What's the real story on this 51 Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the real story on this 51 Custom

I have seen this Stude for sale going on 2 year plus ago. What's the story on this car? I think it looks cool. Anyone seen this in person?

Please look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STUDEBAKER-51-RUDE-STUDE-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ130311906201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1e5731e39 9&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317|240%3A1318

Looks like that rear window gasket fits really pooly. And as "radical" as it pretends to be, the engine compartment is uninspriring. Flex hoses to the rad and a totally out-of-place WS washer resevoir.

It's TOO severe a chop for my tastes, but I'm sure someone would swoon over it. I give it Three snoozers - [|)][|)][|)]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1963 Cruiser
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

'Looks to be a 1950 Commander, not a '51. Sure is rare to see a long-fendered Commander bullet-nose customized instead of a Champion. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It always concerns me to see what looks like a "Heirloom" custom for sale. I think that if I came in possession of a car this "unique" I would want to keep it forever. It makes you wonder what is really wrong with the car. Does it run hot? Does it leak? Chopping any car is a challenge, but a Starlite with all those curved windows must be a special challenge.Does it ride like a horse drawn buck board (or like a Jeep CJ5)? I enjoy looking at these things on eBay but I think I wouldn't spend a dime without a long test drive and thorough inspection first. I agree with Bob Palma about the long fendered '50. You just don't see them often as customs. That part I really like.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

I have only two limitations ...BRAINS & ENERGY
        SDC member since 1975
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It's not too bad for what it is, but if I was going to really drive a car like that I wouldn't want the top chopped so severely. It would look fine cruising the boulevard at night.
          The problem is that a Starlight coupe looks out of proportion with a milder chop. I prefer the "Chicken Hawk" look with raised rear wheel openings and little else modified on the exterior.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
          "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

JClary, I have a 1950 Starlight Commander. I plan to keep it forever. However, perhaps if money is tight, I might have to sell.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by royvaldez

JClary, I have a 1950 Starlight Commander. I plan to keep it forever. However, perhaps if money is tight, I might have to sell.
              I understand fully that sometimes we have to part with "Things" we own. After all...we're merely passing through this life as well. However, the title of this thread is "What's the real story on this '51 Custom?"
              I have my Father's walking stick, an 1800's Waltham pocket watch that was given to him by my Grandfather and, in addition, a few other things that probably are not very marketable...but to me they are priceless. I meant no disrespect toward the car being sold, but I am as curious as the next guy as to what prompted it.

John Clary
              Greer, SC

Are grown possums born dead in the middle of the road?
              SDC member since 1975
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
              X