This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the line

Visited forum member Fred Cook in Redding, CA and helped him haul some scrap left from parting out a couple of big M16s. When Fred parts out a rig, there is little left to scrap. If you look up "pack rat" in the dictionary, there is a picture of Fred there .

I hauled a 152" wheelbase fishplated M16 frame, rear springs, front end, and a cut up M5 frame (it was too far gone to be saved).

Fred had the front stub of another M16 frame, a broken Commander engine, and a bent M5 rear end

I don't know what all the talk is about high scrap prices. I think we got $20 a ton. Maybe scrappers are paying more in other parts of the country? At this rate, a typical Studebaker is worth about 30 bucks as scrap. Hardly pays the gas (let alone the trouble of hauling it around). If you got a junker, keep it or part it out. If a seller intimidates you with a threat of getting rich by taking a car you want to a scrapper, let him know the facts.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

I agree on the scrap prices, people tell me all the time that they are hearing that scrap is high, the last few things I have scraped, non Studebaker items, have yeilded about the same amount of money it did 5 years ago. Mabeye the high prices are what the scrap yard is getting when they sell the stuff.

Comment

I agree on the scrap prices, people tell me all the time that they are hearing that scrap is high, the last few things I have scraped, non Studebaker items, have yeilded about the same amount of money it did 5 years ago. Mabeye the high prices are what the scrap yard is getting when they sell the stuff.

Comment

A friend of mine in Tallahassee, FL gets $100.00 per car once he has stripped it out. And he really chops 'em up! If ANY nut or bolt can be saved, he gets it. Then he sells the rotted, cut up hull for big $$$...

Comment

A friend of mine in Tallahassee, FL gets $100.00 per car once he has stripped it out. And he really chops 'em up! If ANY nut or bolt can be saved, he gets it. Then he sells the rotted, cut up hull for big $$$...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

My son sold four vehicles several weeks ago for scrap at $100 each (two Firebirds and two Subaru Brats). They had to be complete cars for the $100 price. He took a Subaru 4wd station wagon with no drive train at all, no floors, etc. to a local scrap metal buyer and got $42 for it. It broke in two when they tried to lift it off the trailer.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
            Museum R-4 engine
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

My son sold four vehicles several weeks ago for scrap at $100 each (two Firebirds and two Subaru Brats). They had to be complete cars for the $100 price. He took a Subaru 4wd station wagon with no drive train at all, no floors, etc. to a local scrap metal buyer and got $42 for it. It broke in two when they tried to lift it off the trailer.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
              X