SDC Past President is New Author

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC Past President is New Author

Long time Studebaker Drivers Club member and Past President Stu Chapman recently completed the manuscript for a new book covering his life in the automobile advertising world, specifically highlighting the Studebaker. Stu's book is titled "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker." Stu was Studebaker's last Director of Advertising and Public Relations and was given the onerous task on March 4th 1966 of releasing the news to Canada that Studebaker would no longer produce automobiles. His book relates many interesting tales leading up to the company's demise plus the forty-odd years of Studebaker activity afterwards. The book is a 'must read' for Stuedbaker aficianados as you will learn about some developments not previously discussed, as well as timely comparisons between Studebaker and the Detroit Three of today. The book will sell for $19.95 US plus shipping, however there is a pre-publication offer of $16.95 US plus shipping, for orders received prior to September 15th 2009. To register for this offer, email Stu at schapman5@cogeco.ca with your name, address, zip/postal code, email address and number of copies required. The publisher will accept VISA or MasterCard.

Stu C. also posted this on another part of the SDC Forum. I welcomed him there and hope that he becomes a regular. I also ordered the new book.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Ditto!

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island Chapter
      http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Thritto!

Comment

Quad....never mind!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
          47 M-5
          Izzer Buggy
          Junior Wagon
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

From where did you lift this write-up for the book, Stu? Hope it's not a well-paid publicist. [:0]

"The book is a 'must read' for Stuedbaker aficianados"

I assume you didn't write this in the third person and spell Studebaker & aficionados incorrectly! I'm sure it's a great book, though. Can't wait to soak up your take on it all, after these many years. [^]

Comment

Thanks Barnlark. No publicist...written personally, but obviously without a double-check for spelling on my part. That's what one gets for rushing. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. The manuscript has been proofread to death so I trust there will be no mistakes in it. Thanks again.
              Stu

Comment

Sorry, Stu! No disrepect intended. [B)] Regardless, I still can't wait to read such a book written by someone whom was behind the curtain for quite some time.
                My neighbor proudly asked me to view his new website for his company last week (for which he paid $180K for the service) and I immediately noticed five typos and spelling errors just on the front page. He was livid! The web/PR company has three hot shot 25 year olds running it. I make plenty of typos myself, but I don't get paid to represent others...or for that kind of fee!! [:0] By the way, my nearby neighbor, Dale Richmond, has your former immaculate black '66 four door. He may be selling it soon. I'll post pictures if he does. Beautiful car. Does that car have a rich history that you can share with us?

Comment

Back to Barnlark. I share your concerns about the lack of quality and care in today's workplace. My book has really been edited very carefully and I hope you'll enjoy it. I'm sorry I became a little sloppy in my post. Dale's car is actually a 65 and my wife found it years ago in southern New York with 10,000 miles on it. We had it repainted and put radials on it. We subsequently sold it to Dale and took his 64 Daytona hardtop in trade. Except for paint and tires it is totally original. It started life as a daily rental, running up 5,000 miles, followed by a car dealer owner in New York who added another 5K, then to us.

Comment

Thanks Stu. Correct..'65, my mistake. It's been awhile since I've seen it. He's kept it in immaculate condition. There had been rumors that it, perhaps, had been originally owned by a Hamilton V.P., or someone to that effect, so I wasn't sure and either was Dale. Thanks for confirming. That's why credible sources of our marque's past (even individual cars!) are a true treasure to our club's future. Hope you sell a ton of your book. Great price, too. Thank you.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stu Chapman

Back to Barnlark. I share your concerns about the lack of quality and care in today's workplace. My book has really been edited very carefully and I hope you'll enjoy it. I'm sorry I became a little sloppy in my post. Dale's car is actually a 65 and my wife found it years ago in southern New York with 10,000 miles on it. We had it repainted and put radials on it. We subsequently sold it to Dale and took his 64 Daytona hardtop in trade. Except for paint and tires it is totally original. It started life as a daily rental, running up 5,000 miles, followed by a car dealer owner in New York who added another 5K, then to us.
                      I remember that 1965 a little different than you do, Stu. I knew the car before you first saw it. I passed on a lead of several Studebakers, that the guy in upstate New York owned, to one of your group of travelers from Canada. I believe that you all stopped in and between you bought a few of the Studebakers, with you and Thelma buying the 1965. I seem to remember that the odometer was turned back before the guy that you bought it from owned it.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hello John Clements/Avantilover. Send me an email at schapman5@cogeco.ca with your mailing address and email address and I will take it from there. Thanks for your support.
                        Stu Chapman

Comment

Back to Studegary. I do remember you mentioning the rollback on the Cruiser and had forgotten it. When Thelma found the car, aside from being very dirty from sitting outside, it was an absolute gem. We decided to paint it since there was some paint on the left rear fender that had some blemishes on it. Between Dale and I, we enjoyed many years of pleasure with that car.
                          Stu Chapman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stu Chapman

Back to Studegary. I do remember you mentioning the rollback on the Cruiser and had forgotten it. When Thelma found the car, aside from being very dirty from sitting outside, it was an absolute gem. We decided to paint it since there was some paint on the left rear fender that had some blemishes on it. Between Dale and I, we enjoyed many years of pleasure with that car.
                            Stu Chapman
                            No offense meant. I remember working on the car when it was at Jerry's garage shortly after the guy (beore the guy that you bought it from) bought it (I believe at Hershey). It was/is a VERY nice car. I came close to buying it before you did. Especially at that time, I did not want a four door. Of the more than 50 Studebakers that I have owned, I have yet to own a 1965 or 1966. I have driven them and worked on them, just never owned one. I did come minutes from owning a new 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan in 1966.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks a lot for writing this book, Stu! And for letting us know about it here on the forum. I worked part-time for Studebaker (for the Western NY regional manager) while in college in 1965-66 and had the pleasure of meeting you once and Harm Arnold (am I right about the name?) a couple of times plus some others. I know how hard Gordon Grundy and you and the rest of the team worked to keep Studebaker alive in those days (AND how good the cars were), so I'm really looking forward to reading the book.

Gene Nagle
                              Escondido, California

Eugene C Nagle
                              Gene Nagle
                              1963 Hawk R1
                              1985 Avanti

Comment

Working...
                              X