No announcement yet.

Wheel Action in Michigan (several pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Action in Michigan (several pics)

Purists beware: my Lark is a mild custom, so some things are "different".

So last year, I found some late model Mustang wheels that I like for a good price with great tires. I had some immediate issues; namely, that the offset was not meant for Studebakers - the wheel hit the steering arm. This spring, I solved that with 1" wheel spacers all around. Now this car won't be driven "much", so I don't anticipate much of an issue with added load on the bearings.

With that problem solved, I still had the issue of "FORD" being smack in the middle of the wheel caps. That just wouldn't do for me. So I spent much of the winter thinking of a solution. I knew I wanted a Stude logo in the center, but how to get it there? The Ford caps were not smooth, so do I fill the Ford oval and smooth it or find some Stude discs and glue them on? Well, I decided to make my own. Here are the results:

Step 1: winters are long in Michigan, so I had plenty of time to thing about circles and domes. I realized that a ball might provide little circles that would actually be domes. I found a website that would allow me to experiment with ball diameters to produce a 2.25" diameter dome with about a 1/4" height. I would need a 5" ball. I went to the local crafts store and all they had was a 100mm (4") diameter plastic ornament that came in two halves. I got out my compass and scribed 2.25" diameter circles on the surface.

Step 2: I got out my Dremel and a cutoff wheel and cut around the scribe lines and then used the face of the wheel to smooth out the rough edges and create the circle. I also flattened the bottom with the Dremel and rough sandpaper on a flat surface (the back side would be where to adhere it to the spinner).

Step 3: I had decided on what logo I would use, so the next step was paint prep. I sprayed "chrome" paint on the discs. I also knocked down the high spots with 100 grit paper in between coats.

Step 4: Next was to mask off the silver and spray with black.

Step 5: Here are the pieces in various stages of assembly.

Step 6: And the dome glued to the spinner. I used RTV silicone. It is simple, sticks to just about everything, and will allow removal if necessary.

Step 7. Here is the first spinner on the first wheel.

Step 8. This shot shows the nice arc on the dome. I had wanted a 5" diameter ball, but the 4" diameter has produced a very nice curve. I am very happy with the results!

Again, I'm happy with the way this turned out. I know some are going to think "WHAT?!?!? an Avanti logo on a Lark??? SACRILEGE!!!" But that's what MY money bought me for MY car My car won't be stock, but it could be returned to stock with little work.

--george

1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175
    53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

SWEET!! Great work, I like the look. How about some pics of the whole car so we can get the "full effect"?

Its not the years in your life that matters, its the life in your years.

Comment

Love it!

Dylan Wills

'61 lark deluxe 4 door wagon
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Nice work. Keep the dream alive!

John and Tracy Smith
        Queen Creek Arizona

[IMG]

Comment

George,

I doubt anyone's gonna carp about the wheels or the logo! I'm envious, to tell the truth! Those are SHARP!!![]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1963 Cruiser
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Very ingenious. You might edit the title of the first entry to include the words "How To" so it can be searched for in the future.

Long Michigan winters are good for something, after all.

[edit] typo
            [img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
            '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
            (Under Construction 617 hrs.)
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars

Comment

If this ain't a Caso dress-up coup, I don't know what it. Genius. Diggin' your choice of the Avanti-style "S" in particular.

So - you're gonna ramp up production and post an ad in TW, right?

Keoni Dibelka / HiloFoto
              In Hawai'i; on Hawai'i; on the Windward Side
              If da salt air never chew 'em up bumbye da lava will...

Comment

I'm a purist... and I must say... LOOKS GREAT!

LH
                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Whose to say that if things hadn't continued that the style of "S" you picked wouldnt have been the newest one! Great imagination & execution!

60 Lark convertible
                  61 Champ
                  62 Daytona convertible
                  63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2)
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Very nicely done. The end porduct looks very cool on the wheel.

Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO
                    President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

Sweet work!
                      If anyone hassles you about the caps, tell them they are based on the new Pepsi logo.
                      That'll confuse 'em[}]
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

Purists beware: my Lark is a mild custom, so some things are "different".
                      <snip>
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'll take (4) for my Avanti George, but with a Golden Sand "S" instead of silver:

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I actually tried inside first - the silver didn't look quite right, so I went with the outside. Maybe I should try again. I could do some in gold, but I have been searching for "just the right gold" for another project and have discovered there are several different gold spray cans out there. I wouldn't know which might match your car.

By the way, I used 1000 grit paper, not 100, to smooth out the surface (of course).

--george

53-54 C/Ks, 55 Speedsters, 63 Daytonas, Wagonaires Registries

Comment

Working...
                          X