk
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                      1963 Avanti R2
                      sigpic

Comment

quote:barnlark Posted - 06/19/2009 : 2:53:18 PM Originally posted by 41 Frank
                        Usually not a problem Dave, but not all tracks go by the same rules. Some require purchase of a pit pass and signing of a release form.

Not a problem paying and/or signing, Frank, thanks. I'm used to that with my friend's top fuel rail team. I'd rather be with my car there, if there's room out of the way, than leave it in the lot unattended. My automatic with 3.07s aren't going to get it anywhere else. You're right, some tracks are easy going, some are sticklers. Sounds fun, either way. My money's on that R2 Hawk from Canada..

Looks like my plans for the summer holidays have totally taken a change. I doubt I will be even be making it to Cedar Rapids So no drags for me this time around. I probably will not even be able to make it Stanton for the PSMCDR in September.

Three weeks ago sold my house to my ex and have to be totally out of the residence by July 31, including my all my woodworking tools, car parts,my old engine and transmission, engine lifts, engine dolly, hand tools, etc, not to mention my household stuff.

I bought another house last week and will be taking possession of the house on June 25. I need to put in a kitchen, bathroom and build a shop in the back yard. Shop construction starts as soon as the permit is approved. I've submitted the permit application to build a 24' X 32' shop to the township and should have the permit in the next week or two.

Looks like the summer is gone for Caroline and me but I will have a nice shop and home for our cars by September.

Watch out Dave! Caroline is threatening to go to Cedar Rapids without me in her Lark and is going to swing by your place to meet up with you and your girlfriend. She told me last night that She was going to phone up some friends here in Ontario and drive down with them without me. She figures I still need balance in my life and drag racing my car at Cedar Rapids is the way to go.

I think she is right...now where is my passport?

Allen

1964 R2 GT Hawk

1963 Daytona Convertible
                        Oakville, Ontario.
                        Hamilton Chapter
                        See you in Cedar Rapids Summer 2009
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                        PSMCDR 2013
                        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

No problem Ian. Good to see you are coming again.

quote:Originally posted by Ian Mackellar

Frank I'll race you but I need you to chip in for the shipping to get it over there!

1958 Golden Hawk
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 Avanti R2
                          1963 Avanti Salt Racer
                          Frank van Doorn
                          Omaha, Ne.
                          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Cool Steve,hope it runs hard, I am still flogging some things trying to improve my times some. What did you build, R-1 R-2 R-3 or?

quote:Originally posted by studebakersteve

Frank,looks like I will be there with the Challenger.It will be on it's trial run,see if it will make it or break it.
                            steve doerschlag
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

is this a 1/8 or 1/4 mike track?

great i do not like 1/8 mile tracks. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X