PDA

View Full Version : Need parts for my 1939 Studebaker Commander

39Studebakergal
06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone

We got the 39 stude to the shop and now we are starting a parts list for all that we need. I know that we need a passenger running board and passenger & driver's rear fender. Looks like we will also need a steering wheel, headlamps, and possibly a hood.

We will be making quite a large list next week, and I have been looking online unsuccessfully for any parts for this car. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Missy

Missy Holifield
Owner/CFO
Wolfman Concepts
1939 Studebaker

dictator27
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Missy
Rear fenders interchange with '39 Stude President 8.
The part numbers are different for '39 & '40 Commander running boards, but the differences could be minor. Worth checking out.
There are two types of steering wheels. The two spoke wheel was used from '38-40, the three spoke phantom wheel from 38-41. Both wheels were available in a variety of colours. 1939 was the year Stude shifted from bulb type headlights to sealed beam units. The assemblies aren't the same, so would have to be replaced as a unit. No serial number given as to when the change occurred.

You should put this post on the Antique Studebaker site as well.

Terry

39Studebakergal
06-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Terry!
I will check into all that info on parts.
Where wouldd the post go on that site Terry?

Missy

Missy Holifield
Owner/CFO
Wolfman Concepts
1939 Studebaker Commander

dictator27
06-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Missy
Go to www.theantiquestudebakerclub.com. When the site comes up, scroll down the page. There are a series of headings in red letters. The bottom one says "The forum has a new look", click on that. At the bottom of that page there is a picture of a little girl in a 1915 roadster, click on that. That brings up the Antique Automobile Club of America web site. Log in (upper right). What you use here is fine. The AACA General Discussion Forum will come up. Scroll down that. Studebaker is near the bottom of the Domestic Makes section. Click on Stude and you are good to go. Finally!:D[}:)][^][:p]

Terry

39Studebakergal
06-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks Terry

I got in and posted there as well.
I just got back from a car hunt trip about 10 miles from my house, the guy had a 1937 Commander 100% original with everything in tact..of course needed a full resto. He had sold it Saturday for $1500.00...I was just sick about it. I have my eye on another '39 Commander that I would like to purchase this weekend to use as a parts car. I am hoping to have a complete parts list by the weekend. Next week we will have new tires and wheels on it, and we will start blasting the metal. I hope with the help of the 2 forums I can find as many parts as possible over the next 3 or 4 months.

Missy

Missy Holifield
Owner/CFO
Wolfman Concepts

rockne10
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Missy,
Don't know how deep your wallet is but, Shrock Brothers should be in your index file. Their stuff is top shelf and some of it not available anywhere else.
http://shrockbrothers.com/
Don't let the miniatures fool you. Click on the "Studebaker Parts" tab on their web site.
You should also join the Antique Studebaker Club. The magazine has lots of vendors for pre-war items.
it wouldn't upset me if you joined SDC as well.:D

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

39Studebakergal
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
rockne10: I will check out Shrock Brothers for sure. I intend to join ASC and have already joined SDC. I have also been in touch with my local SDC as well. When I do something I do it all the way...that's why when I decided I wanted a stude my husband said..."uh-oh we will be buying every stude she can find"...lol.

All our clients like the standard old cars...we like different and classy.

Missy Holifield
Owner/CFO
Wolfman Concepts

39Studebakergal
06-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I think we have decided to fabricate most of the metal on the stude. But the list is going to be very long on everything else. I would love to figure out original colors and interior, etc. I just can't read the frame tag. Any ideas?

Missy Holifield
Owner/CFO
Wolfman Concepts

rockne10
06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
With the Serial No. (VIN), if you can find it, you can obtain a copy of the original production order from the Studebaker National Museum.

In its absence, you will probably want a copy of the TURNING WHEELS issue that highlights the 1939 models. (Members, help out here as I don't know which issue addressed the 1939.)

I would be surprised if you can't find some small spot of original color somewhere. Here's a 1939 chip sheet.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1939-studebaker-pg01.jpg

Brad Johnson
Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/Rockne/th_Rocknegauges.jpg'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight