PDA

View Full Version : Got to visit Shrock Brothers the other day

jeryst
06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I got my first issue of Turning Wheels, and as I was perusing the vendor section, an ad leapt out at me. It said "Studebaker Reproduction Parts", but that's not what got my attention. What got my attention, was that the location was Coalport PA, which is less than an hour away from me. I didn't know anything even remotely Studebaker was that close to me. I immediately gave them a call, and they said that they would be there for a while, so I punched their address into my GPS and hit the road. About 45 minutes later, I pulled into their driveway, and was greeted by Dave Shrock, who was sitting in the doorway of his garage, hand finishing a reproduction steering wheel he had made.

What a couple of great guys. I got a tour of their place, and got to see some cool toys, and some really nice vehicles. One of my favorites, is a custom gold Chrysler Cirrus convertible with a Hawk front end and small fins, that they created. It just amazes me how the two styles, so many decades apart, look so good together. Just goes to show how ahead of their time the Studebaker designers really were. But I think my new true love, is a 38 President. Too bad I'll never be able to find one (or be able to afford it if I do).

Anyway, I stayed around and chewed the fat for more than an hour, and learned a lot about Studebakers in the process.

Like I said, a couple of great guys, and a great asset to the Studebaker community, and I just wanted to publicly thank them for their hospitality.

Roscomacaw
06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds like you had a great time.;)

Pennsylvania - lack of "Studebaker" doin's??? I think that state is second only to South Bend as a Stude Mecca!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1963 Cruiser
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President two door

billmdonn
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
If you are close to Blairsville, Craig Piper's Westmorland Studebaker is right there.

"I know nothing"

Sargent Schultz

studegary
06-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I rembember finding the Shrocks in Coalport before GPS and I was driving a full size pickup pulling a fully loaded large trailer back to NY from South Bend. One of those trips that you tend not to forget.

I believe that the Hawk convertible is based on a Chrysler Sebring.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

rockne10
06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Here's Shrock's "TommyHawk" next to BondoBilly's HFH.http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/view5.jpg

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

jeryst
06-08-2009, 03:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by studegary

I rembember finding the Shrocks in Coalport before GPS and I was driving a full size pickup pulling a fully loaded large trailer back to NY from South Bend. One of those trips that you tend not to forget.

I believe that the Hawk convertible is based on a Chrysler Sebring.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I thought he said Cirrus, but it could have been Sebring. I'm horrible with names.

Thanks for the photo Brad. I didn't see it with the top down, but it looks even better that way. It still just amazes me how the two styles compliment each other.