Avanti Mismatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Mismatch

Has anyone looked at this EBay car? Trying to figure out what is going on with it. Advertised as a clean titled '63. Serial number is wrong for a 63 or 64 Stude Avanti or later iterations and plate is on doorpost like II's and later. Body appears to be Avanti II as well. Interior, if original looks to be 70 or later. Last pic quenches any thought of restoration, but as a body shell for a racer, I might be interested. If, in fact, the title is for a '63, how clean can it be?

FOLLOWUP:
    I talked with the owner, who confirmed the car was probably a rebuild from a couple of donors. Still not sure of the SN on the car, but he checked the title and confirmed it was an Illinois title with the number 63R381SA.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

I certainly wouldn't describe that frame as being "soft" [:0]

Comment

A/c ducts in console, drivers side pull strap on door & vinyl material all look like a later Avanti II. Dual master cylinder could have been an addition to a stock 63, but with the other items, it does look like it was a later car, perhaps with a 63 frame installed at some time in the past.

60 Lark convertible
      61 Champ
      62 Daytona convertible
      63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2)
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Jim, FYI When I bought my first '63 it was Titled as a '63 but was built as an '83, Chevy engine/trans, complete interior of an '83, flanged rear axle from an IH Pickup! Some have told me that the AvantiII people bought older Avanti's and rebuilt them to their current year status and then resold them.....My VIN plate was also mounted to the drivers door post. I believe you may have found a second example of this, BUT that frame is a goner.......

BTW Did you ever get that CD together of your great low mile '63?

Comment

Avanti Motors did rebuild older models as customers requested but I've never heard of them rebuilding them to later specs, but anything is possible. After this many years there's no real way of verifying any of these unless some records come to light.

Are those Halibrand wheels on the car? They look similar at the least. If genuine, they're probably worth more than the rest of that car.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Is it possible the body and frame were surplus NOS Studebaker-VIN assigned-but never completed, then purchased and assembled by Avanti Motors as opposed to an early car that's been rebuilt/updated to Avanti II status?

Comment

The wheels are supposed to be Kelsey Hayes, and are what drew my second glance.

Thanks for reminding me about the CD. Would you send your mail again. Had a computer crash with the storm and I'm behind there too.

I told the owner the possible locations of the other tags that might help tell the story. Maybe he'll look, maybe not. Says he has it for sale locally for $3000 and if someone offers that its gone. I think it will struggle to make 3K on EBay with no drivetrain and a rotted frame, but you never know. I'll put a bid on it in a day or 2, but it will be for a shell. I'll sell off almost everything except the body and build a drag car. Stude Powered, just cause it's not what most would do.

Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________Rabid Snail Racing
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

From the motor mount adapters it had a SBC in it last, I have a 108 frame and an X member that could be put in it to make the Avanti frame...Bob

Bob Peterson / C & B Studebakers

Castro Valley, CA

Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Wasnt "grobb284" looking for another body for his SST frame project?

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Yes, he is.
                    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Rotted frame .. sounds like a match made in heaven.

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Is this a solution for the frame problem?

Rob in ND
                        '53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Rob in ND
                        \'53 Commander resto-mod (work in process)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 53hardtop

Is this a solution for the frame problem?
                          Its probably not, there isnt much to that "frame", its just the upper
                          rails. From the rust on my Avanti frame, thats the GOOD part. The
                          area that seems to rust first is the rear bottom spot welded flat steel
                          that runs the length of the upper rails. Rust forms between the two
                          pieces and pops the spot welds - ask me how I know.[:I]

Tom

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jlmccuan

Still not sure of the SN on the car, but he checked the title and confirmed it was an Illinois title with the number 63R381SA.
                            That would be a valid serial Number 63R-3815A with the Dealer applied Alpha code used to sell the late '63's as '64's.

I think it just had a few Avanti II upgrades, some were even done at Avanti Motors in South Bend.

Those almost look like Hillebrand/'64 Studebaker Magnesium Wheels! []

Too bad about the rust belt frame though, near the rear bumper is typical of salted road damage.

StudeRich
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'd bought a set of those wheels when I was 16,
                              if I'd had the money. Our auto parts store had
                              a set. That was 37 years ago. I'm thinking
                              they were Kelsey Hayes. I hadn't seen a set in
                              years. I think I like them just as good today as
                              I did back then. If someone buys that car and wants
                              to sell the wheels, let me know.

fstst56

Comment

Working...
                              X