which is it- dished or flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is it- dished or flat?

As i am trying to increase my Stude info base, I am confused about pistons. I read how the supercharged motors must have a lower compression ratio, 7:1, and use the dished pistons. the non SCed motors could use a higher CR 9:1 and used flat pistons.
    SASCO has flat pistons advertised for R1 and R2 289's.
    I need to rebuild a 289 and need good info. Not sure if I will use the SC I have or keep the AC unit (live in FL)
    Richard

R1 and R2 engines both used flat top pistons. The Compression ratio was reduced on r2 engines by using a different head. Actually R1 engines had 10.25:1 Cr and R2's were 9:1. As for pistons on 289's I believe you have 3 choices standard dish, flat top and semi dish. I used semi dished pistons on my 289 project with a steel head gasket and R1 heads. That dropped the compression enough that I have not had any problems with detonation

66 Commander R1 Clone
    51 Commander 4dr
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Cup style (semi dish) pistons with a standard head will give about 9.2 compression ratio. Works great with the super.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Do you have this setup? Earlier posts say the SC needs a lower CR (around 7:1). Haven't read anything about what CR higher octane gas will allow/
        Richard

Comment

Yes, that's what's in my car. I didn't have an R2 engine to replace the original that had gone missing. Jim Pepper advised using the standard heads with cup-style pistons. I also used Ted Harbits R2+ cam. Everything else is standard R2 equipment. It works great with 93 octane running about 26 to 28 degrees advance. 91 requires it to be set back a little.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Studebaker produced two different versions of the supercharged engine (we'll ignore the R3, due to it's rarity). The '57-'58 versions had around a 7.5-1 compression ratio, while the '63-'64 R2 had a factory 9.0-1 ratio.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
            '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Working...
            X