Tailpipe emissions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailpipe emissions???

I have an original 1962 GT Hawk that just turned 58,000 miles. It is stored in an unheated garage in my basement (45 this morning) and when I took the car out this morning for its annual safety inspection I noticed that moisture was only coming out of the left bank of the motor (dual exhausts). I let the car warm up for a couple of minutes and there was a small puddle of water under the left pipe and no visible water vapor coming from the right.

Any ideas?

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

The exhaust was coming out of the left pipe because the heat riser valve attached to the right exhaust manifold was still closed. That valve is closed when cold and it directs hot exhaust through a passageway in the intake manifold where it warms the area around the carburator. That makes the gasoline vaporize much easier and is especially valuable in cold weather. There's a coil spring on the valve that expands as it warms up and opens the valve which will then let exhaust come out the right pipe.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Kirchhoff

The exhaust was coming out of the left pipe because the heat riser valve attached to the right exhaust manifold was still closed. That valve is closed when cold and it directs hot exhaust through a passageway in the intake manifold where it warms the area around the carburator. That makes the gasoline vaporize much easier and is especially valuable in cold weather. There's a coil spring on the valve that expands as it warms up and opens the valve which will then let exhaust come out the right pipe.
      I'd add to John's post...if exhaust NEVER started coming out the right tailpipe, then that heat riser is stuck (fairly common). Use some penetrating oil to loosen it up.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Everyone responding is right on. You're describing perfectly normal operation, but by the time the thermostat opens you should have full flavored exhaust coming out both pipes. Easy check is to pop the hood and grab ahold of the counterweight (WITH THE ENGINE COLD!) on the heat riser, which is in between the manifold and head pipe on the passenger side of the engine. It should move freely but snap shut with spring pressure when you let go of it.

good luck,

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I should have thought of that. [B)] I am going out now to see if it is loose.

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Comment

When I went out to put the car back in its berth I carried a can of Liquid Wrench with me. It was for naught as the heat riser was free! [] Thanks for the help.

Comment

" the heat riser was free! []" By golly - between that and the cost of the advice, you done made out like a bandit![^]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,

The advantages of the Hawk coming from Bakersfield are once again manifested.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Same with the California '60 wagon. Sat for 23 years and the heat riser works beautifully. Western cars rock [].

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Same with the California '60 wagon. Sat for 23 years and the heat riser works beautifully. Western cars rock [].
                    Original heat riser on my '53 works perfectly and it left California in 1970.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Even in the rust belt, the only reason why they rust shut is no exercise. DRIVE 'EM IF YA GOT 'EM.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

hotwheels, if you mean not having one on the car, I can testify that if your vehicle uses manifold heat to operate the choke, not having one causes problems. Chrysler 318's are notorious for having carbon plug up the crossover chamber in the intake manifold. The heat coming through heats up the coil spring on the choke and with no exhaust coming though, the choke takes a month of Sundays to open. Even the ones with the little electric heater still need exhaust heat to open them properly. After you get it fired up in really cold weather, you raise the hood and use a clothespin to wedge the choke open. Otherwise, they'll literally choke themselves to death. Over the years, I've had four 318's and had to remove the intake manifold on each of them to clean it out so the choke would operate like it's supposed to. The other alternative is to mount a manual choke but that doesn't replace the warming effect around the carb area. I recently bought a new valve for my '51, the old one broke in half where the butterfly shaft goes through. Don't ask me how, but it sure did.

Comment

John; I can still remember to this day the sound of a Mopar warming up or idling. That darned heat riser always rattled! Might have had something to do with the condition you describe, maybe not! When my brand new '76 Volare Premier Station wagon (with fake wood trim) with 318 V-8 started rattling, the dealer sold me some Mopar "heat riser spray"! If they had a weak spring it would not help of course! That was the last and one of only two NEW cars I've ever owned since starting to drive in 1959. [:0] You can guess what the other hundred or so were and are! [^]

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have an old '90 Dodge caravan with the fake woodgrain. That stuff looks so domestic, domestic as in a soccer mom, groceries hauler, McDonald's stopper and so on. Trying to pick up chicks in a vehicle with woodgrain is an impossibility! When your teenage son wants to borrow a car, that's the one you give him!

Comment

One thing an electric or manual choke (I have one on the 1 ton) doesn't do is heat the carb up early on, in really cold weather, that does make a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X