How do I get fenders of my Daytona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get fenders of my Daytona?

I'm replacing both front fenders on my 65 Daytona. The manual is very sketchy on how to do it. I have removed all bolts/screws and lower valance. IT appears that the fenders are spot welded to the headlight housing. Am I missing something? Please help! Thanks to all and this wonderful forum.. Mike

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
    63 Champ (connie)
    64 Commander(commando)
    64 Hawk (nite rider)
    65 Daytona (pumpkin)

Direct from the factory the outer fender, inner fender and headlight housing or baffle were all spot welded together. I have found the easiest way to replace the outer fender is to remove the 3 pieces as one unit, drill out the spot welds for the outer fender and then reattach the new outer fender to the other two pieces. Once done, you can reinstall the complete unit. One caution, using this method, you have to make sure the newly assembled unit will correctly align on the car. If this is your first time doing this, then you might be better off letting the unit on the car, unbolting the outer fender at the cowl, drill out all the spot welds and then attach the outer fender. THis way there is a better chance the outer fender will align with the rest of the body. There are quite a few spot welds to remove.

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk
    1964 Convertable
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1950 Commander Starlight

Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

What I did was remove the fenders first then drill out the spot welds. Then I reattached the inner fender to the car. Then I fitted the new fender to the car. After I was satisfied with the fit I used shhet metal screws to attach the two pieces tgether. Then I removed the screws one at a time and welded the holes shut. The welds look almost like spot welds.

66 Commander R1 Clone
      51 Commander 4dr
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Okaay guys. So much for bolt on fenders! I'll try the drill method first. Thanks, Mike

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
        63 Champ (connie)
        64 Commander(commando)
        64 Hawk (nite rider)
        65 Daytona (pumpkin)

Comment

This post has asked the same question I had. I bought new front fenders from SASCO for my '66 Commander. The car is low mileage and the only rust is in the front fenders, mostly at the top. I thought it would be a breeze to unbolt and replace them. Nyet! I guess I'll have to drill or chisel the old ones loose and find somebody with a welder to help install the new ones. Bummer! But getting the new fenders on is the only thing needed before I get MAACO to spray it for $399.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Do yourselves a favor before installing the new fenders, spray the underside with Por 15 or a like product, especially in the rear vertical brace & the front over the headlamp area where rust really takes hold. As Kurt stated, using some sheet metal screws is the way to go. Some of the big box hardware stores have 1/8" screws with a wide head & self tapping threads that make it easy. After you have removed the bumper, grille, headlamp assembly you will be able to see all the spot welds. If you use a spot weld bit such as made by Blair, you wont have to drill thru the inner structure, just drill thru the outer fender, then grind the leftover metal flat, spray on some weld-thru primer & set the new fender on, get all your gaps even & weld it up. If you dont have access to a welder (preferrably a mig welder) then once your all aligned you can remove the fender assembly with the inner & take it to a welding shop. Now would be a good time to ask your painter if they would paint the front end sheet metal off the car. That way would look more professional & have a factory appearance, but would demand care & patience from you on reassembling.

60 Lark convertible
            61 Champ
            62 Daytona convertible
            63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2)
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

quote:Originally posted by edpjr

This post has asked the same question I had. I bought new front fenders from SASCO for my '66 Commander. The car is low mileage and the only rust is in the front fenders, mostly at the top. I thought it would be a breeze to unbolt and replace them. Nyet! I guess I'll have to drill or chisel the old ones loose and find somebody with a welder to help install the new ones. Bummer! But getting the new fenders on is the only thing needed before I get MAACO to spray it for $399.
              Please post pics of the paint job. jimmijim
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

IF you are going to have them welded on, find someone with a "Resistance Spot welder" (better Collision Centers have them) Get a spot weld drill bit, and drill from the inside of the fender (engine side) Mark them where they need to go, by using self tapping screws, take to the shop, make sure they use a WELD THRU PRIMER or they WILL rust from between the panels! Seam seal with a good 2 part epoxy seam sealer, prime & paint.
                Using the resistance spot welder, will duplicate the factory welds, and NO warpage.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Another hint to consider.

One of the primary rust areas is directly above the headlamp assembly. There is a little ledge there to trap mud that will eventually cause rust. It is very easy to fabricate a small baffle that will screw to the back of the headlamp support panel. Fit rubber around the edge to seal the gap. Mustang's used a similar idea to stop rust on their fenders. Although it is harder to make, you can do the same at the back of the fender.

I made these for my T-cab truck 25 years ago. (only did the headlights). No rust after 25 years. Should have done the back of the fenders as they have rusted.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I have found the TOOL to drill those pesky spot welds. After much reading different sites, I invested $4.99 plus tax for a spot weld remover bit at harbor freight. It worked like a charm. Just make a punch in the center of the spot weld then using the TOOL on a small drill I cut thru the fender in about 30-45 seconds per spot weld. I felt a slight drop as it cut thru the fender. Stop there or you will cut thru the apron (which I did a couple of times). I bought 2 bits which I think will be good for both fenders. I will replace and align one fender at a time. Hopes this helps. Thanks, Mike

M.hopinfox/Kennesaw,Ga.
                    63 Champ (connie)
                    64 Commander(commando)
                    64 Hawk (nite rider)
                    65 Daytona (pumpkin)

Comment

Working...
                    X