uncle's 58 scotman 2-door wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uncle's 58 scotman 2-door wagon

in 1964 my uncle died in el paso,texas. well it was the summer time so i went with my dad to settlr the estste.(i got his double barrled 20 gauge shotgun.he left my dad his car a 1958 white scotman wagon,2-door with a flat head 6 and 3-speed on the columb,no o/d. well we loaded up the wagon with the things that he left the family.so me my dad grandma and grandpa left el paso and headed to missouri.now uncle westly liked to go across the border and if anyone has ever been to mexico you know they park by ear and backing until they hit some thing and then move forward until hitting something. needless to say the bumbers were dented and nicked but the rest of the car was great shape.well here we are going through the ozarks and all of a sudden the engine started missing and cont. to get worst. by the time we reach piedmont,missouri we were running on 3 cylinders. me and dad had brought his 57 commander from rolla to piedmont.so we headed home.the next weekend we were back dad pulled the head off and 3 of the valves were in two pieces.this saturday morning of dad went down to the western auto and bought 3 valves a valve spring commpressor and a gasket set and lapping compound.by 3 p.m. the stude was puring like a kitten. this was our one and only father/son activety we have ever done. he kept that old wagon until 1978 at which time he sold it to a studebaker collector in northern va. that 6-cylinder was a tough little engine it survived me and my sister and no work was ever done on it.oil changes,tuneups thats it.

happy fathers day.i know fathers day is the 21st just an early happy dads day.

??? Fathers Day is June 21.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hotrodstude
      He kept that old wagon until 1978 at which time he sold it to a Studebaker collector in northern VA . That 6-cylinder was a tough little engine it survived me and my sister and no work was ever done on it. Oil changes, tuneups; that's it.
      Happy Fathers Day.
      Frank Drumheller, Leonard Shepherd, Gary Hearn? Are one of you guys holding out on us?[:0][}] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
        Frank Drumheller, Leonard Shepherd, Gary Hearn? Are one of you guys holding out on us?[:0][}] BP
        Not those guys, but I seem to remember a Turning Wheels (?) article about 25 (?) years ago where a collector in Northern Virginia had to move all his cars because he was violating zoning laws. There were several pictures of the cars being towed away. I wonder if it is the same guy?

[Edit] Upon reflection, I think it may have been Cars and Parts or something along those lines and not TW.

Comment

Working...
        X