manifold paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manifold paint

I am getting my 53 V8 ready for a car show and would like a reoommnedation on a field applied coating, (spray or brush) that I can use on the exhaust manifold to dress up the engine compartment.

Also, what would be the correct color to use. I have the correct green engine and have cast studbaker valve covers

Thanks

POR 15 has a 'cast iron' colored paint that needs to be hot on the manifold to cure. It looks like cast iron, needs to be redone every three or four years, depending on local humidity. It can be bought in little cans, enough for several sets of manifolds.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
    '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
    (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

Eastwood also has a "cast iron" manifold paint at a reasonable price. I've used it on my manifolds, but it has only been one year, so I can't tell you how long it lasts.

Comment

I also have used Eastwood's manifold paint with success,it has been on my cars for many years with no noticeable deterioration. I take the manifolds off and clean them good with a wire wheel first though, preparation is the key to having it last. The paint needs to be cured with engine heat. I also use their black manifold paint on my cylinder heads so the paint does not burn off in the exhaust area.

Frank van Doorn
        1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Conv
        1941 Champion R-2 Rod
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I use this stuff:

========================
          63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
          Martinez, CA

Comment

Whichever paint is used, the key is surface preparation. Putting paint over rusty iron is a waste of effort. Take the manifolds to a machine shop which has a shot blaster or to a commercial sand blaster. Only when they are clean of rust will the paint have a chance to stick.

Also, AFAIK, the exhaust manifolds weren't painted OEM, as Studebaker knew any paint burns off or rusts through eventually.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

I used the POR15 paint Tom mentioned. The manifolds were sandblasted first. They held up pretty well for about 4yrs and maybe 15k miles. Rust spots started to show after that. Most of the mileage was in the early part. Right now I have my engine bay partly apart so the manifolds will get redone.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I've used Calyx as well. Good stuff.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X