PDA

View Full Version : SDC Past President is New Author

Stu Chapman
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Long time Studebaker Drivers Club member and Past President Stu Chapman recently completed the manuscript for a new book covering his life in the automobile advertising world, specifically highlighting the Studebaker. Stu's book is titled "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker." Stu was Studebaker's last Director of Advertising and Public Relations and was given the onerous task on March 4th 1966 of releasing the news to Canada that Studebaker would no longer produce automobiles. His book relates many interesting tales leading up to the company's demise plus the forty-odd years of Studebaker activity afterwards. The book is a 'must read' for Stuedbaker aficianados as you will learn about some developments not previously discussed, as well as timely comparisons between Studebaker and the Detroit Three of today. The book will sell for $19.95 US plus shipping, however there is a pre-publication offer of $16.95 US plus shipping, for orders received prior to September 15th 2009. To register for this offer, email Stu at schapman5@cogeco.ca with your name, address, zip/postal code, email address and number of copies required. The publisher will accept VISA or MasterCard.

studegary
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Stu C. also posted this on another part of the SDC Forum. I welcomed him there and hope that he becomes a regular. I also ordered the new book.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Mark57
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Ditto! :D

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island Chapter
http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStore1Thumb.jpg

tomnoller
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Thritto!

STEWDI
06-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Quad....never mind!

Roger "153624" Hill

55 Champion
47 M-5
Izzer Buggy
Junior Wagon

barnlark
06-10-2009, 12:20 AM
From where did you lift this write-up for the book, Stu? Hope it's not a well-paid publicist. [:0]

"The book is a 'must read' for Stuedbaker aficianados"

I assume you didn't write this in the third person and spell Studebaker & aficionados incorrectly! I'm sure it's a great book, though. Can't wait to soak up your take on it all, after these many years. [^]

Stu Chapman
06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks Barnlark. No publicist...written personally, but obviously without a double-check for spelling on my part. That's what one gets for rushing. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. The manuscript has been proofread to death so I trust there will be no mistakes in it. Thanks again.
Stu

barnlark
06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Sorry, Stu! No disrepect intended. [B)] Regardless, I still can't wait to read such a book written by someone whom was behind the curtain for quite some time.
My neighbor proudly asked me to view his new website for his company last week (for which he paid $180K for the service) and I immediately noticed five typos and spelling errors just on the front page. He was livid! The web/PR company has three hot shot 25 year olds running it. I make plenty of typos myself, but I don't get paid to represent others...or for that kind of fee!! [:0] By the way, my nearby neighbor, Dale Richmond, has your former immaculate black '66 four door. He may be selling it soon. I'll post pictures if he does. Beautiful car. Does that car have a rich history that you can share with us?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2035-1.jpg

Stu Chapman
06-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Back to Barnlark. I share your concerns about the lack of quality and care in today's workplace. My book has really been edited very carefully and I hope you'll enjoy it. I'm sorry I became a little sloppy in my post. Dale's car is actually a 65 and my wife found it years ago in southern New York with 10,000 miles on it. We had it repainted and put radials on it. We subsequently sold it to Dale and took his 64 Daytona hardtop in trade. Except for paint and tires it is totally original. It started life as a daily rental, running up 5,000 miles, followed by a car dealer owner in New York who added another 5K, then to us.

barnlark
06-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks Stu. Correct..'65, my mistake. It's been awhile since I've seen it. He's kept it in immaculate condition. There had been rumors that it, perhaps, had been originally owned by a Hamilton V.P., or someone to that effect, so I wasn't sure and either was Dale. Thanks for confirming. That's why credible sources of our marque's past (even individual cars!) are a true treasure to our club's future. Hope you sell a ton of your book. Great price, too. Thank you.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN2035-1.jpg

studegary
06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stu Chapman

Back to Barnlark. I share your concerns about the lack of quality and care in today's workplace. My book has really been edited very carefully and I hope you'll enjoy it. I'm sorry I became a little sloppy in my post. Dale's car is actually a 65 and my wife found it years ago in southern New York with 10,000 miles on it. We had it repainted and put radials on it. We subsequently sold it to Dale and took his 64 Daytona hardtop in trade. Except for paint and tires it is totally original. It started life as a daily rental, running up 5,000 miles, followed by a car dealer owner in New York who added another 5K, then to us.

I remember that 1965 a little different than you do, Stu. I knew the car before you first saw it. I passed on a lead of several Studebakers, that the guy in upstate New York owned, to one of your group of travelers from Canada. I believe that you all stopped in and between you bought a few of the Studebakers, with you and Thelma buying the 1965. I seem to remember that the odometer was turned back before the guy that you bought it from owned it.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Stu Chapman
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Hello John Clements/Avantilover. Send me an email at schapman5@cogeco.ca with your mailing address and email address and I will take it from there. Thanks for your support.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Back to Studegary. I do remember you mentioning the rollback on the Cruiser and had forgotten it. When Thelma found the car, aside from being very dirty from sitting outside, it was an absolute gem. We decided to paint it since there was some paint on the left rear fender that had some blemishes on it. Between Dale and I, we enjoyed many years of pleasure with that car.
Stu Chapman

studegary
06-12-2009, 02:12 PM

Back to Studegary. I do remember you mentioning the rollback on the Cruiser and had forgotten it. When Thelma found the car, aside from being very dirty from sitting outside, it was an absolute gem. We decided to paint it since there was some paint on the left rear fender that had some blemishes on it. Between Dale and I, we enjoyed many years of pleasure with that car.
Stu Chapman

No offense meant. I remember working on the car when it was at Jerry's garage shortly after the guy (beore the guy that you bought it from) bought it (I believe at Hershey). It was/is a VERY nice car. I came close to buying it before you did. Especially at that time, I did not want a four door. Of the more than 50 Studebakers that I have owned, I have yet to own a 1965 or 1966. I have driven them and worked on them, just never owned one. I did come minutes from owning a new 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan in 1966.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

HawkGT
06-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks a lot for writing this book, Stu! And for letting us know about it here on the forum. I worked part-time for Studebaker (for the Western NY regional manager) while in college in 1965-66 and had the pleasure of meeting you once and Harm Arnold (am I right about the name?) a couple of times plus some others. I know how hard Gordon Grundy and you and the rest of the team worked to keep Studebaker alive in those days (AND how good the cars were), so I'm really looking forward to reading the book.

Gene Nagle
Escondido, California

Eugene C Nagle

Stu Chapman
06-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I assume Avantilover refers to a radio interview in March of this year and he must have heard it on shortwave. The station was CKTB, St Catharines, Ontario. This city is the home of McKinnon Industries, GM's engine plant, and they were concerned the current economic conditions in the auto industry might see the closing of that plant, hence the interview.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-14-2009, 12:16 PM
To HawkGT...Harm Arnold was the man. He was an engineer assigned to work directly with us in Canada. Thanks for your kind remarks.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-14-2009, 12:25 PM
UPDATE - MY FATHER THE CAR
As of this moment, pre-publication sales requests are now at 118 copies. Clearly, I am thrilled with the support everyone has given me. For those of you familiar with the book publishing business will know there is a minimum commitment required with payment in hand before the publisher will commence production. In my case this figure is 250 copies. I will be emailing order/payment instructions to all 118 shortly. For those who haven't yet contacted me but are interested in a copy, please email me at schapman5@cogeco.ca and I will contact you. I will be attending the SDC Meet in Cedar Rapids and will be taking orders there on July 14, 15 and 16 at the Studebaker National Museum display. Please drop by and say hello.
Stu Chapman

BobPalma
06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
:) Stu: I plan to stop by in Cedar Rapids and order a copy. Any chance you'll actually have some "hot off the press" for sale and delivery at the meet? :DBP

Stu Chapman
06-14-2009, 08:01 PM
To Bob Palma: Unfortunately it'll be late fall before we have books ready for distribution. The manuscript in hard copy form is on its way to the publisher right now and they have to have 250 orders with payment committed to them before they begin the major work. Hopefully, page design and setup will start in a couple of weeks, but then I'm in a lineup of authors ahead of me.
Stu Chapman

BobPalma
06-14-2009, 08:05 PM

To Bob Palma: Unfortunately it'll be late fall before we have books ready for distribution. The manuscript in hard copy form is on its way to the publisher right now and they have to have 250 orders with payment committed to them before they begin the major work. Hopefully, page design and setup will start in a couple of weeks, but then I'm in a lineup of authors ahead of me.
Stu Chapman

:) OK, Stu. Put me down for one and I'll pay you at Cedar Rapids. Sounds like a nice book. :DBP

Stu Chapman
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM
OK Bob...see you at Cedar Rapids.
Stu

barnlark
06-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Stu Chapman

"... When Thelma found the car, aside from being very dirty from sitting outside, it was an absolute gem. We decided to paint it since there was some paint on the left rear fender that had some blemishes on it. Between Dale and I, we enjoyed many years of pleasure with that car."

Originally posted by studegary

'No offense meant. I remember working on the car when it was at Jerry's garage shortly after the guy (beore the guy that you bought it from) bought it (I believe at Hershey). It was/is a VERY nice car. I came close to buying it before you did. Especially at that time, I did not want a four door. Of the more than 50 Studebakers that I have owned, I have yet to own a 1965 or 1966. I have driven them and worked on them, just never owned one. I did come minutes from owning a new 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan in 1966."

Here is the car at last year's Wink's, Stu and Gary. I think Dale is reluctantly close to selling this beautiful car soon. Is this how you remembered it, Stu? I don't think Dale had time to even wash it that day.. and it still is a gem.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0431-1.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0434.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0432.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0433.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/newshooter44/DSCN0435.jpg

MarkMulholland
06-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Stu's book can be purchased online directly from the publisher here:

[http://www.mtpublishing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=myfatherthecar]

Mark

studegary
06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, that is how I remember that nice car.
The picture brings back a strange memory. I pulled into a rest stop on the Mass. Turnpike (many years ago) and saw the car parked there. Stu and I met in the men's room - now that sounds wrong/strange &lt;G&gt;. A "pit stop" just happened to be the reason that both of us stopped there.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

barnlark
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
:D:D:D

Stu Chapman
06-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Fortunately I've seen Dale's 65 several times since we sold it to him. Whoever buys it is getting a great car. he has kept it in absolutely top-notch condition. I think it has 38K on it now. Dale and Marylyn and Thelma and I keep in touch fairly regularly.
Stu Chapman

barnlark
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I live about three miles away from him, but haven't seen him since the last meet. I hope Marylyn is holding up better, he's dealing with plenty of things right now. I think that's why he even remotely might be considering selling it. I know he loves that car, though. Hard to say good bye, I think.

Stu Chapman
06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I talked with Marylyn within the last two weeks and she told me she was feeling pretty good. Dale subsequently emailed me and said they hoped to get to Canada this summer for the Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Stu

Stu Chapman
06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Re: My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker
The publisher's web site initially was having problems in accepting Canadian book orders on line. This has subsequently been corrected. Shipping charges of $6.95 US per book will show up on the confirmations they email to purchasers, however trans-border mailing will cost a bit more. To solve any concerns anyone may have, simply call 1-888-263-4702, toll-free, and place your order direct. It appears we need just over 100 more orders to fulfill the minimum publishing commitment. Please bear in mind we are trying to complete the project in time for Christmas distribution, but this is not guaranteed. I'll keep everyone posted as to the book's progress. Thanks to everyone for your support.
Stu Chapman

Mark57
06-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Re: My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker
The publisher's web site initially was having problems in accepting Canadian book orders on line. This has subsequently been corrected. Shipping charges of $6.95 US per book will show up on the confirmations they email to purchasers, however trans-border mailing will cost a bit more. To solve any concerns anyone may have, simply call 1-888-263-4702, toll-free, and place your order direct. It appears we need just over 100 more orders to fulfill the minimum publishing commitment. Please bear in mind we are trying to complete the project in time for Christmas distribution, but this is not guaranteed. I'll keep everyone posted as to the book's progress. Thanks to everyone for your support.
Stu Chapman

Stu - I just placed my order online and no problems at all with the process. :);)

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island Chapter
http://sdcvi.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/CandyStore1Thumb.jpg

Bill Pressler
06-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Boy, looking at the rear photo of Dale's car (Stu's former car)--and it's as gorgeous in person as it is in the photos--makes me realize that the rear trim on the '65 is, IMHO, so much better looking than how they did the '64 Cruiser and Daytona...all the trim at the top and none in the lower panel, which makes the car look narrow and tall. The trim on Dale's looks perfect.

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
'64 Daytona Hardtop

barnlark
06-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Bill, if only you had found that type of condition Greenville car in Minnesota. [:0]:D

Bill Pressler
06-17-2009, 08:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by barnlark

Bill, if only you had found that type of condition Greenville car in Minnesota. [:0]:D

How true! But, I'm trying to enjoy and work with what I got:)

Bill Pressler
Kent, OH
'63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
'64 Daytona Hardtop

Stu Chapman
06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I talked with Dale Richmond last evening and both he and Marylyn are OK. Dale is definitely interested in selling the 65 as it's time in their lives to sell their home and move to something smaller and more senior-oriented, which, of course, means no room for the vintage Studebaker. Dale is a great Studebaker supporter and plans on promoting my new book to his chapter members.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Radio interview which partially led to my new book.
If you Google Stu Chapman Studebaker, the first item that comes up is: Stu Chapman, former Director of Advertising and Public Relations for Studebaker of Canada talks about the closing of the plant in Hamilton 43 years ago today. This is a radio interview at 610CKTB, St Catharines, on March 17th 2009. I had been receiving considerable urging to finally write a book on my life with Studebaker, and this interviewer convinced me to finally do it. Since the actual interview is not in my upcoming book, I thought you might like to listen to it on your computer. Sales are going well and I thank you all for your support.
Stu Chapman

Warren Webb
07-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Excellent interview, just too short! But boy, does it hit the head on whats going on today! I cant wait for my copy of Stu's book to arrive & see from his perspective what it was like in the final days.

60 Lark convertible
61 Champ
62 Daytona convertible
63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
63 Avanti (2)
66 Daytona Sport Sedan

avantilover
07-03-2009, 03:08 AM
I have to admit to feeling sorry that Stu and others worked so hard to "save" auto production when the company had already decided to focus on their profitable businesses (unbeknownst to anyone else). But well done none the less. I'll order it now, had some trouble with the website, should be ok by now. By trouble, I mean 1) Initially no Australia listed, then 2) When I changed the order from 1 to 3 and clicked update total I was told "your cart is empty" and nearly decided to forget about it if they can't get their act together.

Stu will be pleased to know he has sold 3 books, and all is well.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

Stu Chapman
07-12-2009, 12:34 PM
A reminder to Cedar Rapids registrants.
I will be at the Studebaker National Museum display Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, taking orders for my new book. I look forward to your visit and to say hello.
Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone.
Book orders at Cedar Rapids were very strong and pre-publishing sales are now approaching 200. Thanks so much. Check out August Turning Wheels for the publisher's ad.
Stu

tomnoller
07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
It was great to meet you, Stu, and nice job on the interview.
I hope you're kept at least as busy as J. K. Rowling at a book signing!

Stu Chapman
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi again everyone. This is a last minute reminder that the deadline for pre-publishing sales for my book "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker" is Tuesday September 15th. If you order by that date the price is just $16.95 plus shipping/handling. Just telephone 1-888-263-4702, toll free, and the publisher will gladly take your order. After Tuesday the price goes up to its regular cost of $19.95. Sales are approaching 300 and I thank everyone who has taken advantage of the special price. Fortunately production is ahead of schedule and it looks as though the book will be ready for shipping by early November.
Stu Chapman

Sdude
09-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the last minute reminder. I missed the original posting. Looking forward to reading the book. I've heard stories of the back room shennanigans and I look forward to your insight and reflection.

By the way, I was a fan of the Jerry Van Dyke TV show - My Mother the Car. Is there any connection to the title of your book? Or were you also a fan of that show?

Jon Stalnaker
Editor, Hawk Talks
Karel Staple Chapter SDC
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2848527836_6f817c03fc_t.jpg

Stu Chapman
09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
In response to Jon Stalnaker, the selection of the title 'My Father The Car' was solely based on a philosophical reflection that you will have to read about in the book. Interestingly, I thought long and hard about its relevance, but after reviewing with a few people, I was reminded about 'My Mother The Car'. I subsequently decided to go with it. I'm sure you will enjoy the book.
Stu

8E45E
09-15-2009, 01:47 PM

Hi again everyone. This is a last minute reminder that the deadline for pre-publishing sales for my book "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker" is Tuesday September 15th. If you order by that date the price is just $16.95 plus shipping/handling. Just telephone 1-888-263-4702, toll free, and the publisher will gladly take your order. After Tuesday the price goes up to its regular cost of $19.95. Sales are approaching 300 and I thank everyone who has taken advantage of the special price. Fortunately production is ahead of schedule and it looks as though the book will be ready for shipping by early November.
Stu Chapman

Thanks for the last day reminder![^] The publisher also informed me I won't be billed until it is published and ready to ship! And I asked about it being signed by the author, and was told they will be! (Thank you Mr. Chapman!!)[^][^] Get your order in NOW!

Craig

Stu Chapman
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Craig for your post. You're a great press agent!
Stu

Mark57
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks Craig for your post. You're a great press agent!
Stu

Wait 'til you see his bill, Stu.[:0];)[}:)]:D

<h5>Mark
'57 Transtar Deluxe
Vancouver Island Chapter
http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ </h5>

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x153/MarkH57/IMG_0472a.jpg

Stu Chapman
10-22-2009, 11:25 AM
GREAT NEWS!
My Father The Car: Memoirs of my lfe with Studebaker, came off the press yesterday and will be ready for shipping from the publisher on Monday October 26th. I am so appreciative of the scores of Studebaker fans who pre-ordered this book. It will be in your hands very soon. If you would like a copy, simply telephone MT Publishing at 1-888-263-4702 with a credit card number and they will be happy to ship you a copy. The cost is $19.95 plus $6.50 shipping in the U.S. It is also available at the Studebaker National Museum. This has been a huge labor of love. I hope you all will enjoy it.
Stu Chapman

2R5
10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Looking forward to it !
Good luck with it Stu ;)

[IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/smallchamp-1.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/2R5/2008Daytona.jpg
Home of the Fried Green Tomato
"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ
1964 Daytona HT
1966 Daytona SS

studegary
10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Stu - I purchased both of your books at the begining. I paid what was asked, but I am curious about the shipping. I purchased four other books from various sources within the past month and none charged more than $4 for S&H for Media Mail delivery.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Stu Chapman
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Note to Gary. You would have to discuss S/H costs with MT Publishing, since it's out of my hands. Their published S/H costs is $6.50 for 1 book and $4.00 for each additional book. The original book I did back in 1986 I self-published in Canada and the postal book rate was quite low then. Unfortunately, the low rates are gone now.
Stu Chapman

studegary
10-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Note to Gary. You would have to discuss S/H costs with MT Publishing, since it's out of my hands. Their published S/H costs is $6.50 for 1 book and $4.00 for each additional book. The original book I did back in 1986 I self-published in Canada and the postal book rate was quite low then. Unfortunately, the low rates are gone now.
Stu Chapman

Stu - Perhaps you did not read my post carefully enough. I was referring to books within the past month, not ancient history.
I ordered four books in October from four different book sellers. The highest S&H was $4. This was for a hardbound book of approximately 500 pages. The price of the book was $11, so there wasn't anything made up there.
I know that you are not the one that established the pricing. I just wanted to air my comment/observation. I meant nothing personal by it.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

studegary
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I received my copy of Stu's new book on Friday, Nov. 6 (even with an incorrect Zip Code).

I have not read any of it yet, but it appears to be a very nice book. There are more pictures than I expected.

To close out my comments on the publisher's shipping costs, the book was wrapped in some bubble wrap and a piece of cardboard and shipped via Media Mail for $2.77.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968