EXHAUST NEEDED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHAUST NEEDED

1. Needed: exhaust pipes for 1950 Champion 6Cyl.
    Where should I look?

2. Also, the panel under the back bumper has two places for tail pipes to come out(off a V-8 I am sure) so I would like to put a "Y" in the system and run two tail pipes. . . any suggestions???

Thanks for any suggestions that anyone can give to me.

Sincerely,

Jimmie
    Orleans, Indiana

1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana

Do you have the manifold or do you need that too? The pipes and muffler could be fabricated by you or any muffler shop, since it sounds like you are not concerned with absolute original. Why not run duals like I did? Dual exhaust on a 170 cid 6 sounds good, I used dual flowmasters - not too loud, but a nice tone. I welded up my own exhaust tubes, and flanged the mufflers.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

1. Needed: exhaust pipes for 1950 Champion 6Cyl.
      Where should I look?

2. Also, the panel under the back bumper has two places for tail pipes to come out(off a V-8 I am sure) so I would like to put a "Y" in the system and run two tail pipes. . . any suggestions???

Thanks for any suggestions that anyone can give to me.

Sincerely,

Jimmie

There were no dual exhaust options until 1955, so I can't explain the two cutouts. If you want fake duals with a Y pipe, any muffler shop can weld something up with their pipe bender.
      Orleans, Indiana

JDP/Maryland
      JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

Do you have the manifold or do you need that too? The pipes and muffler could be fabricated by you or any muffler shop, since it sounds like you are not concerned with absolute original. Why not run duals like I did? Dual exhaust on a 170 cid 6 sounds good, I used dual flowmasters - not too loud, but a nice tone. I welded up my own exhaust tubes, and flanged the mufflers.

No, I have the manifold, just need from there on back. Is there any vendor who has the pipes made up and for sale. I might just put a dummy pipe out the other opening and put matching chromed ends on the two of them. I have so much in the car already, I really do not want to go with the dual exhaust and two mufflers, though I would like to have such a set up.
        A local muffler shop estimates $250 for the whole job including putting in a "Y" and everything, how does this sound?

Jimmie
        Orleans, Indiana

sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana

Comment

$250 sounds very reasonable to me. Twelve years ago I had a set of duals made for my 289 without Y-pipe and that was $275/aluminized.
          If you're planning on keeping the car and can't spring for stainless, definitely make certain it's aluminized.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Last time I checked, (2008) SASCO offered stock pipes. What they don't have, they have Park's Pipes make and drop ship for them.

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Don Simmons at Silvertone Exhaust in Ontario is the man. His parts list and prices are at studebakervendors.com.

Comment

I second that, and Don is a wonderful guy to do business worth. Silvertone Exhaust. Pre-made and stainless, too. I couldn't match his prices anywhere, either.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Those do sound like good prices, I must really be a CASO - I made my own...

Comment

I just had a system built and installed on a 50 champion
                    $300 at the local shop. Included hangers, chrome tip, muffler,exhaust pipe.It fits real well so $250 if its good work would be a reosonable price.
                    quote:Originally posted by Jimmie

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

No, I have the manifold, just need from there on back. Is there any vendor who has the pipes made up and for sale. I might just put a dummy pipe out the other opening and put matching chromed ends on the two of them. I have so much in the car already, I really do not want to go with the dual exhaust and two mufflers, though I would like to have such a set up.
                    A local muffler shop estimates $250 for the whole job including putting in a "Y" and everything, how does this sound?

Jimmie
                    Orleans, Indiana

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Just get a roll of flex pipe and so tie wire and a clamp or 2 and your in business, that is what I did on my 48 land cruiser in 1958 when I had no money but sure did help let the smoke out faster, good luck...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

quote:Originally posted by warrlaw1

I second that, and Don is a wonderful guy to do business worth. Silvertone Exhaust. Pre-made and stainless, too. I couldn't match his prices anywhere, either.
                        And I third that. I bought an exhaust set from Don about two years ago. And I just got around to installing them. A++++ on fit and finish. And he is a real great guy to do business with.

========================
                        63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                        Martinez, CA

Comment

Working...
                        X