PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Hawk News

Lark Parker
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
This is a new thread because I didn't want to wade through the ugly pictures of the wrecked car, accounts of the wreck, discussion of the cause, and Ted's injuries.

Those unaware of the wreck can use the search feature at the top of the page (search for Ted Harbit) and look and read about that there. There are plenty of threads already relating to the subject.
I wanted a new start without so many dark clouds and diversions in order to discuss going forward.

GOOD NEWS;
Ted and Mary Ann are both in pretty good shape, all things considered, and were pleasant hosting friends to John Kern and me today.

John and I met at the Harbit house and helped Ted get the car off the truck and into his garage. That was not an easy task on a hulk that had more scooting than rolling ability.
John is young and strong so he was the handiest tool we used.

This new, close location makes it possible for Ted to have the car where he can easily look at it from time to time and evaluate what may still be useable. Perhaps even putter with removing a few things. (Ted doesn't have much of a "puttering gear" he's much more goal driven.)

I removed the bullet nose grill center for his daughter Missy. She has a wall of memorabilia about her father. (Ted's house doesn't exhibit much that shows his racing accomplishments.) The grill center was a specific request of Missy. The outside ring was broken a bit and hanging by a thread so the part was easy to remove.

Different people have asked for parts from the car and we BRIEFLY discussed what to do. Ted was puzzled that anyone would want parts that are so damaged. I think he never collected his own souvenirs and it puzzles him that others would want to.
John and I promoted the idea that it would be OK to sell souvenir parts of the car to help support racing the Stude Tomato and the "near completion" (my words, not Ted's) drag Avanti, "Son of Chicken Hawk". Mary Ann said it would be a shame to just send the residue of the car to salvage. I think we kind of agreed that pieces should/could be sold. Signed, if the person wants it.

DO NOT CALL TED OR MARY ANN AND ASK FOR A PART OF THE CHICKEN HAWK.
It's only a matter of deciding whether Missy or Mary Ann would attack you first.

Ted said that he would not work on the car until after the Cedar Rapids International. He was already pleased that the turbos that he thought were broken appear to be OK. Of course, those kinds of things are subject to further inspection. Getting the car moved to a handy place had several productive benefits.

I'm pretty sure that Ted will not take the car back to where he found it in the fence row to get this thirty dollars back.

For those thinking of buying parts you should consider the amount of work you are loading onto Ted to remove and ship. He is not ready for that strenous effort. Remember, he recently had a bad wreck that did not make his day.

I was thinking of cutting some (mailable size) sheet metal pieces from the hood, door or whatever is popular. All the body pieces are ruined for use on another car. For example, the rear bumper resembles a big hairpin.
Some discussion of a realistic way to handle selling pieces is encouraged.
Just remember this is not a forum to put in for what part you personally want. It is too soon to ask about that.
This is just a think tank as to how one might go about sharing this car with those that want a piece of Studebaker racing history.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/larkparker/Miscellaneous/caryreduced.jpg Lark Parker

Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

whacker
06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
How about the engine? What I am thinking, is since the car is wrecked beyond repair, maybe we could get up a collection to purchase the engine with the turbos and carbs and such, then detail and mount the engine on a stand and donate it to the museum? It could be part of a display with pictures of the car in it's various configurations over the years. I wouldn't expect Ted to remove it alone, maybe we could donate some help as well? Just a thought.

N8N
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
I would think that stuff like the steering wheel, shift knob, etc. would be more desirable than cut up sheetmetal, and easier to handle.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Lark Parker
06-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Those are good ideas.
More realistic than mine.

The "problem" with unique items is:
High bidder?
Set a price, or, fastest on the trigger gets it?

LP

Swifster
06-12-2009, 08:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

High bidder?

High bidder. Many are not on the computer all day.

As to questions about why someone would want parts, in the 'religion' that is Studebaker, these are relics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

1964 Studebaker Commander 170-1V, 3-speed w/OD (Cost to Date: $623.67)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/01-01-05TheStartingPoint.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/07-17-07FrontClipRemoved.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i280/Swifster/The%20Daytona%20File/Avatar%20Size/08-06-29.jpg

studeclunker
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Swifster

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

High bidder?

High bidder. Many are not on the computer all day.

As to questions about why someone would want parts, in the 'religion' that is Studebaker, these are relics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Mulberry, FL

Careful there Tom.[:0] I'm in trouble with my pastor belonging to a car club as it is. Go around talking like that and they may ex-communicate me (LOL)![}:)];)!

As to the OT; I like the idea of mounting the engine for the museum. An auction on the souveneer parts would be a good idea to perhaps bring some return to Ted, which after all, is only fair.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

BobPalma
06-12-2009, 11:12 PM
:) The real wild card on any "auction" or such through the Forum is how few SDC members actually participate on the Forum. It would be a shame to exclude those who may want to own a souvenir just because they aren't forum regulars.

Consider: I just checked and see that we now have 83 pages of Forum members at 50 members per page; roughly 4,150. We know the majority of those do not frequent the forum daily; look at how many have fewer than 10 posts. And even the entire 4,150 represent only a third of the SDC membership.

So if a piece of The Chicken Hawk was, say, offered on a Forum auction for a week, with high bidder at the end of the week winning it, I'll bet fewer than 20% of the SDC membership would even have been aware of the auction while it was underway.

This is a tough situation for which I've got no immediate answer to suggest, Dale (or Ted).

Further, not only would a more widely-exposed auction (or other piece availablity, if that's what Ted wants to do) probably produce more revenue for racing projects, it would also eliminate any potential hard feelings among the many good SDC members who just don't happen to spend time on the Forum (or even have a computer, for that matter).

If Ted ultimately decides "for sure" he wants to part it out (your post indicates no firm decision has been made, Dale, nor would we expect it at this juncture) and generate revenue in the process, we'll want to give some thought as to how the availability could be extended to all SDC members, not just the several hundred who are regulars on the forum, plus maybe another thousand lurkers in addition to "us regulars."

Off to think. :DBP

barnlark
06-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I think if Ted thinks it's okay to share pieces of his car, that's a great gesture for those who would treasure such an item. I enjoyed the brick from the factory demolition given away as awards at the last South Bend Zone Meet in May. It would be great to somehow compress, or melt the parts into small metal bricks..maybe painted the same color with plaques on them at a future International Meet for something really different to hand out. These could then be handed down as proud accomplishments in the same vein that the Chicken Hawk enjoyed throughout its career.

mapman
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Since all of this is just conjecture at this point I will bring up the possibility of a raffle. It would not assure any one bidder of a win and could be done several times with various parts of the Chicken Hawk. I don't know the legal ramifications (is it gambling?) but I am sure that we must have someone here who does.
Done through SDC and involving both the forum and Turning Wheels would then be possible.
Just another idea.

The one thing that occured to me when viewing the aftermath was all the kids who were able to see first hand the lesson of safety practiced by one of the greats and how it paid off. Always a teaching moment. The stuff heros are made of.

Rob

HookedonStudies
06-13-2009, 11:12 AM
To address the "accessability" issue, 1" and/or 2" squares of sheet metal could be donated or sold to the SDC store, and perhaps sold as part of a limited release. (each piece numbered and autographed?).
As for larger pieces or specific items, I like the idea of the engine ending up in the museum, other items perhaps could be listed - with minimum opening bids - in TW with a mail in feature and an online feature either through the forum or the SDC website. Bidding open for 60 days - 90 days... no need to hurry.

There is no doubt that the items would have wide appeal among SDC members and collectabilty perhaps even outside of our marque.

Pat Casey
55 Commander
58 Transtar
62 GT Hawk
66 Cruiser
SDC Member since 1988

rodnutrandy
06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
The engine in a museum is an idea, BUT Ted might still have plans for that engine, I sure don't know, but give Ted some time.

Randy Wilkin
1946 M5 Streetrod
Hillsboro,Ohio 45133
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/3105614572_3fbddc8fd7_m.jpg

BobGlasscock
06-13-2009, 06:24 PM
One thought of mine about an auction. Seems like it should be in a media that is available constantly, updated in real-time and as widespread publicly as possible. Missing any of these criteria would create a hinderance among some group of people in being able to participate.

Maybe the SDC itself (or a very caring member) could put the items on (sit down, hold on to yourself, and take a deep breath) EBay. An unmeasurable side-effect might be some amazing exposure to the rest of the world. And it would also be exposed to the racing car enthusiast outside of Studebakers.

As much as I like the idea of a TW involvement, I think the limited date of publications would absolutely kill the bidding process. Assuming the purpose is to raise as much money as possible. I would be in favor of TW if each piece had a set price for retail sale only.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff019.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg316/studebakerbob/SDC%20avatar/Studebakerstuff018.jpg