'53 Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 Stude

In the "Nobody asked the question" category, I stuck my '53 on the scales today. Only things missing are paint, rear seat and instruments, everything else is on the car. So with a Morrison-chassis car and LS power, it comes in at 2695 (!). That's a lot lighter than I thought it would be. 45.3% rear, left to right within 10 lbs. No spare, and no fooling with corner weights yet.

'53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Give us more info on the Art Morrison chassis -- what type steering and brakes - rear end??? Pictures ?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I only put them on a scale to find out how much the fine will be
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Lost 20 bucks to my barber back in the 50's when I bet him my 53 coupe was heavier than a 55 t-bird. Wouldn't a thunk it!

Comment

It's all here: http://nelson-motorsports.com/studebaker.htm

Though I did upgrade the brakes from what I had to 13.25", six-piston fronts with the 10.5" 4-piston rears (Wilwood's).

'53 Commander
          Art Morrison chassis
          LS6 ASA/4L60E
          '53 Commander
          Art Morrison chassis
          LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Love it! Should be one heck of a ride when finished!

53commander HDTP
            53 Champion HDTP
            64 Champ long bed V8
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Great to see more progress, I have been wondering how you are doing with it. That is really light. Mine with the LS1/4L60E and Stude frame with Nova front subframe weighs 3440 with half a tank of gas and a little junk in the trunk. I have AC, power windows and probably heavier seats than you. Yours is really gonna cook!

Pat

Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

Comment

Hi Pat, I've really wondered where the weight came out of, but if the stock Stude weighed 3200-ish, the big area is obviously the engine, a good 300 lbs right there, So I have to think that the trans is a good deal lighter, as I could jostle the 4L60E around a lot easier than the Stude auto. I have the front seats from a '60's 2-door Mercedes full size car, with the stock rear. The frame and brakes are the only other areas that are good deal lighter. The stock Stude frame at the front crossmember is pretty beefy, and between things like coilover shocks and a rack and pinion steering, there's litlle bits here and there that make up the difference, Paint will add some, and having all the glass and interior trim will add some, but I guess I'd be surprised if I was over 3000 when it's all said and done.
                Plus the wife has said GET IT PAINTED NOW!!! STOP PROCRASTINATING!
                OK, I get the hint, I was just doing my part to ride out the financial storm....
                She is wondering which one of the eight stages of restoration I'm in...

'53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Looking great!

too bad they can't be finished over night so you can drive them the next day.

I'd think you'll be a little over 3K when the glass, interior insulation and carpet get installed, let us know when its finished what that weight is.
                  Your (blog site) 440 hp at 3K = 6.81 lbs per HP a very nice street rod ratio
                  even pushing 3300lb = 7.5 lb per HP. Seems to exceed the mark of 9 lbs/HP ol timers told me to shoot for.

I'm not seeking a high output motor by any means (04 Ls1) but its nice to know what your asking the motor to move around. Even if it's built (in my case) to cruise great distances with conviences.

By the way, what length steering column did you end up with?

ChopStu

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:
                    Plus the wife has said GET IT PAINTED NOW!!! STOP PROCRASTINATING!
                    OK, I get the hint, I was just doing my part to ride out the financial storm....
                    She is wondering which one of the eight stages of restoration I'm in...
                    Sounds like she wants to drive it! Based on your restoration scale I would say you are between 6 and 7. Stage 9 is looking at your finished car and deciding it is really not finished and you need to tear it apart again to change something.

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka Stu Cool

Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

Comment

Hi ChopStu--Your car looks great, I like the look.
                      Even though the engine I'm using dyno'd at 440, that was an ASA motor with LS1 heads and intake, and I'll use the LS6 stuff, so I figure it'll be up 10-15% on the current configuration. I used the Ididit Aluminum brushed tilt column, at 30". It took some work to make the column connection, since I was using a rack, and it also runs full-length headers. Not a lot of room for fooling around. I'll be running AC and power steering as well.

'53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E
                      '53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ralt12

Hi Pat, I've really wondered where the weight came out of, but if the stock Stude weighed 3200-ish,
                        I think that is what Studebaker advertised, but I have to believe they actually weighed considerably more than that.

My '54 Starliner weighed 3253 on NASCAR scales. That's with a 327 Chevy, aluminum T-10, aluminum bell, aluminum intake, tube shorty headers, aluminum wheels, no heater, no AC, no power windows, no power steering, etc. Stock frame and suspension. About 60 pounds of fuel.

(left side 1634, right side 1619...front 1708, rear 1545-47.5%)

I have seen those Morrison chassis and they are BEAUTIFUL...but I would think they weigh even more than the stock "flexible flyer" one.

Neat project []. Keep the updates coming.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I love it. And no rust? Wow!

Alex Nelsen
                          1954 Champion Coupe
                          Lizella, GA
                          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                          Lizella, GA

Comment

Hi Dick,
                            I would have thought the frame was pretty close weight-wise, without the ancillaries. But the coil-over combination in the rear is a lot lighter than a leaf spring/shock combination, and in the front, the large coils/shocks used with a Commander V8--with some pretty heavy steel a-arms--are, I think, worth a good bit. But not enough to make the difference between my car and Pat's so big. Going into this, I thought if I could come out with 3200, I'd be pretty happy. But now, I'm not sure I have 300 lbs worth of additions to make to get to 3000. The engine/trans combo really takes the weight off, so I'm surprised Pat's car is 3400. What could the difference be?

'53 Commander
                            Art Morrison chassis
                            LS6 ASA/4L60E
                            '53 Commander
                            Art Morrison chassis
                            LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

The no rust was the biggest surprise. The car was owned by a professor at the University of California at Riverside, so it was a real desert car; it didn't see a lot of rain over its life, and no snow. A far cry from where I started from in Upstate New York, where every old car is Swiss Cheese or Bondo to start with.

'53 Commander
                              Art Morrison chassis
                              LS6 ASA/4L60E
                              '53 Commander
                              Art Morrison chassis
                              LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Working...
                              X