Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which came first?N&A,Avanti or Std.Surplus,SASCO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which came first?N&A,Avanti or Std.Surplus,SASCO?

Please help me with a time line. After Studebaker closed in 1963,what corporation bought up all the parts? Was it Avanti? Then after Avanti shut down it became Neuman & Altman? Then Standard Surplus after Mr. Altman was gone? Then SASCO after Dennis took it over from Mr. Neuman? Straighten me out guys! THANKS.

i think it was mr.altman that bought the studebaker invotory and the avanti. then the rest was correct.

Comment

When Studebaker was in business they had a surplus store located located at 405 W. Sample street which is where the Standard Surplus business was eventually located. Studebaker also sold surplus parts to various scrap dealers around the country. One of them was Newman & Altman in South Bend and they had a warehouse/store (Standard Surplus) farther west on Sample Street from the factory. When Studebaker shut down their South Bend facility in 1963/1964, Newman and Altman bought out many of their leftover parts and also purchased the 405 W. Sample building and moved their Standard Surplus store there. Newman & Altman also purchased the rights and parts for making the Avanti car but that was a separate corporation, Avanti Motors. Studebaker continued to sell parts at their Plant 8 outlet for a number of years. This inventory was eventually purchased by Newman & Altman (another corporation from Avanti Motors and Standard Surplus)and was called Avanti Parts Corporation although they sold Studebaker parts, not parts for Avantis which were located at Avanti Motors. In the late eighties Avanti Parts Corporation was purchased by Geoff Newman who by now was the sole owner of Newman & Altman, Standard Surplus Division. In 1999 Dennis Lambert purchased the Standard Surplus inventory and moved it across the street to the old Studebaker Engineering Building.

Ed Reynolds

Comment

Ed thanks for the history! I had heard that when N&A bought the rights to the Avanti that they also bought the rights to build Packars and the Studebaker Trucks, but neither of these ever happened. Is this correct? In additon to what was shared?

Comment

The building that N & A bought to assemble the Avanti had been the truck assembly plant and was full of truck parts. Studebaker sold them the building along with the parts. I was told that Avanti pretty much supported themselves the first few years by selling these truck parts. I never heard anything about them having the rights to the "Packard" name although since they were former Packard dealers it is a possibility that they would have an intrest.

Ed Reynolds

Comment

Thank You Mr. Reynolds. I sincerely hope the last chapter of the saga of the Studebaker parts supply has yet to be written,NOT ending as it appears to be now!

Comment

Rich, has Dennis decided to open for Saturday hours yet, until this is over? Sure would help the rest of us who can't afford to take time off of work during M-F right now, but would love to get some needed parts. Even a full Friday and half a Saturday would make it worthwhile. There's so much stuff to look through.

Comment

I don't think that is in the works unless a lot of guys let him know they really need it.

Comment

Working...
                X